Ugh just UGH!!

Options
Well let's see today I'm feeling frustrated, angry, belligerent, overwhelmed, defeated, annoyed, and just overall PO'd! Why? Why can't I control myself. I start out on a healthier lifestyle aka diet and everything goes pretty well. I lose 20 or so lbs when I need to lose about 80 or so then it all goes to hell. Usually about 3 months in I start feeling anxious, deprived and angry that I have to eat healthy when the whole damn world seems to be eating pizza. I start to loath all those healthy foods that I actually do love, but I really begin detesting them. I despise what they represent to me and that is deprivation. Now mind you I'm fairly sensible about this healthy lifestyle. I realize that sometimes you do need a break and to eat a slice or two of pizza. What gets me in trouble is I get annoyed that I only get a slice or two. What the hades? Why can't I just enjoy my slice and move on. Do I really want the whole damn pizza? No, it's just the principal of the matter. So in a lapse of judgement, or moment of sheer rebellion I eat way way more than I really want or need. After that it's a downhill slope back in into the unhealthy lifestyle. WTF?!? I stop exercising saying I'll do it tomorrow. This happens EVERY SINGLE TIME! I've gained nearly all 22 lbs that I've lost back. Another 4 lbs and I'm right back where I started. I did this in a matter of maybe 2 months...maybe and it took me nearly 4 to lose it. Seriously PO'd at myself. I despise my lack of self control. I despise that I can't make it stick. Ugh just freaking UGH!!! Ok sorry yes this is a rant and a plea and have mercy I don't know what else, a shout to the world outside of my door.

Replies

• oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It sounds like you are struggling between two selves: the angry one that resists change because it's hard and it can hurt and the positive one that creates good habits, doesn't deprive herself, and keeps on keeping on. Losing weight is hard, and it can foment resentment when you look at others who don't need to struggle or you can't eat a whole pizza to soothe yourself. Anger is not necessarily a bad thing, it can even motivate fierce change, but when it's dominating you and your weight loss efforts, it can be toxic. The first step here is to learn to accept yourself and your situation, to be kind to yourself while simultaneously not giving up.

I find in my own efforts that it's all about creating habits. I don't feel like working out? Do it anyway. Put on my workout clothes and sneakers at least. Once I've done that, okay, walk to the gym or down the block. I'm doing a running training and last week I did NOT want to go to the gym. But I walked there anyway (it's on the college campus where I work), resentfully put on my workout clothes, moped on the treadmill, petulant and stubborn. But I found that I felt better in a little while and much better when it was all over. So I take that moment to imprint my brain with that result: "See what happens when you see something through? You feel better." I'm committed to feeling better because I was sick and tired of putting myself down, hating myself, judging myself and thinking I was a useless, weak person. I changed those messages with hard work and new habits that made me feel good about myself.

It's very difficult to be both accepting and to push yourself to keep going, no matter what. Stop despising yourself. It does no good whatsoever. If you are angry, accept it, use it, but don't turn it inward. Be fierce if you're angry. Let it push you to "never again" while letting other, more gentle emotions inspire you to keep going. You can do it!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    You aren't the only person who's ever struggled with this. We do it every day. And some of us fail. There's a chinese proverb. Fall down 7 times. Get up 8.

So you messed up. So get right back up the very next meal. Stand up and dust yourself off and get back to business. Right away. You're human, so put the mistake behind you. And learn from the experience. Next time, maybe try budgeting some fudge room for an extra slice of pizza or a sweet. You don't want to exercise? Just do it. It's only 30 min. Then it's over. You will feel better after.

I was 92lbs overweight. I'd lose 30 or 40, get fed up with the injustice of it all and start eating like a pig again. What I've finally learned is that it IS fair. People who eat too much every day are overweight. The ones that do not eat too much most days are not. There are people of a healthy weight who eat pizza. But if you see them eating a lot of it, what you aren't seeing is their moderation the rest of the day. Sacrifice is required. Moderation is required. And those who have sacrificed and moderated their calories, are a healthy weight. They may feel like we do and want to EAT ALL THE FOODS. But they don't.

I've had to be very stern with myself. I don't cut myself any slack. I must be ruthless. It IS fair. I can't eat unlimited calories. No one can eat unlimited calories. It's human physiology. So I don't. I track. I budget for my treats. And I have lost 59lbs. More to lose but over halfway there.

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." Well that's trite, but it's true. It is worth it to me to sacrifice and moderate my eating. I make it happen. And if I go over calories, do I get upset and give up? Hell no. I get up that 8th time and move on and make my plan work. You only fail if you quit. So get right up, and don't wallow around feeling sorry for yourself, just own the mistake and get right back to work.

Good luck. It will only happen if you make it happen. :smile:
  • lildynarider
    lildynarider Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Snort at baconslave love the name btw. Oh I am very aware of the fairness thing. I think it is more of what oedipa said. I have a bit of a pity party and resentful attitude then turn back to what I've always done, self medicate that anger with food. Holy terror batman! I did not look at it like that. All other things I catch it ya know. I see it coming down the pike hey this thing angered me or had a stressful day ok this could result in me eating so I think it out. Instead I'll take a walk. How in the blue blazes did I miss that my resentfulness at not being able to self medicate with food was actually pushing me to (shocker here) self medicating with food. Oh ick!! I know all those darn tricks of budgeting for treats, moderation, walk instead of eating, but this is like a double wammy. I'm angry because I'm upset and can't eat so I'll get rid of the angry by eating which makes me upset at myself. Oh yeah I've got issues LOL Thanks guys for pep talk and the if at first you don't succeed try try again mentality.
  • sweedee1218
    sweedee1218 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    There are a two things I have learned since joining MFP that hepled me to understand why I have always failed in the past and how to succeed in the future.

1. Moderation not deprivation. Clean eating is not for everyone. I will never stop eating pizza, fried chicken, hot dogs, chinese food and cake and thats ok. Before I would try to eliminate things from my diet and after a few months I would crash and binge on all the things I wouldnt let myself have. Now I eat what I want but I budget my calories and make it fit. I also exercise to help stay in my calorie goal. I dont feel deprived because I get to eat the "bad" food I crave along with the "healthy" foods I enjoy. Its all about balance.

2. I also learned that one bad day does not mean failure. I would often give up after one day of over eating but that is not the way! I have learned to just start again the next day because odds are I have not eaten enough to gain weight in one day and I may even still lose some. I have been suprised many times when I felt like I had eaten too much that week but still lost weight because I kept trying and kept logging and exercising and didnt give up!

Dont beat yourself up, and stop depriving yourself of the things you like to eat. Find a way to make them fit! And dont give up!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Snort at baconslave love the name btw. Oh I am very aware of the fairness thing. I think it is more of what oedipa said. I have a bit of a pity party and resentful attitude then turn back to what I've always done, self medicate that anger with food. Holy terror batman! I did not look at it like that. All other things I catch it ya know. I see it coming down the pike hey this thing angered me or had a stressful day ok this could result in me eating so I think it out. Instead I'll take a walk. How in the blue blazes did I miss that my resentfulness at not being able to self medicate with food was actually pushing me to (shocker here) self medicating with food. Oh ick!! I know all those darn tricks of budgeting for treats, moderation, walk instead of eating, but this is like a double wammy. I'm angry because I'm upset and can't eat so I'll get rid of the angry by eating which makes me upset at myself. Oh yeah I've got issues LOL Thanks guys for pep talk and the if at first you don't succeed try try again mentality.

I do love me some bacon...

I used to be THE WORST emotional eater. So I know exactly what you are going through. I used to call M&Ms "antidepressants." LOL!. I've finally managed to divorce myself from connecting food to emotions. It was hard, but I stayed on myself, and distracted myself, and told myself how it was going to be, until it finally clicked. When I get upset now, I do other things I enjoy as an outlet instead. I only feel the need to eat when I'm really hungry. I hope you get there soon. I really feel so alive and unencumbered now that I don't have that nonsense weighing me down. Best wishes, hon. :flowerforyou:
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    dltoler wrote: »
    There are a two things I have learned since joining MFP that hepled me to understand why I have always failed in the past and how to succeed in the future.

1. Moderation not deprivation. Clean eating is not for everyone. I will never stop eating pizza, fried chicken, hot dogs, chinese food and cake and thats ok. Before I would try to eliminate things from my diet and after a few months I would crash and binge on all the things I wouldnt let myself have. Now I eat what I want but I budget my calories and make it fit. I also exercise to help stay in my calorie goal. I dont feel deprived because I get to eat the "bad" food I crave along with the "healthy" foods I enjoy. Its all about balance.

2. I also learned that one bad day does not mean failure. I would often give up after one day of over eating but that is not the way! I have learned to just start again the next day because odds are I have not eaten enough to gain weight in one day and I may even still lose some. I have been suprised many times when I felt like I had eaten too much that week but still lost weight because I kept trying and kept logging and exercising and didnt give up!

Dont beat yourself up, and stop depriving yourself of the things you like to eat. Find a way to make them fit! And dont give up!

this.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Learn to include pizza in your daily calories... And doughnuts and cake, or whatever else you enjoy... Eat in a deficit, lose weight... Problem solved.
  • lisaducharme54
    lisaducharme54 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Think about this more of a lifestyle change then a hard diet.
    You can still enjoy Pizza, and whatever you like. Like the others posted everything in moderation. Don't deprive!

Instead of looking at the healthy foods negatively maybe think of the positives that come from eating healthy, like longer lasting energy, and feeling better in general.

If you want pizza factor it in, and factor in the calories for your logging. You got this! Don't give up, I know what it feels like. It's hard losing weight and maintaining that same frame of mind to do so. However it's only today, make the next meal count.

Make a list of reasons why you want to lose this weight! Keep motivational quotes by you.

Take It in small increments your success instead of looking at the full 80lbs to lose take it by five pounds or even losing 1-2 lbs a week is a success!

Lisa
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Back away from the scale. Don't dwell in hate and negativity because of a number. It won't help.
    You are a human being. If you never lost another pound, you should still treat yourself well.
    Every day is a new day. I repeat that to myself pretty often. Let go of yesterday and move on.

I think what you wrote here is important. Maybe print it out. When you think of eating a whole pizza recognize it as not being from hunger and stop. You can work through your emotions without overeating. Recognize that a feeling is temporary. Try some anger management techniques. Maybe meditate, listen to music, write about what you are feeling, go for a drive, go for a walk outside, get a hobby, drink some water... just go do something else until the emotion passes.

I would think about reasons you are changing your eating patterns and exercising other than losing 80 pounds. Why do you want to lose weight? Write down all the positive results you've had other than the number on the scale. Are you reducing or avoiding medical problems? Do you feel healthier or stronger? Can you walk or run farther? Can you lift more?

You might change how you think about foods.
    I think of the healthy foods I eat as adding to my diet instead of taking something away. I'm adding more vegetables and fruits. I'm adding more whole grains. I'm trying new things. My food options have expanded.
    Could you eat a whole pizza every single day and lose weight? Yes. Log it and fit it in your plan. Get some exercise. You know that if you simply burn more calories than you eat then you will lose weight no matter what you eat. Do you you want to eat only pizza every day or do you want to enjoy a variety of foods? Do you want to exercise more or less? You are in control here.

Good luck. Be nice to yourself.
  • jprivett85
    jprivett85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I totally know that feeling. I have yo-yo'd dieted for most of my life and it is not fun. I have felt all the same emotions you are feeling. I really want this time to be different and have so far been successful by focusing on those triggers and feelings. So when I think about getting up for seconds or more slices I drink a glass of water and think, "how am I going to feel after I eat that?". I would like to believe that after this diet journey I will not re-gain the weight because I have my daughter now as motivation to be and stay healthy. but I do LOVE FOOD. I believe I have been a food addict, and perhaps am still trying to overcome the addiction. I like to feel full, I like to snack while I watch TV, I see food as the main thing to do when I "go out". FOOD FOOD FOOD. However, moderation is key is what I am always hearing. what it really boils down to is I will never be thin/healthy weight unless I finally buckle down and buckle my lips shut. I agree with some of the others who said "don't deprive yourself" this is very true. On Halloween, I had a couple pieces of candy. At a birthday party I shared a piece of cake with my daughter. But I TOTALLY get it. Sometimes you want that second piece. Science tells us that the sugar/carbs release endorphins that make us feel good. Like a drug, we need more and more to feel that high. but I digress. I'm glad you are not throwing in the towel. it's ok to vent. please do often. Keep at it and never give up!! :smiley:
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Well you feel deprived when you eat healthy. Does that mean you are really eating healthy? Are you getting enough fats and protein or are you living on salad and good intentions?

I can certainly understand where you are coming from. I was on about 8-10k calories a day before I started tracking according to my estimations. I weighted 338lbs. And going from that to about 2000 calories a day is a real jolt to the system. The first month or two is the hardest. But I focused on fueling my body and making sure that my body didn't have anything actually real to complain about and threw myself into improving myself physically. I didn't exercise to burn calories I exercised to improve my fitness level. At first 20 minutes walking and 20 minutes on the dumbbells was about all I could do. But I slowly pushed for more. I focused on that and learned a lot about how my body works. So much so that it distracted me from hunger a lot of the time. I think that's what brought me success. The trick is to distract yourself. If you spend untold hours feeling sorry for yourself because you can't eat .. you wont make it .. ever.

No one can resist temptation that claws at them every moment of the day no one is that strong. So the secret is to fill your day with distractions. And really make sure you enjoy those meal times. Don't eat crap like slimfast shakes or salads without dressing because they have "less calories". One of the biggest traps of calorie counting is to avoid high calorie healthy food like unsalted nuts or olive oil because of fear of going over budget. But foods like that will actually satiate you for longer.

Eventually your body just gets used to eating less. However this takes months. Hard grueling months where you are tempted many times. Now I often think back to the kind of things I used to eat. Large 12" pizzas with bacon bites round the edges extra cheese and all the meat toppings. I mean honestly those things where sometimes like 6k calories on their own and I would supplement that with a two or three of bottles of full sugar coke, 2 litre bottles and a few packs of sweets during the day. Needless to say it's a miracle I don't have diabetes. When I even think about eating that kind of food now you know what i think ... Ueeergh.

The exact same feeling you get when you consider eating healthily I now get in response to my old eating styles. The worm does turn eventually. But you need to be in it for the long haul and more importantly in it for YOURSELF. This isn't going to work if you are trying to conform to societies malformed expectation of skinny = beautiful and healthy. You need to want to be really healthy yourself. For yourself. Because let's be honest hear stranger's opinions aren't going to win over the taste of really good cake.

I hit my target weight of 225lbs about a month ago. I am still chubby but now am visibly well muscled. Am eating 3.5k calories a day and regaining some of the weight. But in a good way. Despite a 6lb weight gain my waist has lost 2 inches since I came off my restrictions. I am satisfied and healthy. I run 3 12km runs a week and lift for an hour 3 times a week at a gym that involves a 2 hour walk to go there and back. And of course .. I walk it. I am not trying to show off. You can totally do that too. When I started this it took me several attempts to get up off the floor. And do not underestimate the importance of exercise performance and fitness. If you demand a lot from your body then it will have much better things to do than lay down tonnes of fat reserves. Exercise is a necessary stimulation and even if you do lose weight through starving yourself you will probably end up looking like a punctured bagpipe.

I lost 115 lbs and honestly I don't think I even felt this healthy as a teenager. Trust me it's totally worth the cost.
  • Samantha030809
    Options
    I used to feel this way, that it is SO unfair that some people can eat whatever they want an don't gain weight, but if I eat whatever I want, I do gain weight. But what I came to realize is that their version of "whatever I want" and my version of "whatever I want" are two completely different things. My fiance is one of those people who can eat "whatever" and doesn't gain, but here's the thing... in an average day he might get up, go to work, grab a coffee and bagel, on his lunch break get another coffee, sometimes eat a small sandwich, then go home at the end of the day and eat dinner (he's middle eastern, so it would usually consist of some rice and meat). So "whatever" he wants isn't actually a lot, and is often quite balanced. He loves chips and salsa, chicken wings, pizza, cheeseburgers, but also loves fresh fruits and salads. When I go through my phases of eating "whatever I want", it often looks like this: Breakfast - either McDonald's or Tim Horton's; Lunch - Wendy's (2 jr. cheeseburgers and a frosty); Dinner - either some takeout, a frozen pizza (which I will cook and eat all by myself myself), and/or a feast of junk food (chips, ice cream, cookies, candy; as much as I can eat before I feel like I'll throw up). Yes, I have a problem, but I have accepted it and have eaten very differently for a month now.

While it may seem unfair, it isn't. And I would never wish my problems with food on another person, in order to balance out the unfairness. Some of us struggle with food, while some of us don't. I've accepted that I may never be able to eat as 'freely' as some people do, and that's okay. We're all different. What's important to me now is eating the way I have started to eat, staying away from junk food as much as possible (as I clearly can't control myself when it comes to junk food), and not going back to hating myself every day, going to bed every single night saying "tomorrow I'll start eating better", and feeling ashamed and embarrassed of myself every single day.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Have you mapped out your goals and given them aim through a program that regulates your progress, or are you just getting in workouts all willy nilly?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're restricting too much. Prelog your food, and make 2 piece of pizza fit in there. You'll see that it's actually enough and you won't really need to eat more.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I used to feel this way, that it is SO unfair that some people can eat whatever they want an don't gain weight, but if I eat whatever I want, I do gain weight. But what I came to realize is that their version of "whatever I want" and my version of "whatever I want" are two completely different things. My fiance is one of those people who can eat "whatever" and doesn't gain, but here's the thing... in an average day he might get up, go to work, grab a coffee and bagel, on his lunch break get another coffee, sometimes eat a small sandwich, then go home at the end of the day and eat dinner (he's middle eastern, so it would usually consist of some rice and meat). So "whatever" he wants isn't actually a lot, and is often quite balanced. He loves chips and salsa, chicken wings, pizza, cheeseburgers, but also loves fresh fruits and salads. When I go through my phases of eating "whatever I want", it often looks like this: Breakfast - either McDonald's or Tim Horton's; Lunch - Wendy's (2 jr. cheeseburgers and a frosty); Dinner - either some takeout, a frozen pizza (which I will cook and eat all by myself myself), and/or a feast of junk food (chips, ice cream, cookies, candy; as much as I can eat before I feel like I'll throw up). Yes, I have a problem, but I have accepted it and have eaten very differently for a month now.

While it may seem unfair, it isn't. And I would never wish my problems with food on another person, in order to balance out the unfairness. Some of us struggle with food, while some of us don't. I've accepted that I may never be able to eat as 'freely' as some people do, and that's okay. We're all different. What's important to me now is eating the way I have started to eat, staying away from junk food as much as possible (as I clearly can't control myself when it comes to junk food), and not going back to hating myself every day, going to bed every single night saying "tomorrow I'll start eating better", and feeling ashamed and embarrassed of myself every single day.

Oh my, that is so true.

I would also add that typically, people who don't overeat will not hide when they eat junk or fast food and/or food in very large quantity. For example, they won't eat only salad and fat free yogurt in the office lunch room, then eat fast or junk food when they are alone at home. So this may give the impression that they "constantly" eat junk food, which is just not true.