What type of exercise for obese women

Options
So I'm just under 300 lbs (296) and I'm wondering if anyone has found a good weight loss exercise routine that has helped who started around my weight?

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Sorry I didn't start at your weight but I'd recommend the same. Strength training :)

With bodyweight or free weights or whatever you enjoy but start now to help maintain lean mass while you lose fat.

I'm sure others can advise on good cardio but I don't like it so....

Honestly, just find something you enjoy and are likely to stick at.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I started at your weight with swimming & brisk walking along with elliptical trainer at the gym. I then started running using the C25K programme but took it much slower than the 3 sessions a week (usually only 1 or 2) but made sure I did some sort of exercise every day. 18months on I'm down 133lbs and have run a number of half marathons.

The key thing is to find something you enjoy. I know at the moment that most exercise hurts but if you fancy trying something I'd recommend giving yourself 4 weeks before you decide its not actually for you so you have time to get over the initial aches and pains a new exercise regime brings.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Go to YouTube and search for Launchpad. It's designed specifically for obese people.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I didn't start at that weight range, but I was obese when I started.

Leslie Sansone has great walking DVDs (2 miles, 3 miles, 4-5 miles) that you can do at home. You can find those at stores or online on amazon.com. Find something you like because you're more likely to stick with it. And listen to your body. Take rest days when you have to. This is a journey, not a sprint. You didn't gain the weight in a short period of time, so give yourself time to lose it slowly.
  • ChubbyVAgirl
    ChubbyVAgirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I currently try to go to the gym 5-7 days a week for an hour at a time. I usually do 20-40 minutes of cardio and 20-40 minutes of light weights. I did my first 10K this year and completed it in just under 2 hours! I'm going to do the same 10K this year but hope to have my time down. I've heard a lot about the C25K I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to use it yet.. have you seen any improvement since using it?
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I started at 360. I like group classes at the Y... Zumba, step aerobics, etc. I just modified to suit my fitness level.. so while everyone else was using two risers on their step, I just used the platform.. or in Zumba, when everyone else was jumping and hopping, I'd just step in the same direction. I was also careful not to twist my knees too much because with a big body it is a lot more difficult to twist around exposing you to injury.. so if you do zumba, just watch your knees. I also really enjoyed doing the elliptical because it is pretty easy on the joints. I also enjoyed bicycle riding though you just need to make sure you have a sturdy bike and hills can be a problem.. but if you're in a fairly flat area, bicycling is a fun way to enjoy exercise. Of course the most natural way to get exercise is WALKING.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Well done on the 10 k! Sounds like you do plenty :)

Like I said, do what you enjoy BUT if you can stand it, I'd suggest - progressively increasing the weights so that it's heavy (for you) and maybe do the cardio afterwards so you have more energy for the strength stuff.

But that's just a suggestion - you do a hell of a lot more than me :blush:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I've noticed at my Y, they have a lot of class programming for the larger and less trained crowd. Might be something to explore.
  • Samstan101
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I currently try to go to the gym 5-7 days a week for an hour at a time. I usually do 20-40 minutes of cardio and 20-40 minutes of light weights. I did my first 10K this year and completed it in just under 2 hours! I'm going to do the same 10K this year but hope to have my time down. I've heard a lot about the C25K I downloaded it but haven't had a chance to use it yet.. have you seen any improvement since using it?

Well done on your gym commitment. As above I'd suggest switching to heavy weights (for you) as you want to retain as much muscle mass as possible whilst losing weight (don't worry about getting 'bulky' as its almost impossible to gain muscle eating at a deficit and anyway its difficult for women to gain significant muscle mass without a great deal of dedicated training).

As for C25K - I went from struggling to run for literally 1min last May to so far this year I've run 6 Half Marathons, a number of 10ks (quickest was last weekend and took me 52mins) and run my local 5k parkrun most weekends (my 1st 5k took me over 50mins last August, my current PB is 25:17) and I'm now training for a spring marathon (ran 14 miles this morning) so I can definitely say I've seen some improvements since using C25K! What I will add is I really disliked the first few weeks on it as it felt tough but then I started seeing and feeling improvements - now I'm totally addicted.

Best of luck :)
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I started at 346 or so, and I used walking for the first few weeks. After about a month, I added weightlifting and since then I have been walking briskly for 40-45 minutes three times a week and weightlifting three times a week. I also enjoy hiking on the weekends. I'm now a smidge under 300 pounds. :)

I enjoy the weightlifting so much more than the walking, but walking is a good stress reliever for me. I agree that you need to find something you enjoy (or can at least tolerate). For me, walking is convenient and inexpensive, and I weightlift with my husband at home, so it's also convenient and inexpensive. I'm not inclined to go to a gym after work, and I like activities that I can do at home.

Good luck to you on your journey!
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I started heavier than you at a "super morbidly obese" BMI and have recently crossed over into "overweight." Including exercise has been a big part of my success so far (frankly because it helps me eat enough so I don't feel deprived, but also because DAYUM my body has been very cooperative about retaining lean mass while I've lost >145 lbs so far).

Here are my thoughts:

1. Right now, the most important thing for you is establishing a habit you'll stick with. The "effectiveness" should be a low priority. Focus on making sure you do have a stable routine and that you stick to it. Start out with low goals. I started with just a few minutes of stretching every day, but quickly progressed to adding 20 minutes of light cardio, and then built up steadily from there until in a month or two I was doing 45 minutes of light cardio 6X a week.

2. It's gonna suck for the first several months no matter what you do. But that's okay! You can push through. And I promise, once you've got a few months under your (rapidly loosening) belt, it does start to feel really really right. For the first few months, it really actually helped me to workout pretty much every day -- taking days off (planned or unplanned) interrupted my momentum and made me dread getting back to it much harder. Because I wasn't lifting heavy weights and was essentially just doing cardiovascular conditioning and mobility work at first, taking rest days wasn't really as important as it becomes once you're doing high intensity work or lifting heavy. I also made it a habit to "talk myself" into exercising by making myself dress out for it, even if I didn't feel like exercising. It discouraged me from making exercise something I did "if I had time" if I had an obligation to change my clothes at least. But my point is, you may have to play some psych ops with yourself. It's okay -- just keep at it.

3. Threads like this inevitably attract advice from well-meaning fit young people who have never been obese and who often give, frankly, terrible advice based on a failure to account for your probable limitations. Unless you're VERY young, you'll probably want to stay away from high-impact activity until you lose more weight. (Generally, that means any exercise where both feet leave the floor from time to time: running and jumping are the prime examples. By the way, "high impact" and "high intensity" are not the same thing. Once your cardiovascular system is conditioned, you can do "high intensity" work even while very obese.)

4. Understand that while it's perfectly normal and okay that right now you will have limitations in terms of endurance, joint pain, reduced mobility, balance and bio-mechanical issues because your center of gravity is probably located somewhere different than it is for people with standard-issue body size, etc., none of those things mean that you can't exercise. There's always a way to get in some exercise. You'll just have to be open to modifications. Workout vid wants you to do jumping jacks? LOL no thanks but I'll do power jacks instead. Yoga vid tells you how relaxed you should feel during sivasana? LOL not with the junk in my trunk -- I'll have to keep my knees bent and feet on the floor. Etc. A sense of humor and a willingness to experiment will go a long way.

5. Specifically, I started with FitnessBlender.com, which offers tons of free streaming workout videos. The really great thing is that they've tagged all their workouts by difficulty level, so you can just filter to level 1 (those are pretty much stretching only) and level 2 (stretching and relatively easy cardio and "toning") while you're acclimatizing your body to regular exercise.

6. Walking is a FANTASTIC fat-burner when you're obese. SRSLY. Walk as much as your knees will let you. And yes, understand that your knees and possibly your heels will object at some point. Listen to them, and don't push them too far at first. Get a decent pair of walking shoes, and maybe some orthotic inserts for plantar fascitiis (pf is a common complaint among obese people who walk a lot. I had it, and it went away after I lost some weight though.) Just gradually work your way up as your joints let you.

7. I got a kettlebell last year and found that was a great way to get in a very sweaty, sweaty low-impact workout using a bit of resistance. Best fitness money I ever spent.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Start by walking as far as you can, as fast as you can, and build from there. Strength training is great as well as biking (either on the trails or stationary). Whatever you do - do something you enjoy so it's not a chore (or it's not going to happen on a consistent basis).

Good luck!

20757594.png
  • ChubbyVAgirl
    ChubbyVAgirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I wasn't expecting such great advice when I wrote this! thank you all for the tips and advice and encouragement! and thank you for the personal testaments too!! motivation!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    For now, I would suggest choosing whatever exercises you enjoy the most and will likely adhere to.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I started out at your weight. I joined the local aquatic center. Monday, Wednesday and Friday I swam and did the water aerobics. Tuesday and Thursday I did the treadmill and stepper plus the weights. During the week for regular exercise I walked and when I went to the store to shop I parked further away from the entrances.

Start out slow though. If you push to hard to fast your body will protest. When I started walking I was PATHETIC to the extreme. Could only last 10 to 15 minutes at first. The swimming I had less trouble with. Still, it was sad. 2 laps and DONE. Then we moved and the new places around here were just plain out of my price range. The good news is that when I left I was doing close to 30 laps at a time...and walking was up to an hour.

Just remember, You don't get there overnight so don't stress too much. It took me 2 years to get to where I am. Been in maintenance now for about 3 years.
  • Samstan101
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    I started heavier than you at a "super morbidly obese" BMI and have recently crossed over into "overweight." Including exercise has been a big part of my success so far (frankly because it helps me eat enough so I don't feel deprived, but also because DAYUM my body has been very cooperative about retaining lean mass while I've lost >145 lbs so far.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Right now, the most important thing for you is establishing a habit you'll stick with. The "effectiveness" should be a low priority. Focus on making sure you do have a stable routine and that you stick to it. Start out with low goals. I started with just a few minutes of stretching every day, but quickly progressed to adding 20 minutes of light cardio, and then built up steadily from there until in a month or two I was doing 45 minutes of light cardio 6X a week.

2. It's gonna suck for the first several months no matter what you do. But that's okay! You can push through. And I promise, once you've got a few months under your (rapidly loosening) belt, it does start to feel really really right. For the first few months, it really actually helped me to workout pretty much every day -- taking days off (planned or unplanned) interrupted my momentum and made me dread getting back to it much harder. Because I wasn't lifting heavy weights and was essentially just doing cardiovascular conditioning and mobility work at first, taking rest days wasn't really as important as it becomes once you're doing high intensity work or lifting heavy. I also made it a habit to "talk myself" into exercising by making myself dress out for it, even if I didn't feel like exercising. It discouraged me from making exercise something I did "if I had time" if I had an obligation to change my clothes at least. But my point is, you may have to play some psych ops with yourself. It's okay -- just keep at it.

3. Threads like this inevitably attract advice from well-meaning fit young people who have never been obese and who give, frankly, terrible advice based on a failure to account for your probable limitations. Unless you're VERY young, you'll probably want to stay away from high-impact activity until you lose more weight. (Generally, that means any exercise where both feet leave the floor from time to time: running and jumping are the prime examples. By the way, "high impact" and "high intensity" are not the same thing. Once you're cardiovascular system is conditioned, you can do "high intensity" work even while very obese.)

4. Understand that while it's perfectly normal and okay that right now you will have limitations in terms of endurance, joint pain, reduced mobility, balance and bio-mechanical issues because your center of gravity is probably located somewhere different than it is for people with standard-issue body size, etc., none of those things mean that you can't exercise. There's always a way to get in some exercise. You'll just have to be open to modifications. Workout vid wants you do do jumping jacks? LOL no thanks but I'll do power jacks instead. Yoga vid tells you how relaxed you should feel during sivasana? LOL not with the junk in my trunk -- I'll have to keep my knees bent and feet on the floor. Etc. A sense of humor and a willingness to experiment will go a long way.

5. Specifically, I started with FitnessBlender.com, which offers tons of free streaming workout videos. The really great thing is that they've tagged all their workouts by difficulty level, so you can just filter to level 1 (those are pretty much stretching only) and level 2 (stretching and relatively easy cardio and "toning") while you're acclimatizing your body to regular exercise.

6. Walking is a FANTASTIC fat-burner when you're obese. SRSLY. Walk as much as your knees will let you. And yes, understand that your knees and possibly your heels will object at some point. Listen to them, and don't push them too far at first. Get a decent pair of walking shoes, and maybe some orthotic inserts for plantar fascitiis (pf is a common complaint among obese people who walk a lot I had it, and it went away after I lost some weight though.) Just gradually work your way up as your joints let you.

7. I got a kettlebell last year and found that was a great way to get in a very sweaty, sweaty low-impact workout using a bit of resistance. Best fitness money I ever spent.

All of this except the second part of point 3. Massively except 3 in my case! As a now 42 (then 40 coming up for 41) y-o the morbidly obese woman running was my saviour and my life changer. Do what you want which may or may not include running, skipping or hopping around your kitchen! The key is to listen to your body - sharp pain is bad as are severe aches that don't fade quickly. Muscle aches and even some joint aches are totally normal at your size. I found iceing my knees after harder workouts helped but really it was not pushing too hard too quickly but look for progressive improvements.

The other thing is make sure you're eating enough to fuel your workouts whilst allowing you to lose weight at a sustainable, sensible level. You don't need to be eating 1200 cals a day - I'm currently 171lbs and eating on average 2000 cals a day and losing 1lb a week. You don't need to be hungry, you need to find a diet & exercise routine that you can sustain forever, not just to lose weight and then go back to old habits and undo your hard work.

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    So I'm just under 300 lbs (296) and I'm wondering if anyone has found a good weight loss exercise routine that has helped who started around my weight?

I'm obese. 5'2", 249.5 lbs.

I'm a swimmer. That's the only significant exercise I've been doing since I started this diet back at the end of September and I've lost about 11 lbs so far.

I swim because I love it, and because I want to do big open water swims. Swam a mile this morning and it took me around 50 minutes. (I'm slow)

But I got into swimming as exercise because it was easy on joints and even walking made my calves cramp up. It doesn't NOW, but it took some pretty dedicated swimming (30-40 minutes every weekday) to do it.

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Any exercise is good exercise to start on. Walk, swim, lift...whatever you can do.
  • nerdymathgrrl
    nerdymathgrrl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I started at close to 300 lbs. At first, I did walking videos (Leslie Sansone) and used my recumbent bike. I gradually increased resistance on the bike, and I added in weight training and outdoor walks. Best of luck!