C25K

Options

Replies

• newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I graduated from the C25K app on Oct. 30 after 14 weeks and 4 days. I'm currently training for a 10K scheduled for sometime in February. I had to get away from zen labs. Their training program was 6 weeks for 10K versus runkeeper's 14 week training. I felt that was better for me. I'm glad to see everyone is doing well :).

If you have trouble figuring out what to wear, this is a handy website: http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

I no longer run on a treadmill. I started off that way, but by week 4, I ditched it for good. I haven't been back since. I love running outside!! I should mention I also live in Texas which means our winter here is closer to everyone else's fall.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    jissellc wrote: »
    Hello all!
    I started C25K Monday and I really like it so far. I'm hoping to document my progress and questions here. One thing I changed is that I felt 3 days wasn't enough, so I'm planning on spending 5 days a week on each "Level/week" instead of 3. I'm hoping to eventually shed 35-40lbs (not all in 9 weeks, ha) and improve my endurance, strength, stamina, etc. I would also like to make jogging a habit to stay healthy.
    I just finished day 4 today (took weds off) and some things I noticed is that my breathing has improved and I can stand the min jog better than day 1 for sure. I have more energy than before starting and feel like I should move around more (ex hiking, more walking, etc). The sweating used to gross me out at first, but now it makes me feel accomplished and strong. I used to look at the seconds count down and think "OMG hurry up and end", but now I try not to focus on time so much and just concentrate my mind on my breathing and form.
    Anyone else have great results with C25K?
    Also, I mainly eat clean, mainly veggies, fruits, and lean meats (chicken/fish). I am a 22 year old female that's 5 foot nothing weighing 147.

I am glad things are going well so far! As others have said, just stick with the program and don't be afraid to repeat weeks as needed.

I do do have 2 suggestions:

1. A caloric deficit is great for losing weight, but too large of a deficit will sap your energy and make running more difficult. I am glad you are planning on taking MORE than 9 weeks to lose 35-40 lbs. No need to rush. Running will be more enjoyable when you have ample energy (not too large of a deficit to your TDEE)

2. Refer to running as "running" not "jogging"

Good luck!
  • jissellc
    jissellc Posts: 76 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ok so I completed Week 3 today. Holy cow. The last 3 mins of running are so rough and make me so tired. Also my legs feel like they are ready to fall off. Is this normal? I plan on repeating this week next week if possible, because I'm gonna be very busy with work, school, and i'm going out of town on the weekend.
    Anyways, the last portion of the 3 mins is hard for me right now. But I'm glad I don't give up before the 3 minutes are up.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Ok so I completed Week 3 today. Holy cow. The last 3 mins of running are so rough and make me so tired. Also my legs feel like they are ready to fall off. Is this normal? I plan on repeating this week next week if possible, because I'm gonna be very busy with work, school, and i'm going out of town on the weekend.
    Anyways, the last portion of the 3 mins is hard for me right now. But I'm glad I don't give up before the 3 minutes are up.

It's normal....and as your body adapts, you'll push through. I did the c2k5 program back this summer. I couldn't run at all. I remember some of those days where 2 more minutes felt like 2 more hours. My legs were heavy, I was gasping. But keep pushing at a reasonable pace and your body will adapt.

After I finished the program, adding 5 more minutes to a run was easy. I ran a 9 miles today...and never felt as tired, leg heavy, winded as I did during the c2k5 program. Believe me, you can do it and once your body get used to running, you'll be amazed at how far you'll go.

• seren1ty74
    seren1ty74 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    bump! i just started week 2 day 1 today; i'm only doing 1-2 times a week - i baby my knees due to arthritis. its hard but its something i've always wanted to do . good luck!
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    seren1ty74 wrote: »
    bump! i just started week 2 day 1 today; i'm only doing 1-2 times a week - i baby my knees due to arthritis. its hard but its something i've always wanted to do . good luck!

Keep up the great work! You can do it
  • jissellc
    Options

That's awesome to hear!!!! And same here I've always wanted to become a runner. Some people make it seem so easy and effortless. Good luck!
  • jissellc
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »

It's normal....and as your body adapts, you'll push through. I did the c2k5 program back this summer. I couldn't run at all. I remember some of those days where 2 more minutes felt like 2 more hours. My legs were heavy, I was gasping. But keep pushing at a reasonable pace and your body will adapt.

After I finished the program, adding 5 more minutes to a run was easy. I ran a 9 miles today...and never felt as tired, leg heavy, winded as I did during the c2k5 program. Believe me, you can do it and once your body get used to running, you'll be amazed at how far you'll go.

Thank you for the words of encouragement! You're experience is really encouraging.
  • jissellc
    Options

Keep up the great work! You can do it

Thank you!!
  • jissellc
    Options
    Ok so last week I didn't get to do a week of C25K because I was on vacation. I'm starting my third week of week 3 today because I still feel that the 3mins of running is difficult and am trying to get to the point where it feels like a cake walk before I move on. Is it bad to repeat a week more than once? Will that hinder my running progress? I just hope I eventually feel as if the 3mins of running is easy enough and can move on. Also on the second 3min interval of running I am so tired by the end and my legs feel like they are going to collapse under me, is that normal? Maybe today was just a bad day.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    There is no "running progress" to hinder. You progress at your own pace. The only person you are racing here is yourself. To be honest, though, it took me quite awhile for 3 minutes to "feel like a cake walk" and there are some times, like the middle part of the last mile of my 8 mile run yesterday, where three minute still feels like an eternity. (I ran all of mile 1 and then was doing 6 minute run/1 minute walk intervals for miles 2 - 8).

I would suggest that, even if it still doesn't feel as "easy" as you want it to at the end of this week, that you move on to week 4. Many times it's just our brains that are telling us we aren't ready when we really are. There's nothing like the confidence boost of running farther or faster than we thought we were capable of.

ETA: If you're getting super tired, you may be running too fast. Try slowing things down a bit and see if it doesn't help. Speed will come later, right now you just want to focus on endurance.
  • jissellc
    Options
    Thank you SuelnAz! I appreciate the advice. I'm hoping in not just scaring myself for week 4, knowing that there is a 5 min run. I'm just scared I won't be able to complete a 5 min run since I am having trouble with the 3 min run.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Just keep plugging away and it'll happen, I promise. I can tell you, I did 3 minute run and 1 minute walk intervals for years. I always felt like I could never go more than that for a whole race or I just got too tired. I was always looking at my watch waiting for the 3 minutes to be over and I could walk again. The first time I ran for 10 minutes straight I was so surprised.

It was this summer when I decided I was going to work to increase the running intervals. The fact that I can now run for upwards of 15 minutes before I really feel like I need a walk break is huge for me. Huge. It's been getting easier and easier these last few weeks. I have found, however, that my overall time is about the same regardless of the length of my running intervals which is why I'm keeping to 6 minutes for my longer runs right now. I run 6 minutes at a faster pace than 15 minute intervals and it all evens out in the end. :)

• gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Ok so last week I didn't get to do a week of C25K because I was on vacation. I'm starting my third week of week 3 today because I still feel that the 3mins of running is difficult and am trying to get to the point where it feels like a cake walk before I move on. Is it bad to repeat a week more than once? Will that hinder my running progress? I just hope I eventually feel as if the 3mins of running is easy enough and can move on. Also on the second 3min interval of running I am so tired by the end and my legs feel like they are going to collapse under me, is that normal? Maybe today was just a bad day.

Just my opinion, but the C25k program is designed to build on level. When I did it, no level felt like a 'cakewalk'...but I found myself able to push through that little bit extra. And over time I was amazed that my body adapted and what would have seemed like a REALLY long time a few weeks before was doable.

Sometimes you just have a bad run. It happens. And I think everyone may do a particular workout an additional time. But I would recommend to keep pushing.

You reach this point where your body is ready and it just 'clicks.'

• jissellc
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Just keep plugging away and it'll happen, I promise. I can tell you, I did 3 minute run and 1 minute walk intervals for years. I always felt like I could never go more than that for a whole race or I just got too tired. I was always looking at my watch waiting for the 3 minutes to be over and I could walk again. The first time I ran for 10 minutes straight I was so surprised.

It was this summer when I decided I was going to work to increase the running intervals. The fact that I can now run for upwards of 15 minutes before I really feel like I need a walk break is huge for me. Huge. It's been getting easier and easier these last few weeks. I have found, however, that my overall time is about the same regardless of the length of my running intervals which is why I'm keeping to 6 minutes for my longer runs right now. I run 6 minutes at a faster pace than 15 minute intervals and it all evens out in the end. :)

Thank you for your experience story! That is really motivational for me and I think I need to get better sleep, considering I've only been getting 6.5-7 hours a night.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    gabbo's advice is perfect. I'm on Week 8 now (woohoo!) and I agree that nothing was "easy" but everything was doable. You just have to trust the program and give it all a try! It's 99% mental.
  • jissellc
    Options
    So I'm on week 4 now. All I can say is I can't believe I was able to run the 5 mins....wow haha I think I might be running too fast (even thought I'm sure 3.7 on the treadmill is super slow) because by the 2nd 5 min period I feel very tired.
    Day 1 I did take a few seconds extra rest walk. Day 2 I got a cramp in my second 5 min period and took some seconds to stop. I think I drank too much water while running.
    Also no weight loss so far (grr), but I've picked up fitnessblender and blogilates (mostly ab workouts) 1-2 days a week.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    Keep at it, it WILL get easier. Congrats on what you've accomplished so far.

As far as the lack of weight loss, are you weighing/measuring your food and keeping a very accurate log? I didn't read back and I don't remember. If you aren't losing it means you are eating more calories than you're burning.
  • jissellc
    Options
    Ok so I've become stuck at Week 4. I just can't overcome the 2nd session of 5 mins running without stopping, plus I just came down with the flu or something so that doesn't help. I already run slow (3.5 on my treadmill) but I still have to stop for a few seconds during the 2nd portion of running. Any suggestions? I want to just keep trying until I can overcome it. I've also wanted to pick up walking on my alternate days. I was thinking of walking for 90 mins a few times a week to burn some calories. Or should I do more strenuous workouts on my other days?
    Any suggestions are welcome :) Thanks
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Ok so I've become stuck at Week 4. I just can't overcome the 2nd session of 5 mins running without stopping, plus I just came down with the flu or something so that doesn't help. I already run slow (3.5 on my treadmill) but I still have to stop for a few seconds during the 2nd portion of running. Any suggestions?

Try going even slower, not just on the last 5-minute run interval but from the beginning.

Walking is a great form of cross training. And as you build up your stamina from walking, running will get easier too.

Good luck, and take it easy until you've recovered from your flu.