Confidence Issues - Help Me Please

Options
Hi Everyone

I have been going to the gym for a few months now and I mainly do group fitness. I go to about 4 classes a week but I have major confidence issues in one of the classes. I feel like everyone's judging me when I'm there. I have even thought about walking out of the class half way through and never going back.

Its got that bad now that I'm scared to try any other classes just in case the same happens there.

Do you think I should speak to the instructor about how I feel

Thanks

Replies

• 4aces61
    4aces61 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    What type of class and what exactly makes you feel this way
  • mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    4aces61 wrote: »
    What type of class and what exactly makes you feel this way

This. And..

Just about 99.9% of all humans are judgmental. You have to stop caring about what others may be thinking. Just know that you are doing something for yourself that is positive and great!! They are all there to improve their fitness one way or the other!!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need to realize that you pay to be there just like everyone else. If you're feeling uncomfortable, then by all means speak with the instructor and see if she has any solutions.
  • Its a body conditioning class. I feel this when when I cant keep up with the rest of the class
  • JonathanLepoff
    JonathanLepoff Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do many fitness classes. For the most part people are not judging because they have been where you are now
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Its a body conditioning class. I feel this when when I cant keep up with the rest of the class

Okay and you don't NEED to keep up with them. Girl, you're there for you! It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You know they're probably respecting you because you're doing it!
  • cwilli36
    cwilli36 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I agree with Jonathan, my experience had been that they are not judging you, they were probably in your same position at some point. There's no reason you can't talk to the instructor.
    If you "are" at a gym where people are judging you for doing your best, I say find another gym. Dont give up because some people are idiots.
    Keep up the hard work, dont give in to the self-consciousness.
  • whitewolf1200
    whitewolf1200 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If I go to a class workout then I just stay in the back and watch others and then its harder for the others to watch me.
  • Terrieleeagnew
    Terrieleeagnew Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I go to a bootcamp/running type class and I am (by far), the slowest there. Others continually lap me (and sometimes come back to get me) when I'm very far behind. It's embarrassing yes - but more embarrassing not to go and watch the size of my butt grow!
    Can you take a friend with you? Preferably someone who is of a similar fitness to you. Then you can "not keep up" together.

• ksf_2013
    Options
    You're there for you, who cares what they think? I know that's easier said than done, but everyone starts some where, so let them think what they want.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I used to worry that people were looking at me judging too. But I noticed they were either trying to keep up themselves or doing so well they were just getting right into the class and in "the zone"
    Ain't nobody judging if I should remove myself from class to save them having to look at me.
    Even tho I'm wearing floppy trackies and I couldn't get a bouncy ponytail if I tried for a year.
  • AngelAnnihilate
    AngelAnnihilate Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you keep working at it, someday those people will be trying to compete with you. If you feel like you gave it your all at the end of that workout than that's all that matters.. Stick to it because you can do it.. Even with the looks if others!
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    You need to realize that you pay to be there just like everyone else. If you're feeling uncomfortable, then by all means speak with the instructor and see if she has any solutions.

This sounds like a great idea. That, and proceed at YOUR pace, not anyone else's.

• EatSleepPumpRepeat
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If I go to a class workout then I just stay in the back and watch others and then its harder for the others to watch me.

Ive tried going to the back but i still feel the same
  • Can you take a friend with you? Preferably someone who is of a similar fitness to you. Then you can "not keep up" together.

There is this one lady who ive spoken to with similar fitness levels but she doesnt always come to the class
  • Thanks for your comments everyone. Its just hard to make my head understand that no one is judging me.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Just remember, it feels like people are judging..means that it is all in your head. Maybe you are judging yourself the most?
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It's OKAY!!!! :smiley: You should have seen ME in "Piloxing" class. It's high-intensity pilates/kickboxing fuzed! I was the ONLY one who wasn't a regular, and I sure as **** couldn't "keep up with the class." Everyone was laughing at me, but you know what the trick was?

I laughed at myself, too.

We're all human, we all judge, and we all want to be accepted, including the people in the class with you. Anyone in there capable of the smallest amount of empathy can see what you're going through and smile, for the sake of making you feel accepted. Laugh at your own mistakes, or when you can't keep up, and for goodness' sakes, unless you're working out with Stallone and Schwarzennegger (sp?), relax and have FUN!!!!! :smile:
  • Thanks dakotababy, that actually makes alot of sense. Maybe its me judging myself the most
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I struggle to keep up at times too. I've done kickboxing and RIPPED classes and occasionally Zumba. I've come too far to give a *kitten* what others think.