To eat or not to eat extra calories earned from exercise?

Options
I'm trying to lose weight so I'm reluctant to eat the calories I earn from exercising. I'm 5'3" and weigh 165. I have manually set my daily calories to 1600 because the 1200 that was recommended. I'm still nursing and that's way too low for me. Also, I'm very active during the day without any extra workouts I may do. So what are people's thoughts on eating the extra calories earned from exercise? Do you eat them every day or maybe just on special occasions, like when you want that birthday cake or extra glass of wine?

Replies

• TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I always eat back at least some of my calories. I use a HRM so I'm as sure as I can be when I exercise on what I am actually burning. When I used to go by what was on the machines, I would never eat them all back, just to adjust for machine error. If you are nursing and eating not eating back calories, I would worry about your milk drying up from lack of nutrition.
  • tchwojko
    tchwojko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm relying solely on the database since I don't wear a HRM. I can see how the calorie count could be off. I'm not too concerned about my milk, since I've started the weaning process. I'm more concerned about it effecting my weight loss. Thanks!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're using the TDEE method ("manually set my daily calories to 1600") so no, in your case, you wouldn't eat back your exercise calories because you've already accounted for them in your usual daily activity.

If you dramatically change your exercise routine one way or the other, just adjust your calorie intake.
  • robinsvitakjones
    robinsvitakjones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories back. Most people over estimate their exercise calories. I treat exercise as a bonus to my weight loss. ....as getting my body in shape and toned.... But, I do not log when I exercise. Everyone is different. To each, their own. I did this right after having both my sons (and nursing), too.
  • r5d5
    r5d5 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I only eat back some of them. About a third to one half back, but I'll eat them all back if i really, really want something high in calories, like cake or fudge :smiley: A lot of people will probably suggest eating back at least half. It is important to eat them back; it helps ensure your body is getting the proper nutrients and that your net calories aren't too low! (Like if you only ate 1200 while burning an extra 500 daily). It's also a balance/personal preference thing, finding out what best suits your body. But I would suggest you eat back some of them! Really! Weight loss can actually hit plateaus if you don't!
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I eat back most of them, if not all. I found I felt really lousy if I didn't. I still lost a pound a week.
  • WildOkapi
    Options
    I never ate back my calories from the numbers MFP gave me, but the thing about MFP's guided goals is it does not factor in your exercise calories. So, YES, you would eat them back.

IIFYM and any other TDEE calculator will factor in your exercise level, in which case you would stick to your recommended calorie intake and NOT eat back exercise calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't think she's using TDEE as she's just adjusting by 500 for nursing - which is sensible

I assume your daily activity is set to lightly active - personally I'd invest in a fitbit to track your regular movements/steps (without workouts) and set it to sedentary if you wanted a better hang on your actual activity

If you are hungry eat back 50% of workout calories and see how it goes

if you're maintaining cut back - if not go for it

• kaseasteele
    kaseasteele Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not even when I do huge workouts. The only time I'll eat a little extra is if I'm extremely hungry... in that case I'll eat maybe a couple extra hundred.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Nope. Not even when I do huge workouts. The only time I'll eat a little extra is if I'm extremely hungry... in that case I'll eat maybe a couple extra hundred.

That's fine if using a cut from TDEE method, but if you're using the MFP method it's NEAT so you need to add back exercise calories otherwise you won't fuel your body for major workouts, you'll eat too few calories and you will lose more muscle than you need to
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    ^^^Yep.

Eating back calories is how the tool works. You enter in how much you want to lose in a week, and the calculator give you a calorie goal assuming you will do no exercise. Eating back at least some exercise calories ensures your body is fueled properly. Many eat back starting at 50% and adjust from there due to site over estimations. When I cut, it's normally at 60%.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter if you are trying to lose weight anyway? If you dont eat them, then quicker weight loss. Just dont starve.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Why does it matter if you are trying to lose weight anyway? If you dont eat them, then quicker weight loss. Just dont starve.

It may matter in how it effects long term compliance with the diet. At SOME point, calories can be pulled low enough that it can effect compliance long term.

• skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Eat them back. Just make sure you're accurately measuring how many calories you burn during each workout and not overestimating. If you don't eat them back, your body won't have the energy it needs to support your fitness activities. If I happen to not eat my exercise calories back, I'm usually woozy the next day while working out. Congrats on your little one btw :)
  • tchwojko
    tchwojko Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the comments and suggestions. I think I'm going to not eat them at first and see how I feel and how my weight loss is going. If I feel like I'm too hungry I will eat them but if it causes my weight loss to slow down too much I will cut back.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    ^^^Yep.

Eating back calories is how the tool works. You enter in how much you want to lose in a week, and the calculator give you a calorie goal assuming you will do no exercise. Eating back at least some exercise calories ensures your body is fueled properly. Many eat back starting at 50% and adjust from there due to site over estimations. When I cut, it's normally at 60%.

This^

OP - you got a calorie deficit BEFORE exercise. 1200 is just MFP's lowest minimum default...it's likely 1200 was a product of an aggressive weekly weight loss goal.

Rabbitjb is right, the extra calories you added are for nursing....not really TDEE (which includes exercise).

Hunger is not a good indicator for adequate nutrition levels. Hunger can be a product of hormones or the types of food you eat. Eating lots of fiber is "filling"....but it doesn't support lean muscle. You want to eat enough so that most of the weight you lose will be fat (instead of lean muscle).