Question about C25K

Options
Hi everyone. So, I just started the program today and I'm a bit confused on the distance for the first few weeks. Am I meant to be walking/running the full 5K on the very first day/week(s)?

My distance today (Week 1/Day 1) was 2 miles in 30 minutes. My walking speed was 3.5 and jogging speed was 4.6. I'm feeling pretty okay after this first day, so I think I'll try increasing my speed a bit in two days but I still don't think it'll be enough to complete the full 5K.

Also, before today my workout was walking 5 miles a day (at a 3/3.5 speed. Outdoors and on a treadmill). And that's been working really well. I'm over 300lbs so the weight has been melting off at this point. Going back down to just 2 miles seems like a step backward.

Can you help me figure out if I'm doing something wrong? Anything would help. Thanks!

Replies

• sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    no you are not meant to be covering 5k until the final 30 minute run (and even then most of us don't quite cover it)

the point of the C25K program is to get you're body better at running for longer, so while it might seem like a step backwards because you aren't going as far, your pushing your body further and exerting more energy

plus running is much more fun than walking
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    As a beginner, the last thing you should be worrying about is increasing speed. Follow the program and gradually increase distance. Don't worry about being able to complete the entire 5k (running) right now. After you finish the program (repeating days as needed) you will be able to.
  • fyeahwlt
    fyeahwlt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    sloseph wrote: »
    no you are not meant to be covering 5k until the final 30 minute run (and even then most of us don't quite cover it)

the point of the C25K program is to get you're body better at running for longer, so while it might seem like a step backwards because you aren't going as far, your pushing your body further and exerting more energy

plus running is much more fun than walking

Ah, okay. Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out! I feel loads better about it now.
  • fyeahwlt
    Options
    As a beginner, the last thing you should be worrying about is increasing speed. Follow the program and gradually increase distance. Don't worry about being able to complete the entire 5k (running) right now. After you finish the program (repeating days as needed) you will be able to.

Thanks for the help! I think you're right about not increasing the speed. I didn't factor in having to run for a longer period of time for week 2.
  • Dichotomy1976
    Dichotomy1976 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Also remember that there is nothing stopping you from doing the C25K programme and still taking a walk that day too if you feel like it. Walking is a nice low impact exercise that you can do even on a rest day and shouldn't interfere with any other exercise programmes you might be following.
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What others have written is correct. Don't worry about speed, and follow the directions in the program carefully. Walk when you should, run when you should, and stop when you should. Going too fast or too far too soon will greatly increase your chances of injury. Be patient. And good luck!!
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    fyeahwlt wrote: »
    Hi everyone. So, I just started the program today and I'm a bit confused on the distance for the first few weeks. Am I meant to be walking/running the full 5K on the very first day/week(s)?

As others have mentioned, don't think too much about distance for now. I find that I have enough to be thinking of just breathing, stretching and eating/drinking appropriately before and after to worry too much on distance!
    For week one, I averaged 3-3.5km per 30 min session, which I'm told is right where we should be at this stage.

Otherwise, how are you finding it?

After work this evening I start week 2. I'm a little bit nervous on the extra jump in intervals as I'm seriously unfit. But I reassure myself that if I'm really struggling, I can do another day of week 1 intervals, and then try week 2 tomorrow or wednesday.

I have to say, though, for someone who is as exercise-averse as I am, I'm perversely enjoying it, even though it has rained for all 'runs' (jogs..) so far.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I was walking 5K before I started, too. I still walk the whole distance. I start the app when I leave the house, finish the app in it's 30 minutes and then finish the walk.

Had to cut it short twice because the running was more than enough, lol.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,220 MFP Moderator
    Options

As others have mentioned, don't think too much about distance for now. I find that I have enough to be thinking of just breathing, stretching and eating/drinking appropriately before and after to worry too much on distance!
    For week one, I averaged 3-3.5km per 30 min session, which I'm told is right where we should be at this stage.

After work this evening I start week 2. I'm a little bit nervous on the extra jump in intervals as I'm seriously unfit. But I reassure myself that if I'm really struggling, I can do another day of week 1 intervals, and then try week 2 tomorrow or wednesday.

I have to say, though, for someone who is as exercise-averse as I am, I'm perversely enjoying it, even though it has rained for all 'runs' (jogs..) so far.

You'll be surprised at how much you can do. Each week is a new challenge, BUT if you find it to be too much, just repeat a day or week if you need to. There is absolutely NO reason to hurt yourself. I'm an avid runner now, and started with C25K. There were weeks that I had to repeat. It's okay - progress at a pace that works for you. Just getting up off the couch and WANTING it is a major accomplishment. Even if it takes you a little longer, you're still doing it. :flowerforyou:
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The comment above is dead on. It's normal to feel like you're streching yourself some days, but it's just you body learning to adapt.

Just keep at it and you'll be amazed....and quite possibly addicted.
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I started C25K 100 days ago (when I started on MFP) and still don't get anywhere near a 5k in 30 minutes. But now I can run most of it in 40 minutes which is a HUGE leap from the starting point. If you stick with it, it really does work.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I was walking 5K before I started, too. I still walk the whole distance. I start the app when I leave the house, finish the app in it's 30 minutes and then finish the walk.

Actually that's a good idea. walking the remainder of the 5k.
    I'll see if I have the energy for that tonight!
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    Just getting up off the couch and WANTING it is a major accomplishment. Even if it takes you a little longer, you're still doing it. :flowerforyou:

I think this is the most surprising element for me, actually.

I did PT sessions in the park last year, and the job warm up was always dreaded. To find now that i'm at my desk at work, and eager to get home to go for a run, is just unrecognisable!

Yesterday i went for the C25K run in the morning, and in the afternoon I cycled 10k.
    I really don't KNOW what's coming over me, other than I'm enjoying the activities. It's not even that I've seen any positive body changes yet, but I feel so satisfied at the end of a run or cycle.
    I think I might be have a mid-life crisis... I'm also only drinking alcohol once a week these days too. Shocking! ;)

#onwards

• LazyButHealthy
    Options
    p.s - i just LOVE the positivity on this board!
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    You're catching the bug. That's what it is :). I caught it back in July. I'm still going strong, even though I'm waffling about my next goal. I'm about to do my 5th 5K in as many months this Saturday.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    Just getting up off the couch and WANTING it is a major accomplishment. Even if it takes you a little longer, you're still doing it. :flowerforyou:

I think this is the most surprising element for me, actually.

I did PT sessions in the park last year, and the job warm up was always dreaded. To find now that i'm at my desk at work, and eager to get home to go for a run, is just unrecognisable!

Yesterday i went for the C25K run in the morning, and in the afternoon I cycled 10k.
    I really don't KNOW what's coming over me, other than I'm enjoying the activities. It's not even that I've seen any positive body changes yet, but I feel so satisfied at the end of a run or cycle.
    I think I might be have a mid-life crisis... I'm also only drinking alcohol once a week these days too. Shocking! ;)

#onwards

The 'wanting' to run is the biggest surprise. I smiled when I read what you said about thinking about the next day's run. I got excited over new running socks I'd ordered. And when it got cool last week I couldn't wait to get out in my the long sleeve running gear I picked up.

I switched running apps after my C25K was literally work up early because I couldn't wait to road test it.

6 months ago I could think of a dozen reasons not to go running. Now I find every way I can to make sure I get my run time in.
  • wulfax
    wulfax Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Everything everybody said on here is pretty spot on. I also walked a lot before I started the program, not as much as you though, I think I did 2-3 miles a day for a month before I started the C25k program.

I am now on W6D1 (will do it on Tueday the 11th) and just got done with W5D3 which is a continues 20 mintue run. It was amazing that I completed it, especially considering that I could barely do 1 mintue when I started. Also I am VERY slow. Most of my paces are still 16:30 to 17:30 min/miles. But speed will come with time.

I am tracking and posting my own journey on this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10000439/beginning-runner-using-c25k/p1
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Actually that's a good idea. walking the remainder of the 5k.
    I'll see if I have the energy for that tonight!

So in the end... I didn't. I was cold and tired and hungry, so I walked to the end of the 'cool down' and then went home.

Maybe tomorrow!
  • fyeahwlt
    Options
    Also remember that there is nothing stopping you from doing the C25K programme and still taking a walk that day too if you feel like it. Walking is a nice low impact exercise that you can do even on a rest day and shouldn't interfere with any other exercise programmes you might be following.

This is excellent advice. I wasn't sure if it was okay to do a long walk on the rest days. But i'm definitely going to now. Thanks so much.
  • fyeahwlt
    Options

I actually really liked it! LOL, I can't believe I'm saying that! Of course, I've only done one day and in a couple of weeks I'll probably be singing a different tune, ha! But three months ago I would never have been able to do want I did yesterday. It feels really good.

I'm enjoying this whole weight-loss journey a lot more than I thought I would. Even the workouts.

Thanks for your help!