Deficit Diet and Mood Fluctuations

I am getting super angry nowadays for silly things [Eg: DH coming late by an hour even due to valid reasons]
I always had anger issues but it was once a while(say once in 10-15 days) but now i keep-on finding reasons to become angry.
I am not able to control it at that time..even though later i realize i am over-reacting.

Is it due to the restricted diet? Does a deficit diet have anything to do with rapid mood fluctuations?
Have you faced this? Any remedies?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    have you spoken to someone about your anger issues before?
  • WantBestME
    WantBestME Posts: 128 Member
    have you spoken to someone about your anger issues before?
    Yes.. People around me are very understanding and composed. But it was under control.
    Since i started dieting(deficit) , i am no longer able to control (Effectively) my anger. I speak and hurt others before thinking.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Yes, a restrictive diet can make you moody. I know when I was eating at 1200 I was always in a bad mood. And it won't help if you already had issues. Try upping you calories and see how you feel.
  • TavistockToad
    how many calories are you eating and what macros?
  • WantBestME
    Poods71 wrote: »
    Yes, a restrictive diet can make you moody. I know when I was eating at 1200 I was always in a bad mood. And it won't help if you already had issues. Try upping you calories and see how you feel.

I have to try that.. But in minimal may be!
  • WantBestME

1200 calories max( vary between 1100-1200).. I stay little under or meet the macros as per the fitnesspal chart. I go less on the fat percentage.
  • TavistockToad
    WantBestME wrote: »

1200 calories max( vary between 1100-1200).. I stay little under or meet the macros as per the fitnesspal chart. I go less on the fat percentage.

what rate of loss do you have MFP set too?
  • WantBestME

Actually, I lose 1lbs a week consistently.
  • TavistockToad

i woudl up your cals and make sure you're getting enough fat - eating too low fat can affect vitamin absorption and hormones, which could be affecting your mood.
  • WantBestME

i woudl up your cals and make sure you're getting enough fat - eating too low fat can affect vitamin absorption and hormones, which could be affecting your mood.

Thanks for the info... i'll try meeting the fat requirements..
  • TavistockToad

you dont seem keen on the idea of increasing your calories at all?
  • WantBestME

I fear that it may make my weight-loss plan hit a plateau
  • TavistockToad

increasing your calories will mean you lose weight slower, but if its a choice between that and how you're behaving at the moment, i know which i would go for.
  • meowiyer
    meowiyer Posts: 19 Member
    Are you doing any exercise? I used to suffer from depression and anger management issues, but exercise really helps with mental health. Just a suggestion. Helps to physically get rid of any aggression or anxiety. Now when I know I am going to lose it, I just go for a brisk walk and feel so much better.

I also agree that healthy fats are very essential to make you feel satiated and less "stressy".
  • WantBestME
    edited November 2014
    meowiyer wrote: »
    Are you doing any exercise? I used to suffer from depression and anger management issues, but exercise really helps with mental health. Just a suggestion. Helps to physically get rid of any aggression or anxiety. Now when I know I am going to lose it, I just go for a brisk walk and feel so much better.

I also agree that healthy fats are very essential to make you feel satiated and less "stressy".
    Yes.. I do exercise . Minimum 4 to 5 days a week. Per session 1.5 hour. I agree that it reduces stress and i tend to be a happy person (only the day i workout).

Post workout - after a day - i become moody.. May be i should exercise everyday :neutral_face:

• WantBestME

increasing your calories will mean you lose weight slower, but if its a choice between that and how you're behaving at the moment, i know which i would go for.

True!!! I will try UPing for a few days and check the difference.
  • meowiyer
    meowiyer Posts: 19 Member
    If you are also exercising so much, why is your calorie intake just 1200 calories? It seems a bit low, but that is just me.
  • TavistockToad
    If you are also exercising so much, why is your calorie intake just 1200 calories? It seems a bit low, but that is just me.

agreed, at the very least you should NET 1200 cals... thats how MFP is set up to work...
  • WantBestME

agreed, at the very least you should NET 1200 cals... thats how MFP is set up to work...

Eat back my calories? :anguished: I will try that may be for an week but i have become so much obsessed with this weight-loss - its really hard :disappointed:
  • muffinsandcakes
    muffinsandcakes Posts: 333 Member

the right answer ...