How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
I've heard people say they weigh in everyday and others only once a week. What are your thoughts and opinions?

Replies

• Dunrick
    Dunrick Posts: 23
    Options
    Hey kkdd....

Well I take official weigh ins every monday but I may weigh myself on any day just to see how I am coming along. I would say weigh yourself when ever you feel it but remember that weight can fluctuate from day to day so the best view is one over the long haul. It allows a better picture and you wont get discouraged when one day you weigh more then you did the day before.

Dunrick
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I do an official weigh in once a week. I have a scale addiction though, so I usually weigh myself multiple times a day. I'm trying to stop doing that though.
  • infxmous
    infxmous Posts: 4
    Options
    I weigh myself every Monday. After I wake up and use the bathroom first.
  • shumatet1982
    Options
    Once a week, at most. Sometimes ever other week.
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with weighing myself, but I am only allowed to weigh myself now once a week, and that is based off the gym scale. I am doing a challenge right now at the gym, so that is what I am going based off of anyways.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Once a week or less.
  • aliciadjackson
    aliciadjackson Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Monday morning. I feel it helps keep me accountable on the weekends and starts my week off right.
    I will sometimes step on the scale throughout the week, if I'm feeling thin that day, but I don't log it.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I weigh myself every day but I don't record it until my weigh in day.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every day at home but my official weight in is just once a week using the scale at the gym.
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    I have found that if I weigh in daily i get really discouraged...your not going to lose 1+lbs a day...so now I weigh in monthly (sometimes weekly if I'm feeling sneaky) :)
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    i weigh in every day lol i just can't help myself! i am way too eager to see those numbers drop! and if it is a good drop i generally wait a couple days and if the number stays consistent then i record it!
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday, keeps me in-line!
  • bgeer34
    bgeer34 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    we weigh on Monday mornings... we were supposed to only do Mondays but once in a while I just want to see if the week is progressing at all and I sneak a peek.. but it doesn't count no matter how good it is... and like a previous poster said, one of the reasons we picked Monday was so that we didn't over do it on the weekends when we first started... now that isn't a problem, I have more problems getting all my calories in on the weekends because it's not as structured as break and meal times at work.
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I weight myself once a week. Otherwise its stresses me out to see the numbers. Your weight veries day by day.
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a day, with the understanding that it will go up and down a bit. That's fine as long as the general trend is downwards!
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I do a combo. Meaning on the one hand I weigh myself daily, but never record it. Then, once a month I do the official weigh in for myself, which I then record. The rationale is simple. The daily gives me a chance to see how much weight can naturally fluctuate even within a day. (Quite common for example to be up/down 2 lbs depending exactly when), whereas the once a month official gives me the long term trend I want, giving me a much better reflection about what happened in a month time, while not making me sweat about all the little up/downs along the way.
    I have often found that I might not see any weight change for 5, 6 days and then suddenly, almost as if over night, weight drops 3 lbs.
    BTW. for me much more exciting are the measurement changes and fitness changes once a month.
  • healthybones
    healthybones Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself twice a month. I don't keep a scale in my house because I would be constantly weighing myself!
  • arwamya
    arwamya Posts: 304
    Options
    i was scale obsessed and now it's been two months i haven't weighed myself..i have lost inches my clothes fit better and i can concentrate more on healthy eating and work outs as i don't have to stress over the number that would pop up on my scale every week..
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you put into those scale results. I weigh myself every day and track it (as well as my body fat %) on an excel spreadsheet, but only log my weight on here once a week.

However, I'm very aware of the weight fluctuations from water retention etc., so if I go up or down by half a kilogram, I don't read too much into it (unless it's a trend that occurs for 3 or more days in a row).

I find that it helps keep me accountable, and if my weight has changed drastically, I go over the previous day in my head to see if there was anything that I could have done better.
  • BreezysMom
    Options
    I have issues with the scale. It tends to mess with my motivation so when I first started MFP I did a starting weight and decided to let my cloths be an indicator. But now I am working out with a personal trainer and she weighs me once a week on Thursday.

After years of trying to lose weight I am no longer using the scale as my main indicator of progress. My clothing is getting loose and people are starting to say "are you losing weight". It does much more for my motivation!