Walking a very THIN line

Options
Jill_newimprovedversion
Jill_newimprovedversion Posts: 988 Member
edited October 2014 in Chit-Chat
It's SARCASM SATURDAY...

but I'm sorta serious about this one:

The biggest pain about being short (5' 1/2" ) is you only get a 3-5 lb. discrepancy to hit the perfect maintenance weight.
Drop BELOW that, and you start hearing...." She's TOO skinny. "
Go ABOVE it, and you start hearing...." I'm glad to see she's eating again. "
...Well, I'm up 15 pounds, and I'm at the next level.... " Wow, she's really letting herself go "

If I reach 5 more pounds, and I'll hit the one I love best of all:
" What a shame. She has a such a pretty face. She could be so attractive. "

BTW, the last comment is the one that is used no matter how much more excess poundage is added.

The irony? While it MAY happen, I've not experienced it....
Why does this seem to be only said about females?

Replies

• nataliesweet19
    Options
    because females have prettier faces?
    but yeah, it sucks
    sometimes its better if people kept their mouth shut
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that people think it's okay to comment on someone else's weight AT ALL unless they're asked directly. It's like they think they're telling someone something that they don't realize.

"Hey, you're overweight." Really? I had no idea! Thank you so much for pointing that out, you freaking douche.

Of course, people do this with things other than weight. Like, "Wow, your face is really broken out." Yeah, thanks. I notice every time I look in the mirror, but it's nice to know that other people see it, too. Or when people ask questions about imperfections like scars, moles, birthmarks, etc. "How did you get that?" or "Have you always had that?" Uh, if I wanted you to know, I'd tell you without you having to ask.

What gives people the right to comment on other people's bodies? To be honest, something like this hasn't happened to me in a long time. However, if it ever did, I'd have a hard time not pointing out one of their flaws in return. Even if these people don't mean to be rude, they should know that they are. I'm all about being honest, but there are some things that really don't need to be said.

[/rant]
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    It always amuses me that people think its ok to tell you that you are getting to skinny, but if you told them they could benefit from some weight loss they'd be insulted.
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    My response is 'I am not aiming to make myself attractive to you'
    Also, I have never had the 'pretty face' one. :'( .
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    As someone who's been on both ends of the BMI spectrum, I know this all too well. I'm 5"3. When I was overweight, everyone commented on my weight. When I was a healthy weight, the "I wish she'd put on more weight" comments started. Now that I'm underweight, and actively trying to increase my calorie intake healthily? Yeah. You guessed it. People are still commenting on how I probably purge or have an eating disorder, which are far from the truth. If I'm not dependent on someone for survival (i.e. financially, physically, mentally, etc), then their opinions will only matter to me if I make the conscious effort to make it so. If they don't know you personally, don't take it personal. :)
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    It amazes me that people think it's okay to comment on someone else's weight AT ALL unless they're asked directly. It's like they think they're telling someone something that they don't realize.

"Hey, you're overweight." Really? I had no idea! Thank you so much for pointing that out, you freaking douche.

Of course, people do this with things other than weight. Like, "Wow, your face is really broken out." Yeah, thanks. I notice every time I look in the mirror, but it's nice to know that other people see it, too. Or when people ask questions about imperfections like scars, moles, birthmarks, etc. "How did you get that?" or "Have you always had that?" Uh, if I wanted you to know, I'd tell you without you having to ask.

What gives people the right to comment on other people's bodies? To be honest, something like this hasn't happened to me in a long time. However, if it ever did, I'd have a hard time not pointing out one of their flaws in return. Even if these people don't mean to be rude, they should know that they are. I'm all about being honest, but there are some things that really don't need to be said.

[/rant]

Sorry, but did you know you're wearing a pink top in that picture? I don't actually like pink. Just thought you'd want to know. :p
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I am the same height as you are. Years ago my Mom quoted Ann Landers. I've used it once or twice and it seems to work.
    Look straight at the person and say
    Why on earth would YOU say something like that to ME????
    It embarrasses them. They end up apologizing and that's the end of those comments.