Not losing weight!

Options
I've never had a weight problem. Not even after having a baby. But for my height (5'0), any little weight gain shows. I currently weigh 120lbs, which is healthy. However, I would like to have a more healthy physique (lower body fat %) which means losing weight. I would like to lose about 10 lbs. Since January, I've completely changed my eating habits. I stopped drinking sodas and eating fried foods. I've reduced my alcohol intake drastically (1 mixed drink a month). I only eat lean meats (fish, turkey, chicken). I've switched to 100% whole grains. I"m eating my recommended calories (1400). I eat tons of vegetables and fruits and I drink 48-64oz of water a day. I jog about 6 miles a week and I weight train twice a week. But the scale has not budged since the second week when I lost 5 lbs (water weight). I haven't lost inches either. What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The leaner our bodies are - the harder it is to lose weight. It COULD be that because you're within your healthy weight range, your body is comfortable and doesn't really want to lose any more weight.

Do you eat back your exercise calories? If not, that's a good place to start. Not eating them back puts you at too low of a deficit. It'll put your body into starvation mode.

Have you checked to see what your BMR is? Perhaps the 1400 calories you're eating is too low. One thing I've learned in this journey is when you eat better and exercise regularly - you HAVE to eat more in order to fuel your body. If you don't, you won't lose any weight.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things! Make sure you eat your exercise calories if you want to see the losses.. seriously, it works! But I'd say just keep plugging along, you're bound to lose a few more pounds but as you may have heard, the last ten are the hardest!!! Since that's all you have to lose, it may just take some time! I'll bet you'll be more toned even if the scale doesn't follow as quickly, which will have you bikini ready in time for summer!!!

Good luck! I'm on my (maybe) last ten now too.. hoping it doesn't take as long as the first 30 did!!!!
  • SammyLynn010
    SammyLynn010 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I think I am at the same spot you are but I have noticed a few more inches gone... We are about the same height and have about the same weight loss goal.
  • amarie35
    amarie35 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any of your exercise calories? I know it sounds crazy but increasing your calorie intake can boost your metabolism. I know when I plateaued, I started eating more calories & I started losing again.

Good luck! =)
  • bossymom
    bossymom Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're doing everything right. Be sure you're not taking in too much sodium, though, as that will just keep adding on to water weight. I also agree with chevy88grl in that you're already at an ideal weight, and you're body doesn't want to change. It's frustrating for me when I go WEEKS without losing any weight.....then, suddenly, BAM! The weight starts melting off again before leveling off for a while. You may just be at a stand-still for now, and the "BAM!" is just around the corner. :)
  • fitcrew
    fitcrew Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though you need to add a toning/weight lifting program into your weight loss.....it will tone up and trim the fat that wants to stick to ya.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    However, I would like to have a more healthy physique (lower body fat %) which means losing weight.
    health and weight dont go together, just because your thinner does not mean your healthy, I guess you meant "fitter physique"
    you want to lose body fat then you need to make your fitness routine all about weight training
  • ladyviola
    ladyviola Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd try eating the exercise calories for a week and see what happens. It sure won't hurt anything, and according to most of the folks on MFP, it works!
  • Crissy143
    Crissy143 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've been eating back my exercise cals. I think it may have something to do with my sodium intake?? In the beginning I was eating a lot of frozen (healthy) dinners which I just learned are full of sodium. I also switched from eating salted peanuts to unsalted peanuts (my favorite snack). Hopefully this will help.