Why me???

Options

Replies

• LokomotivMordor
    LokomotivMordor Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Is it possible the scale is inaccurate? Sounds like a lot of waterweight but I can't see how it could be fat!
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    After a long, strenuous hike, I usually weigh 5-10 lbs more afterwards. However, after about 2 days, I get back to my normal weight (if not a little under). No worries. You know your body. Listen to it, rather than obsessing about the scale.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Sorry, but this reminded me of my 7 year old....

You are eating too much it seems. You dont put on weight by running, you will simply only retain some water for a limited amount of time.

You don't put on 10 pounds of fat overnight either... It's been two days, the water weight is a much more likely explanation.

And you dont drink 10 pounds of water either though do you?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

You are eating too much it seems. You dont put on weight by running, you will simply only retain some water for a limited amount of time.

You don't put on 10 fat pounds in two days.

I didnt say that though did I?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    You should align your weighing with the lunar cycles.

How does this work for you?

I think he's being sarcastic. :)

• albayin
    Options

could very well be...i can definitely eat 5 pounds of food at one sitting, plus water...
  • albayin
    Options
    thank you everyone, right or wrong or in between, i appreciate your information and input. i will try to calm myself down...just came back from my morning 4 mile run...see ya~
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

You don't put on 10 pounds of fat overnight either... It's been two days, the water weight is a much more likely explanation.

Well, 1 litre (32 oz) or water weighs 2.2 lbs. I drink 2-3 L a day when not exercising, so that's 6.6 lbs every day.

When exercising, I drink about 1L every hour, so if I'm beign active all day, lets say in a cycling event or hiking, or whatever, I could easily drink 6-8L during that event, plus a litre before and many litres after. So I could easily drink 15lb or more water in a day.

So yes, 10 lb of water in a day is normal.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    albayin wrote: »
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    You should align your weighing with the lunar cycles.

How does this work for you?

I think he's being sarcastic. :)
    Facetious actually, since 10 days seemed like such an arbitrary number :)
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    did you weight yourself in the same clothing? i have weighed myself before a workout and then right after and gained 1.5lbs. my shirt was soaked with sweat (1.5 lbs of sweat, i dunno)

but i have found if i weigh myself in the morning (530am) i can be 226 and weigh myself 12 hours later and be 229. it happens and is no big deal
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Sure you did-you told her she is eating too much and qualified it by saying water stays on for a limited amount of time.

Or, is that not what you meant?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

Sure you did-you told her she is eating too much and qualified it by saying water stays on for a limited amount of time.

To put it into another perspective: 10 lbs of water is 4.5L. When very active (like running 10 miles), drinking 4.5L of water is an easy and common thing to do. Heck, when I commute into work by bike (a 1 hour ride, one-way), I drink a litre before and after, and drink constantly throughout the day. I down at least 6L on those days.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My personal water retention/daily flux can vary up to 7lbs on a normal basis. I am pretty confident it's water, inflammation, and the amazing things that my body does. Or my scale is possessed and hates me.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    albayin wrote: »

could very well be...i can definitely eat 5 pounds of food at one sitting, plus water...

Eating 5lbs of food (as in the weight of the food itself) is not the same as gaining 5lbs. You would have to eat 17,500 calories OVER maintenance to gain 5lbs. I don't believe there is any chance you could do that in one day. It's water and it will probably be gone as quickly as it came don't let it derail you.

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I would probably freak out too. But that is why I weight myself once a week at the same time and don't freak out much unless the scale goes up significantly and stays up for more than 2 or 3 weeks.

I'd give it another few days and then re-weigh. I wouldn't think it's possible for one long run alone to effect your body like that for an extended period of time....
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

SLL, It's not even worth it.
    Thank you. :)

• marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sodium level?
    no

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I personally would worry if I gained 10 lbs. overnight and did not have extra food in my stomach to boost what could simply be water retention, but I may just be a worrier.

OP, do you literally mean overnight? You said "after" your run. Like immediately after the run? The next morning? Or within a few days, or...?

When I overeat like crazy, I routinely gain at least 3-4 lbs. Last "binge" it was 5 pounds. I too am a "retainer," but in the case of overeating, obviously the food itself figured into the equation. I didn't over-drink water over that one night in addition to overeating, and the water would have to have come from somewhere...KWIM? But not in a sizeable amount to make that much of a weight impact as yours (10 lbs.), I mean. Unless it was bit by bit, day after day where I was seeing rises in increments...THEN I would assume it was more water that I was consuming, but not excreting.

But yes. Some people do retain more than others do. I have always been a super-retainer and will bloat at the drop of a hat, something I know not necessarily by my weight, but by the fact that my wrists, hands and ankles immediately look puffed-up.

I remember telling and telling and telling my doctor during my last pregnancy that I was gaining a lot of water. He skeptically told me, "Sure...maybe 10 pounds, maaaaaaaaaybe even 15 as a stretch" which was his code for, "I know you're lying and you're really just a pig using pregnancy as your excuse to gulp from your trough." My baby was born via C-section and I was hooked up to, well, a catheter and bag. (Sorry, eew.) And every time the nurse would come in...brace yourself...she would go RUNNING for the bag because "My God, this thing is spilling over!" After I went home, I lost, and no, I'm not exaggerating, 40 lbs. in two weeks - without any calorie restriction of any kind, in fact I was tracking at that time and eating about 1800 calories a day, on a very short - 5'1" - frame. Now THAT was water retention - and had an obvious, biological reason: pregnancy. But it also didn't happen overnight, I don't ever recall stepping on the scale during any of my pregnancies and seeing a 10-lb. gain from one day to the next or even (thank goodness) one week to the next.

Now. As for you...if you literally blew up 10 lbs. immediately following your run, and it never went back down, seriously I'd consider: 1. Perhaps getting a new scale - your new one may be on the blink. 2. Seeing a doctor if it's not the scale, you haven't been eating outrageously and so on.