Weight Lifting

Options
I am adding weight lifting to my current exercise routine, and I was wondering how to log it. I do a typical 30 seconds on, 30 seconds rest for a half hour. Do I enter it as 15 minutes or 30 minutes?

Replies

• dd_salas
    dd_salas Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You won't get a calorie count pn MFP for weight training at all. I use a HRM to keep track of my calories burned, and I created a Strength training cardio excercize to keep track of it all.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I would say enter as 15 minutes as it's better to underestimate than over. Yes you are burning more during that time, but MFP usually over estimates anyway.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I am adding weight lifting to my current exercise routine, and I was wondering how to log it. I do a typical 30 seconds on, 30 seconds rest for a half hour. Do I enter it as 15 minutes or 30 minutes?

I enter the whole time I am in the gym for...
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    You won't get a calorie count pn MFP for weight training at all. I use a HRM to keep track of my calories burned, and I created a Strength training cardio excercize to keep track of it all.

You can enter your strength training under the cardio as strength training to get your calorie count. That's how I do it.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM when doing strength training. If you're taking short breaks it shouldn't matter about the time you're not doing a set, no doubt your heart rate will still be elevated in that time and there's no other real accurate way of measuring it unless you want to keep pausing a HRM. I keep mine going the whole time i'm in the gym unless I take a longer break than usual and then I'll pause it until I get back.
    If you don't have a HRM, I would say underestimate it at about 15-20 minutes to be safe.
  • incognitopotato
    incognitopotato Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think you should enter the whole 30 minutes. I wear a HRM while lifting and find that MFP is pretty conservative with estimating strength training calories.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I enter it under cardio, since for some (unknown) reason, MFP does not count weightlifting as burning calories. Add the entire time, it won't be a lot of calories. And good for you for strength training! It will reshape your body like nothing else.:smile:
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options

under cardio they have a weight training/lifting option, but it's not going to be very accurate...its a start, though. I'd suggest you invest in a hrm....they're worth the money!