Can't loose any more weight.

Options
I am 5 feet 4 inches tall 148lbs right now. I am following the 1200 calorie diet on my fitness pal. I have lost a total of 52lbs so far. I bike 11 miles to work & 11 miles home. 22 miles a day. I have tried to loose more weight and can't seem to drop my goal is 125 pounds. I am trying to figure out what I should do to conquer this problem. I am not giving up.

Replies

• spots1017
    Options
    Well, considering the amount of calories you're exerting in a day to day basis your body may not be getting enough calories to function and could be holding on fats and calories instead of burning them and therefore you can't lose any more weight.

If you have any questions about that, message me, I sent you a friend request. Hope it helps!
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    If you are being really consistent about your diet, your metabolism is probably down. You'd need to do a reverse diet to fix that. That's what I've been doing for the last 5 months and I'm now maintaining weight at 2800 cal/day (was maintaining weight at 1800 cal/day). Check this video out and if you have questions, please let me know.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gTGLulLnI

Allan
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    If you are cycling 22 miles a day and not losing, then you are eating too much. No other explanation.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    mkollenb wrote: »
    I am 5 feet 4 inches tall 148lbs right now. I am following the 1200 calorie diet on my fitness pal. I have lost a total of 52lbs so far. I bike 11 miles to work & 11 miles home. 22 miles a day. I have tried to loose more weight and can't seem to drop my goal is 125 pounds. I am trying to figure out what I should do to conquer this problem. I am not giving up.
    Congratulations on your weight loss! <3

In order to continue losing weight, you need to eat less food.

Weight loss slows down as you get closer to your goal weight.

Also, have you recalculated your goals with each ten pound loss? That's important because as we become slimmer we don't need as many calories to function.

Finally, what are your food and exercise logging habits? Do you weigh food and log everything you eat? Are you logging your exercise burns and, if so, where do you get those estimates from?
  • SLLRunner
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ]If you are being really consistent about your diet, your metabolism is probably down. You'd need to do a reverse diet to fix that. That's what I've been doing for the last 5 months and I'm now maintaining weight at 2800 cal/day (was maintaining weight at 1800 cal/day). Check this video out and if you have questions, please let me know.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3gTGLulLnI

Allan
    No, this is doubtful.

• noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    I am 5 feet 4 inches tall 148lbs right now. I am following the 1200 calorie diet on my fitness pal. I have lost a total of 52lbs so far. I bike 11 miles to work & 11 miles home. 22 miles a day. I have tried to LOSE more weight and can't seem to drop my goal is 125 pounds. I am trying to figure out what I should do to conquer this problem. I am not giving up.

I call BS. Either you are consuming much more than 1200 calories or you are dreaming about cycling 22 miles a day.

Is it possible that you sleep in the car and dream about cycling while someone drives you to work each day?

If not I suggest you look at this link:
    https://www.khanacademy.org/math/early-math/cc-early-math-counting-topic
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    A closed diary, a general statement of eating 1200 calories without noting if that is total or net, no mention of measuring / weighing foods ... yet we get the instant recommendations that include starvation and countering MFP.

OP ... if you could open your diary it would give people some insight to what you are really doing (assuming you log accurately, honestly, and completely). Do you weigh and measure your foods? All of them?
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm also stuck just like you. I've tried a lot of things and nothing seems to be working. (even increasing my calorie intake for a week). It's been two months now. I'm stuck at 128 pounds and the scale won't budge. This week, starting today, I'm gonna try to eat 700 calorie lunch (healthy, beans rice, protein) and skip dinner and have a handful of blackberries and maybe 90 calorie greek yoghourt instead, exercise and sleep. I think skipping dinner will help me lose weight.

I also have carrots as snack and a banana for breakfast so it will be around 1200 calories for the minimum daily intake.

Maybe you can replace some of the type of foods you are eating with vegetables.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    Apparently no one here has ever heard of a plateau and thinks starving yourself is a good idea. You need to measure your metabolic rate to make sure you're consuming a deficit of calories. You'll only ever be able to ballpark any measurements, such as: calories in, calories expended during exercise, calories burned daily because of metabolism. As long as your final calorie count for the day (after eating and exercise is counted) is a deficit, just keep up this lifestyle and your body will eventually adjust. Everybody gets plateaus, some last a while others don't. Remember as you burn fat you may be adding muscle, which weighs more. You shouldn't trust weight that much, measure your waistline, get a body caliper test. That would be more accurate.
    Plateau is another word for eating g to much. :)

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost weight? More than 4-6 weeks?
    How often do you use a food scale?
    How often do you skip logging meals?
    How often do you approximate what you eat?

Accuracy & consistency are the combination needed.

• CupcakeCrusoe
    CupcakeCrusoe Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since you lost weight? More than 4-6 weeks?
    How often do you use a food scale?
    How often do you skip logging meals?
    How often do you approximate what you eat?

Accuracy & consistency are the combination needed.

This. All of this.

Every time I've thought I was "on a plateau," I was actually just swedging my calorie numbers. Every time.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's probably a calorie difference. With that much cycling I don't know if you have any extra time, but if you do, start adding weight training. Doing cardio only generally won't get you the body you want.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, not less.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

That's one ugly assumption you're making. Not everyone sticks to their daily count, some cheat; but to assume everyone who's plateau'd is lying is just plain ignorant and stupid. You're using your ignorance to emphasize destructive habits.

If someone is cheating then they're cheating and lying to themselves. If someone is sticking to their calorie plan, with a deficit, they'll eventually break through the plateau. As I'm always saying, weight is one of the worst ways to measure progress.

So weight is one of the worst ways to measure weightloss? ok...
  • Milvardea
    Options
    Have you tried having "up" days on occasion to reset your metabolism? I can't eat the same number of calories every day, because my body adjusts to it. I have "up" days" (2100 calories ish) and "down" days (1700 calories) to shock my metabolism. Also, you might want to up your calories to compensate for all of the exercise you're doing.

Also, have you tried measuring yourself? You might be gain muscle, which is heavier than fat, and losing inches, but not weight.

Good luck!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Milvardea wrote: »
    Have you tried having "up" days on occasion to reset your metabolism? I can't eat the same number of calories every day, because my body adjusts to it. I have "up" days" (2100 calories ish) and "down" days (1700 calories) to shock my metabolism. Also, you might want to up your calories to compensate for all of the exercise you're doing.

Also, have you tried measuring yourself? You might be gain muscle, which is heavier than fat, and losing inches, but not weight.

Good luck!

There is so much pop dieting drivel and so little science in this post. Metabolism shocking, a woman building appreciable muscle mass on a deficit while cycling not lifting ... wow.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    Milvardea wrote: »

Good luck!

NO! Muscle is denser than fat, but a pound of muscle is the same as a pound of fat. One just occupies less space for the mass.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

That's one ugly assumption you're making. Not everyone sticks to their daily count, some cheat; but to assume everyone who's plateau'd is lying is just plain ignorant and stupid. You're using your ignorance to emphasize destructive habits.

If someone is cheating then they're cheating and lying to themselves. If someone is sticking to their calorie plan, with a deficit, they'll eventually break through the plateau. As I'm always saying, weight is one of the worst ways to measure progress.

It may be cheating. It may not be willful cheating but thinking you're doing everything right but logging in accurately by using incorrect database entries or not weighing food. You could also be eating too much because you lost 50lbs and your metabolism is now lower because you weigh less and you did not account for that, and eating at the same calorie level is actually maintenance and not a deficit.

Those are all reasons for a plateau, but they all boil down to you are eating too much for how much energy you expend.