Badly need Motivation

Options
Shibani_Palo
Shibani_Palo Posts: 7
edited November 2014 in Getting Started
I am Shibani (22) from India and weigh around 183lbs(5'7"). I have thought of dieting and workouts many a times but I often fail after max like 10 days. What should I do to stay motivated?

I am totally out of shape and as you all may know Indian food is very rich in carbs,fats and all sorts of unhealthy things. Also rice is our staple food and since i stay with my parents my MOM wont agree on cutting down rice from my daily meals. But now somehow I have managed to convince her about me not eating RICE. I am starting off today. Please help me to lose weight fast and stay motivated so that i can lose weight before new years.

Suggestions awaited ! :)

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hello! I don't know much about Indian food (there's only one Indian restaurant in my town), but below are a few sites that look helpful. The tandoori chicken, tandoori shrimp, and veggie curries with low oil look like a good idea.

If your mother would allow you to cook some meals, you might be able to find some good lower calorie recipes. However, if you aren't allowed to cook in her house, then perhaps the easiest way to avoid calories would be to cut back on rice and bread, drink tea with no sugar or milk in it, and don't drink any other caloric drinks. And of course, if you can choose smaller plates to reduce your portion size, that might help you.

You can use MFP and other Internet sites to look up calories in certain Indian dishes so that you can eat more of the healthy stuff and less high-calorie items. That way, you won't bother your mother by asking her to prepare certain dishes for you. ;)

Articles on Lower Calorie Indian Foods (these photos are making me hungry!):
    http://healthmeup.com/photogallery-diet-fitness/healthy-foodie-top-15-low-calorie-indian-foods/14569/1
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/401303-10-ways-to-eat-healthy-at-indian-restaurants/
    http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/recipes/low_fat/indian_curry.htm

How to Set your Goals on MFP:
    Click Goals > Change Goals > Guided, Continue, enter in your accurate information and realistic goal weight, and click Update Profile. MFP will give you good information on how many calories you should eat each day to safely lose weight.

Direct Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
    BMI Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmi-calculator
    BMR Calculator: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • Shibani_Palo
    Options
    Thanks a ton Aemely !! I will seriously take these points into account and start working on them.
  • christinalacy562
    Options
    Log everything, holding yourself accountable will help you tremendously!! Consistency is key, and exercise is a must, even walking helps. Good luck to you and your journey, also add friends on My Fitness Pal they will motivate you :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    learn to cook and adjust recipes to healthier versions

not easy with indian food due to reliance on ghee and oils and rice and pulses which are dense calorifically but filling too ... but it is possible
  • DojoMaster888
    DojoMaster888 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Easiest thing to do is start preparing your own meals. Even if your not familiar with cooking, generally the healthier foods require the least amount of prep/work to make. Might require talking with your mom and making sure she understands that its not her cooking but your general health for not eating her meals anymore. I'd even ask for her help in preparing things such as meats as a way to still have her involved. Just some ideas, I know I've been in the same situation :)
  • Shibani_Palo
    Options
    I really am thankful for all your valuable suggestions. I have started making my own meals and substituted rice with OATMEAL. However I cant consume non veg. I am a vegetarian. And non veg isnt cooked at my place. So any substitute for non veg food?
  • Shibani_Palo
    Options
    In my community non veg isnt allowed. :neutral_face:
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You can be a vegetarian and loose weight, you don't have to eat meat. Use a smaller plate for yourself and begin with eating smaller portions. While you are doing this learn about different options of cutting calories. I am quite sure that Indian food can be adjusted to lower calories. Drink water..lots of water,,at least 64 ounces of water per day. Invest in a pedometer, and walk 10,000 steps every day.
    You can do this . Good luck.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    What you lack is knowledge to make good decisions. Start by reading stickies on the forum and understanding how weight gain and loss work.

Then move onto getting the right mindset so you are prepared for whats involved. So you have on your ticker your aim of wanting to lose 62lb. As a rule of thumb lets say you want to lose 1lb a week, that gives you 62 weeks. i.e the task of losing weight to get you to your target could well take you a year of consistent dieting and exercise. You could lose faster, but sometimes you might lose slower, its just to give you an idea. You need a mindset that is prepared to commit and cope with that task for that period of time. Your expectations need to be realistic. None of this need to lose weight fast before new years mentality becayse you are setting yourself up for a fall. You could probably lose 6-12lb by NY if you did it properly.

You then need to learn how to use MFP and create/;pg your deficit properly.

Then you need to sort out diet and as you sau the challenges of being a vegetarian in India. there are manu dieters from India on this site so just get them on your friends list then you cna look at their diary, there are also vegetarian groups and you could join one of those. Rge biggest challenge I think is finding suitable sources of protein, but they exist.

Finally you need to sort out and decide what exercise you will do. Its 80% diet but exercise is a valuable tool for health and fitness plays if you do enough it cna help with weight loss as well.

Baby steps, get a good plan and then set easily achieveable realistic targets to motivate you to keep going. Day by day and week by week, its all about consistency and sustaining your effort. Look after those and the lbs/ sones will take care of themselves.

Imo he motivation has to come largely from you and wnating it enough plus being prepared to knuckle down and get on with it.
  • healthkumbh
    healthkumbh Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Shibani, it is good if you are vegetarian. I think Indian food is full of carbs. But we require all kind of foods, but in proper quantity. Problem happens when we take them disproportionately. You must maintain carbs, fibers, fat, protein and minerals in your diet. Add foods that help you burn calories.

Here I saw a comprehensive list of foods to take and foods to avoid.
    http://www.healthkumbh.com/blogdetail/294&Stay-close,-stay-away-foods-for-healthy-living