struggling with motivation

Options
Okay so I had 4 day's "off" over my birthday about a week a go or so, I put 4lbs back on over this period :/

But since then, I've not been able to get my solid motivation back . . . I mean, I'm eating under my calorie intake, not totally the right food but it's not too many calories.

But I just can't get back into it fully, I've only been back to the gym three time's since the 20th and the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred once . . . I do walk everywhere but I just have no will power or self control, if someone offers me it, I just eat it!!!

then I spend the rest of the day feeling guilty . . . or when I do exercise I eat some of those calories back and I make myself feel awful because of it for the rest of the day :/

just any tips on motivation or self control would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks to all who have already commented on this topic for me :)

Replies

• idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it is when the motivation isn't there. Just push through it. If you go to the gym and work you will see results and that is when I typically "refind" my motivation. Just push! You can do it. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • daffysbird
    Options
    I don't know if it would work for you, but I set myself mini targets eg I want to weigh ?? by such and such a date. On the days that I hit those targets I allow myself rewards. For example one of my goals is to be 120kg by 01/07/11 and as a reward my fiance has promised to take me out for a cinema trip, this may not sound massive but as we can't afford to do this regularly it will be nice to work towards. The motivation really helps. Also, I am being very brave and writing my weight on my facebook status every time I weight and the praise and/or encouragement is really helping.

Like I said it may not work for everyone but it is certainly helping me.

Good Luck
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I find that when I struggle, its usually because something mentally is blocking me and my focus from getting back on track. Take some time to yourself and just think about what you're feeling. In the end, you might find that you were your own worst enemy, but you'll also find the way to get back on track. :]
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    DO even when you don't feel like DOING. That's just it...NO ONE can motivate someone else if they are not willing to DO themselves. Accept what you have done, LEARN from it, be thankful you caught yourself at 4 lbs. gain, FORGIVE Yourself. NOW, back to Health.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    We all have off days so you have to put those behind you and move on. If you don't and you continue to feel guilty, you'll sabatoge yourself. This is not about perfection but it is about consistency and when you fall off track, make a true effort to get back up.

- Decide what you truly want. In some ways its better to stay at the weight you're at rather than torture yourself with a failed wieght loss plan. Do you truly want to lose weight and develop/maintain a healthy lifestyle? If you are not ready to hit this long term, then now is not the time for you.

- Make small changes. You don't have to be perfect all at once. Start by committing to a healthy breakfast and the gym 2 times per week. Build from there.

- Sometimes you just have to suck it up. When someone offers you food you know is not in your plan you have to say no. If you go out you have to make good choices. This is a difficult process and it does mean making sacrifices. Willpower is like a muscle, if you use it, it'll get stronger!

- Reaffirm your goals every day. In my daily planner I write down my short term goals every single day. When temptation flares up, I say them in my head repeatedly until it passes.

-Short term rewards are great - I'm working towards a pedicure when I lose the next 10 lbs. Long term rewards are even better. I have never felt this good and looked so amazing in my entire life. Now that I'm here, there's no way I'm going back.

-Use MFP - it really does help, with focus, tracking, venting, and support!

You can do this. It takes resolve, consistency, and effort. Good luck!
  • kristarablue
    Options
    Look, there are no words to say that will motivate you. You have to be internally motivated and commit to yourself. You are worth it, but you have to believe it. You either want to do it or you don’t and whatever you decide is alright but once you make the decision..no guilt.

Couple of Strategies:

1. Write down your goals…make them realistic and attainable for short-term. Maybe a goal might be to eat clean for two meals a day, then bump it up to three and so forth. Make little goals…baby steps. Put the list on your mirror so you will see it often and read it over everyday. Cross them off when you accomplish them, then do a new list
    2. Commit to working out. Schedule in the times and when you don’t feel like it (because trust me I never feel like it), think about how your MFP friends will kick your butt if you don’t…lol If all else fails put it as your status that you need to have your butt kicked into working out, anytime I have done this, I get plenty of responses.
    3. Have an accountability partner, whether it is an MFP friend or someone else that you know will not take excuses..but you can’t be mad at them when they push you.
    4. I know I have never been able to take four days off then get back, I find that even a little bad stuff puts me off course for a while. Some people can handle it, I know that I can’t because of the guilt. Once you feel the guilt it becomes a cycle and then you eat because you feel bad and you feel worse because you ate..ect…ect One more thing on this….just say NO, cake is not a requirement and most of the time it is not as good as it looks anyway. If someone tries to push it on you, say NO, if they push you farther, say NO thank you. It is ok to so NO, you will be sooooo proud of yourself for doing so and every time you say no it will get easier

Good luck to you, I have faith that you can turn it around, sometimes just writing it out helps. You are going to be a Rock Star!!! I can feel it!!!
  • ameeann
    ameeann Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    All your comment's are so lovely! thank you people, you all have good suggestions!

I really do relate to the guilt cycle though . . . and from now on I think I will set myself mini goals ans make sure they're in an obvious place in my home!

THANK YOU ALL :)