Egg White Ideas

Options
moco916
moco916 Posts: 11 Member
I try and eat egg whites as a good source of protein, but they can be super bland. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make them taste better without adding a ton of calories?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    add salsa and/or cheese? If I may ask, why are you not eating the whole egg? The most nutritious part is the yolk!
  • birdstudios
    birdstudios Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fresh herbs make them taste yummy. I like egg white omlettes with fresh thyme, basil and flat leaf parsley, a pinch of dried tumeric, salt and pepper. Can also add finely diced red capsicum (bell pepper) and shredded kale.
  • moco916
    moco916 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations. I don't eat the whole egg because I don't like the yolk plus my cholesterol would be through the roof due to the amount of eggs I eat.
  • NotAbbieNormal
    NotAbbieNormal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I like to make an egg white omelet with smoked turkey (from the deli), sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh baby spinach. Sometimes, I don't even bother with the omelet - I just stir the ingredients together with the egg whites and scramble them up together.
  • notyouraveragetalia
    Options
    I make an "egg pancake" for my ride to work to up my protein and get some quick fuel in.

1/2 cup egg whites
    1/2 scoop protein powder
    1/4 cup almond milk
    few dashes cinnamon

cook in a skillet w/ lid on. It gets a bit fluffy. It's not by any means the most delicious think you can eat, but it carries me into my breakfast. I also will cook one up if I'm low on protein for the day.
  • chelseavanchilli
    chelseavanchilli Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    you can make something a bit more complicated but filling by boiling some cauliflower, draining it and breaking it up, then mix it with the egg whites, pepper, powdered garlic and salt and then making an omelette (you can add some baking powder for it tu fill up a bit)..it turns out a bit like a 'spanish omelette' of sorts
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup egg whites, 1 laughing cow cheese wedge, salt, pepper, onion powder. Microwave for 2 minutes. Chop and put into 1/2 of a pita. fast, easy, delicious, and low calorie.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat egg whites and I just prepare them the same way I would with the yolk included: scrambled w/tomatoes, peppers and onions, omelette w/turkey and spinach, as a frittata, in a quiche, boiled and chopped up in a tuna salad, on pumpernickel toast (I just happen to like pumpernickel).
  • ANewCrystal4Life
    ANewCrystal4Life Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I chop up 2 links of Jimmy Dean Chorizo Chicken (fully cooked/microwaveable, 3 links is 1 serving) into 2 raw egg whites and I mix together and microwave for about a 1:20 on high. sprinkle with some shreeded cheese. Low cal and high protein.
  • marcywiseman
    marcywiseman Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love mine with fresh spinach, tomatoes, cut up squash, onions...and then top it with 1/2 cup or so of my favorite salsa. It's super good! :smiley:
  • jim_just_jim
    jim_just_jim Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I like an egg-white omelot in the AM with some fresh spinach lightly cooked along with it, topped with srirachi sauce and or salsa. yum. If they are hard boiled you can scoop the yolk out and fill the egg white half with all kinds of goodies...
  • laciemn
    laciemn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When making oatmeal with steel cut oats or regular rolled oats, right as you are finishing them, add in as many egg whites as there are servings, and stir really well and quickly so there's no white scrambling up. Then season the oatmeal regularly (I like cinnamon, SG maple syrup, butter, but there are loads of combos). Makes the oatmeal more filling.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    chorizo with egg whites looks and tastes the same as chorizo with eggs.

omelettes with very flavorful ingredients will.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    moco916 wrote: »
    I don't eat the whole egg because I don't like the yolk

I hear you on that! Yuck, egg yolk.

I make an egg-white omelette every day or two. One easy thing to do is that if you have leftovers around (for me it might be curried chicken or a chilli), you can mix a bit of the sauce with the egg white and then fold the omelette over the meat.

Any kind of veggie filling is good: spinach, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, squash, potatoes, etc. A little bit of cheese in an omelette also goes a very long way. Of course you can add whatever herbs you like to the filling, but you can also add a bit of flavor to the egg whites themselves with garlic paste, garlic-ginger paste, tabasco sauce, or anything else you happen to like :smile:

Like Marcy, I generally have a salsa or chutney around to use as a topping. I absolutely need a topping if it's a whole fried egg, because otherwise, yuck egg yolk! The yolk doesn't have the protein, that's the white, but it does have other good stuff so I'll sometimes make an omelette -- husband and I split them -- with 4 egg whites and 2 whole eggs, or some amount like that. That way it's easy to conceal that icky egg yolk taste!

Incidentally, if you can find Black Salt, my theory is that it makes everything taste better, always. :smile:

• MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • kmclamb13
    kmclamb13 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    egg whites ,spinach, and salsa
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I do.. three egg whites …chopped white onion…one wedge of laughing cow light swiss cream cheese broken up…crumble one sausage patty or some turkey bacon… scramble it into an omelet. season. very wonderful.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Try one whole egg and two whites instead. I scramble eggs with veggies (saute or steam veggies first): broccoli and sweet onion, or spinach and mushroom. I am going to try the salsa idea! I also use cheese: low fat feta and spinach or broccoli and half a piece of American cheese. Yum.