Can't loose any more weight.

Options

Replies

• Ryandecheney314
    Ryandecheney314 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    If your Cycling "22" miles per day and only eating 1200 calories something is wrong. Either your lying about what your actaully doing OR your lying about what your actually doing.

You might think your only eating 1200 calories a day but in actuality it most likely way more then that, with a closed diary its hard to tell.

Are you actually weighing out ALL your foods?? Once you get down to the final stages of weight loss, every single calorie counted is very crucial. Every thing you put into your body needs to be weighed out on a food scale to get accurate calorie amounts. Just guessing isnt going to do any good at this point. When you have 50+ pounds to lose you can get away with it becasue you margin for error is a lot higher, but when you have 5-10 pounds to lose you margin for error is a lot lower so you need to be as accurate as possible with your calorie intake.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If the OP is indeed cycling 22 miles a day (11 miles both ways), it could be that her body has gotten used to this amount/type of exercise and she should add to it/intensify it. Doing the same exercises in the same amounts on a consistent basis means that the body will get used to it and less energy is expended for the same amount of activity over time. Still coming back to a lack of calorie deficit, but doesn't mean the OP is lying about what she does - just that the calorie deficit isn't what it once was. But without knowing what she actually eats, it's hard to say for sure.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Plateau is another word for eating g to much. :)

That's one ugly assumption you're making. Not everyone sticks to their daily count, some cheat; but to assume everyone who's plateau'd is lying is just plain ignorant and stupid. You're using your ignorance to emphasize destructive habits.

If someone is cheating then they're cheating and lying to themselves. If someone is sticking to their calorie plan, with a deficit, they'll eventually break through the plateau. As I'm always saying, weight is one of the worst ways to measure progress.
    Whoa.

I never said, nor did I imply, that anyone is lying. I said plateau is another word for eating too much, which it is. That does not mean someone is lying, it means they are miscalculating.

If you're not losing weight, It's not assumed you are eating too much, it's a fact.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    View a chart of most peoples' significant weight loss and you see plateaus. It happens to most of us, and not from overeating. That's why the term exists. Weight loss is rarely linear.

Though if you don't experience plateaus it's probably very tempting to assume you do something right that nearly everyone else missed.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    View a chart of most peoples' significant weight loss and you see plateaus. It happens to most of us, and not from overeating. That's why the term exists. Weight loss is rarely linear.

Though if you don't experience plateaus it's probably very tempting to assume you do something right that nearly everyone else missed.

Walking Along,

Since you believe a plateau is not based on eating at maintenance, then please share what you believe it is based on.

I agree 100 % that weight loss is not linear, but I think that is a different issue. It is my understanding that a plateau is based on several weeks of a standstill with weight. It is really easy to miscalculate--to not notice that our calorie deficit is lessened due to a possible decrease in activity, or we become a bit lax in our logging habits, or to get so busy that we forget to log something. I've done these things before, and I'm sure countless other people have too, and continue to do so.

Sidesteel posted a wonderful sticky at the top of this forum that addresses this issue:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think#latest

• eryquem
    eryquem Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »

So weight is one of the worst ways to measure weightloss? ok...

No, but weight can be a very inaccurate way to measure fat loss

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    nosajjao wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Plateau is another word for eating g to much. :)

That's one ugly assumption you're making. Not everyone sticks to their daily count, some cheat; but to assume everyone who's plateau'd is lying is just plain ignorant and stupid. You're using your ignorance to emphasize destructive habits.

If someone is cheating then they're cheating and lying to themselves. If someone is sticking to their calorie plan, with a deficit, they'll eventually break through the plateau. As I'm always saying, weight is one of the worst ways to measure progress.

No. You are wrong. Plateau is a make believe word used by someone who is eating at maintenance level contrary to their beliefs. People 'break through their plateau' as you put it, because they start eating at a deficit. There is no magic wall put up by some wicked witch that physically puts a wall or adds hidden calories to stop you from losing the pounds....
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Milvardea wrote: »
    Have you tried having "up" days on occasion to reset your metabolism? I can't eat the same number of calories every day, because my body adjusts to it. I have "up" days" (2100 calories ish) and "down" days (1700 calories) to shock my metabolism. Also, you might want to up your calories to compensate for all of the exercise you're doing.

Also, have you tried measuring yourself? You might be gain muscle, which is heavier than fat, and losing inches, but not weight.

Good luck!

This is also nonsense. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Dont worry about your friend metabolism. He will just head off to the pub.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Eat more!!!!!!!!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more, not less.
    NO
    You need to reevaluate your logging.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    OP, I honestly think you're overestimating your exercise calories or underestimating your food intake, because even when I unintentionally went below 1,200 calories for an extended period of time, I still lost weight steadily. None of that plateau myths. Just make sure you eat enough, and drink plenty of water. I'd strongly suggest against reducing your calorie intake, so perhaps, determine carefully how much exercise you're getting each day, and work your way from there. Good luck!
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    We have started weighing out our food,,,,big difference, you all should try it, yes it takes a few moments...guess what we have learned, you will never guess how much stuff weighs, never, it is an eye opener. You can use spoons and cups,,nope, weigh your food out, it can be a learning experience . ok, thats my 10 cents worth.
  • trm68
    trm68 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just looked up Mesa, az. In the summer it gets up over 110 degrees, and winter around 20 to 30. If you ride 22 miles a day in that weather, you are really in good shaped...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    so you are netting zero calories a day and can't lose weight..? got ya….
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mkollenb wrote: »
    I am 5 feet 4 inches tall 148lbs right now. I am following the 1200 calorie diet on my fitness pal. I have lost a total of 52lbs so far. I bike 11 miles to work & 11 miles home. 22 miles a day. I have tried to loose more weight and can't seem to drop my goal is 125 pounds. I am trying to figure out what I should do to conquer this problem. I am not giving up.

Congrats on your loss so far! That's great.

A few questions: are you eating back exercise calories? What do you mean when you say you aren't losing? How long has it been? What has your weekly trend been for the past 2 months? Did your weight loss taper off or what?

Also, did you change anything or have you been doing the same thing all along?

How is your logging? Do you go over on occasion, skip days?

One helpful thing can be to calculate your TDEE from your information if you have logged consistently. Basically add up the calories you've eaten over, say, the past 60 days, add an additional 3500 for each pound lost, and divide by 60.

I'm sure you know what your commute to work is, so you are getting a consistent amount of exercise. One question is whether you are really eating an average of 1200 per day, every day. For the record, I'd think that was too low (I'd eat back exercise calories or put your activity level at active), but it's not why you aren't losing. More likely it's logging related. When you get closer to go you need to be more precise and erroneous entries (which are a problem in the database) matter when they didn't before. Also, if you are at all like me, it gets harder to be as consistent and careful and not permit more sloppy logging when you start feeling good about where you are, even though you have more to go. Not saying this is the case, but it's something to look at, which is why opening the diary can be helpful, but you can also do it yourself, especially if you do the tdee calculation and see if the are missing meals, etc. if your tdee comes in really low, the question become whether it is logging or metabolism, and that's where you will want to think about changes you've made, etc.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    the stupidity of some people is astonishing.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »

No. You are wrong. Plateau is a make believe word used by someone who is eating at maintenance level contrary to their beliefs. People 'break through their plateau' as you put it, because they start eating at a deficit. There is no magic wall put up by some wicked witch that physically puts a wall or adds hidden calories to stop you from losing the pounds....

As weight loss isnt linear then its quite possible to go through a plateau until the body decides it wants to move down or up . Just because you are eating at a deficit doesnt mean it instantly translates into downward movement. It may be the person is eating at maintenance, but it may also be the bidy is adjusting as well.

plateau
    a state of little or no change following a period of activity or progress.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This just isn't a safe place anymore.