Need mass advice

Options
Hello everyone i am a 24 yr old mom of two and need all the help i can get. Both of my kids were c section so i have the dreaded pouch. I never have time to cook healthy but i need to lose weight its getting out of control if you have any helpful advixe PLEASE let me have it thanks!!

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    fill out your MFP profile very honestly. that's the best advice i have for someone just starting out.
  • marlovs78
    marlovs78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you "never have time to cook healthy" - weight loss will be a challenge. There are good recipes in that section of the forums. Wishing you great success!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    It only posted half my answer.

In short...read links provided!
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Learn to use your crockpot. There are some great healthy recipes on Skinnytaste.com using it. It has become my new best friend. Just dump it in, turn it on and go.
  • TheRealKit
    TheRealKit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I work crazy hours some days and my crock pot is my best friend!
    If you are cooking at all ...there is always time to turn that meal into something healthy .
    I plan my meals a week at a time and that is what helps me or my family would starve.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Learn to use your crockpot. There are some great healthy recipes on Skinnytaste.com using it. It has become my new best friend. Just dump it in, turn it on and go.

So true, Also I find all the left overs great too, You can pull them out of the fridge, weigh them and toss into a wrap or whatever....

• Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

So true, Also I find all the left overs great too, You can pull them out of the fridge, weigh them and toss into a wrap or whatever....

+1

Try Crock Pot Sante Fe Chicken
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/02/crock-pot-santa-fe-chicken-425-pts.html
    It only takes a minute to shred the chicken and to drain the beans, the rest is in cans that you open and dump, and it is incredibly good. My whole family loves this!
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Yummie ^ I also like pork tenderloin in a balsamic sauce.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Of course you have time to cook healthy

Plan ahead - when the kids are in bed check out healthier versions of what you make at the moment or what you might like to make

Do meal planning and shopping lists

cook in bulk when kids are occupied and portion up and freeze - put a label with cals per 100 grammes on it

Don't fall on excuses - we all have them, we all use them .. the only people they hurt or reassure is us

and watch your portion sizes
  • thickmommy02
    Options
    Thanks to everyone i love how people are so helpful on here! Any advice how to stay away from chocolate lol im a huge fan
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone i love how people are so helpful on here! Any advice how to stay away from chocolate lol im a huge fan

There are some chocolate bars that use artificial sweeteners that are pretty decent. You have to experiment though, to find which ones you like. My wife gets some from Weight Watchers brand that are really pretty good. They still are "fat pills", but not nearly as bad as regular.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

My best advice about this? Don't try to stay away from it, just find a way to make it work within your calorie limit. In my (and many others') experience, cutting things out of your diet usually leads to failure. If you find a way to keep them a fairly regular part of your diet, you'll do much better. When I first started out, I turned to Vitatops but they're kind of expensive so I switched to snack bars like those made by FiberOne and Special K. And now I get protein bars (Protein Plus is best both value and taste-wise) for my sweet fix.

As far as meals, portion control is top priority but you can also make some healthy swaps to cut the calories. For instance, when making casseroles, I add veggies or increase the veggies called for (ex: 16oz bag of frozen chopped spinach vs 10oz). I also go for leaner meats or use less meat, cut down on the carby stuff (pasta, potato, rice) and sometimes use lower fat dairy.

Good luck!
  • Ryandecheney314
    Ryandecheney314 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I never have time to cook healthy

One of the things I hate hearing about the most is the "never have time" excuse. There is always time, you just have to make the time. I am one of the busiest people I know, juggling my business, family, fitness, and life all around within a 24 hour period.

What works best for me is setting aside a few hours on sunday and do nothing but food prep. Bake tons of chicken, cook tons of rice and other foods i eat during the week. weigh it all out in individual Tupperware container and store it in the fridge. That way when I wake up in the morning, I grab my containers and leave for the day.

• KatJ_NZ
    KatJ_NZ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My favourite quick meals are steamed vegetables and a grilled chicken breast, fish fillet, or piece of steak. You can add couscous if you want a carb. The whole thing will be done in 10 minutes.

Stirfry is also really quick, and has the benefit of being all in one pan. Throw in meat, add some vegetables, and a packet of hokkien noodles (or similar). Again, less than 15 minutes from fridge to table.

Best of luck! You can do it :smile:
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options

I like to buy the Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips. I like them when I want chocolate, but don't want to eat/can't fit an actual bar into my macros.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid chocolate and don't trust yourself with it, don't buy it - simple. If you can have only a little bit here and there put it in your diary and see if you can spare the calories. Only you know which option you can deal with. For me, I just don't have it, ever. It's far easier to train my mind to think "I don't eat XXX" rather than trying to exercise control over when I stop when I have some. Everyone's different.

As for time, pretty much what the others have said. We all got lives. Work, kids, study, exercise, partners, family, the list goes on. Make time. Cook something you can put in 4 or 5 containers so you don't have to cook for a few days. Find a few simple meals and eat them regularly. If you look at people's diaries, alot of us eat the same or similar most days. Makes it easier. I make up a week's worth of lunches on Sunday to take to work. I have one of probably 5 things for dinner on an average weeknight. How bad do you want it? Or will you be one of the majority who can't be bothered and have an endless supply of excuses. You decide.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I never have time to cook healthy

One of the things I hate hearing about the most is the "never have time" excuse. There is always time, you just have to make the time. I am one of the busiest people I know, juggling my business, family, fitness, and life all around within a 24 hour period.

What works best for me is setting aside a few hours on sunday and do nothing but food prep. Bake tons of chicken, cook tons of rice and other foods i eat during the week. weigh it all out in individual Tupperware container and store it in the fridge. That way when I wake up in the morning, I grab my containers and leave for the day.

This is exactly what I do. . . .Sunday afternoons I cook a few different things, grill some chicken for salad, roast a pork tenderloin, make a batch of rice, do a batch of turkey chili. I measure everything out in single serve portions, freeze most of it and then take out each morning what I'm planning to eat that day.

Especially if you have children, you can't use the "I don't have time to cook" excuse. What are you planning to feed them? If you have time to post to message boards on the Internet, you have time to cook.

• logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    What help do you get with the children? Is their father around?

Also - chocolate? I saved 99 calories every day for an evening Blue Riband. Others swear by a few pieces of high cocoa, high quality chocolate.
  • lugnut1407
    Options
    My advice to you, and you dont need to stay away from chocolate haha. Eat less calories than you burn. Work out 3 times a week with light weights. 2 sets of 12-20 reps for each body part that you work out. Vertical loading fashion, which means do all exercises one after the next with no break before moving on to the next set. I am a personal trainer by the way :)