Clean eating

Options

Replies

• DaniTronMcNally
    DaniTronMcNally Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started clean eating recently and have lost a lot more than I thought I would. I eat over 1400 calories a day but it's all chicken, eggs, whole grains and veggies (and sometimes a steak because YUM) I feel fantastic and I sleep better. I'm really happy with how it's going and can't wait to see more results.
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I recently wrote a blog post about this: https://www.dietbetter.com/community/posts/general/4051-eating-clean-cooking-ahead-is

You don't have to avoid going out completely- get a salad! If it's Mexican, get fajitas and avoid the tortillas. If Chinese, go for lean meat and veggies- Kung Pao is my favorite, and I avoid the rice.

Eating clean has made all the difference in my weight loss journey. To me, it means avoiding processed foods as much as possible- but it doesn't mean you always have to cook. This morning I grabbed some shrimp, threw it in a bag, grabbed some salad greens, threw them in a bag- I'll top it with lemon juice and pepper, and viola- LUNCH!

Good luck to you- feel free to add me on here if you want to.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    angelb1983 wrote: »
    Looking for advice from those that "eat clean". I want to start this by saying I know that it does not help with weight loss...I am wanting to do it merely for health reasons and to gain a desire for healthier foods. Anyway, to those who clean eat...what does that mean to you? What do you do when you are running around and don't have time to go home and make something. How do you prevent eating out? Do you find that clean eating has reduced your desire to eat less healthy foods, or do you always crave those? What are some breakfast ideas? I can't stand oatmeal because of the texture, but other options would be awesome! And one more question, what are some foods that you always keep in the refrigerator? Would love to look at your diary for ideas...Going from a diet that is 90% processed to 90% clean will have its challenges, I am sure.

By clean eating, what exactly do you mean? My definition of clean eating is eating foods where there are minimal steps (usually 5 or less) to get it from its original state to my plate.

My rule is 80% clean 20% dirty, here's why: if I don't eat the dirty things sometimes I will go crazy. However, I have IBS so after adapting myself to eating clean my flare ups are minimal anymore but when I do choose to eat things not so clean I'm ill afterwards and I pay for it later. This kind of stops me from really binging but sometimes, you can't help it right? You made plans with the girls or with work and you're just going out - you don't wanna seem like the downer right? I think eating clean hasn't reduced my want to the dirty foods - I still love the taste of them BUT I know they will make me feel ill and I don't want to eat them because of how sick I know I will be. I'm not sure how others have felt about this though.

I can't help you with breakfast because I eat yogurt and granola almost every morning. When I'm not eating that, I cook some eggwhites with a bit of shredded cheese on top and eat that for breakfast :) I do meal prep though, so I make all of my meals and snacks for the week on weekends and that way I'm not tempted to buy anything. If I am buying something I usually plan it because I know ahead of time. This allows me to be able to plan going out within my caloric intake and within my own limits. Also - someone once told me to not think of breakfast as just breakfast, but to think of it as a regular meal. With that being said, you can eat almost anything you want for breakfast. If you have something you can whip up quickly and know you like to eat but you usually have it for lunch, don't let that stop you - eat away!! Breakfast doesn't have to be just cereal, it can be anything you want it to be.

Good luck though! It can be tough to make the switch, but when I did I felt better and was much less bloated, with less flareups
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Looking for advice from those that "eat clean". I want to start this by saying I know that it does not help with weight loss...I am wanting to do it merely for health reasons and to gain a desire for healthier foods.

You know lots of people try to eat healthy without buying into the "clean eating" thing or who simply think that terminology is vague and unhelpful, right?

I also wonder why people want to limit discussions of eating healthy to people who buy into a particular kind of language, especially one that seems to vary so dramatically in its meaning. And especially when you start by asking what "clean eating" means to people. Why not ask what healthy eating means to people. Again, I suspect a huge number of people who don't self-define as "clean eaters" care about health just as much as you do.
    What are some breakfast ideas? I can't stand oatmeal because of the texture, but other options would be awesome!

Paleo types wouldn't even agree that oatmeal is "clean" and neither should the "non-processed" people, since it's processed by definition. I like Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut, but like most oatmeal, it comes in a package.

Anyway, not sure why I'm answering this, as my answer is irrelevant as a non "clean" eater, but I generally eat a vegetable omelet with whatever veggies are on hand plus (usually) some feta cheese. Today's was mushroom, onion, broccoli, and spinach.

Because I like large breakfasts and more protein, I also usually have something else. Today it was lowfat cottage cheese (which, of course, is not "clean" under many or most definitions, although I am picky about the source of my dairy). Often it's fruit, yogurt, or smoked salmon (also processed, obviously).
    And one more question, what are some foods that you always keep in the refrigerator?

Meat, vegetables, fruit, dairy, eggs. I generally have potatoes and sweet potatoes on hand also.

I eat some processed foods (as it is usually defined)--lots of dairy products, occasional sausage, some oatmeal and other grains, canned and dried beans (not as much as I should), more rarely pasta, plus a good amount of ice cream, protein powder and Quest bars. Also frozen fish and meat (the latter from a farm). However, most of what I eat (despite not being a "clean eater") is made from whole foods, although I do go out to eat not infrequently. So with those caveats, you are welcome to look in my diary if you want.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There will be much grade-school-style mocking and many people bragging about what non-healthy food they eat, which is somehow supposed to make you feel worse, lol. But good for you!

Lean, white meat. Fresh fruits and veggies. Low or no fat dairy. Whole grain breads.

http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/

There will also be a lot of people who make the assumption that they know what "clean" means, but since there are no clear parameters, it means something different for every person who does it. Some eat no sugar at all, some include honey since it's natural...or agave or turbinado or "less processed" sugars. Some don't eat grains, some include whole grains. Some pay more attention to sustainability and fair trade practices in their food's "cleanliness" than others.

For example, quinoa can no longer be considered fair trade or "clean" in most instances because it has been priced out of reach of the very people who grow it, who traditionally used it for a staple, and now must find less nutritious, more affordable food while they grow our quinoa. Whole? Sure. Clean? That's questionable.
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Great blog 33Freya! Acorsaut89, I think 80% is probably where I will be, and by some standards maybe not even that. I will still eat cheese (not sure if that is "clean" or not)100% whole wheat bread, and occasional dark chocolate. I may even have a day that I eat the "dirty" foods haha that word for food I find funny, anyway, I agree that overly depriving yourself can lead to binging. Been there done that.....
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    clean eating threads usually turn into mocking, adolescent, train wrecks where folks become obtuse for "fun".

I disagree. People dislike being told that they don't care about health or eat "unclean" foods just because they don't share certain debateable (at best) premises, like that grains are bad or that all processed foods are bad or (most weird) that oatmeal and store-bought yogurt aren't really processed.

Why can't people share ideas about healthy eating more broadly instead of insisting that they exchange ideas only with those who self-identify as "clean" or join groups of people who self-identify as "clean" or "paleo," and the like.

I do not concede that someone who self-defines as say "paleo," cares more about health that someone who doesn't. They might just have different ideas about what's healthy. For example, I think it would be healthier for me to eat more beans than I do, whereas someone who self-defines as "paleo" claims that I should give up beans for health and someone against processed foods ought to (for consistency) point out that they are processed (even though I could easily grow them in my garden and dry them myself).

One can debate whether it's useful/healthy to include something processed like protein powder, but usually people don't include it because they are uninterested in health. That's why these discussions drive me crazy. The subtext is only people who self-define as "clean" eaters are concerned about healthy eating or worth discussing nutrition with.
  • angelb1983
    angelb1983 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    lemurcat, this is why I get so confused. It is all the rules associated with differing viewpoints on what "clean" or "whole" is. I can't see myself giving up every processed food if yogurt is even considered processed. My goal, I suppose, is to eat less boxed foods, less out to eat, and more foods that actually have a nutritional value. I guess I am not sure if that is "clean" or "whole" after all.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I look at it like this: If it's possible for me to make it myself, with fresh ingredients, then I do. If it's not possible or I'm not particularly inclined (beans, for instance), then I look for the most minimally processed, preferably organic, option available.

If I can't buy fresh, then I choose frozen over canned, hermetic packages over aluminum cans, etc. and pay attention to the ingredients. If I'm buying black beans, the ingredients should just say black beans, or at most, black beans and salt. I'm going to rinse them anyway, so the added salt will be minimal.

I eat as wide a variety of foods as possible, including lots of different kinds of veggies, cheeses, grains, legumes, and proteins.

I've learned to make my own breads and pastas, ice cream, nut butter, and I'm planning to make my own cheeses and salad dressings. It makes a huge difference in the taste when you make learn to make these things yourself.
  • Zephalia
    Zephalia Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a 'clean eater', I don't really know what that defines to be totally honest. I choose to eat as little processed food as possible, choosing fresh ingredients and snack items over pre-made or pre-packaged.

For example, I have smoothies in the morning for breakfast which consist of a couple different fruits veggies, yogurt, skim milk and some flax seed meal or chia seeds.

My lunches tend to be a piece of meat (oven baked chicken for example) and some veggies/fruits. Chicken Caesar salad is a favorite of mine at work. Fish, beef, pork...there are lots of options to couple with a huge array of salads. I do use store bought dressing however and this takes up the larger portion of my calorie count - which I account for.

Dinners can be a variety of things but I often make homemade soups from all fresh ingredients on the weekends and freeze in individual portions for during the week. I dislike cooking when I get home from work and this has put a near stop to my fast food issues. I say near because I've found that the chicken wraps from McDonald's are delicious and fairly guilt free on-the-go dinner (within my daily caloric intake) when I just don't have time or didn't prepare.

Some of the things I keep on hand at all times are lots of fruits (apples, bananas, oranges) and veggies (carrots, celery, broccoli) that make great snacks any time of the day. Granola bars and almonds are another great filler in between meals. I try not to keep any junk food in the house such as chips, ice cream or other items I have a weakness for. I personally find it too hard to control myself when it's right there.

Overall, I am not completely clean or whole or whatever you want to call it. However, when I used to have Tim Horton's coffee and a bagel slathered in cream cheese for breakfast, some heavy fried items with French fries for lunch, topped off with a heavy fast food dinner...then evening snacking on chips and ice cream...I'll say I'm eating a heck of a lot cleaner!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    33Freya wrote: »
    If it's Mexican, get fajitas and avoid the tortillas. If Chinese, go for lean meat and veggies- Kung Pao is my favorite, and I avoid the rice.

What does avoiding tortillas and rice have to do with eating "clean"?

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Looking for advice from those that "eat clean". I want to start this by saying I know that it does not help with weight loss...I am wanting to do it merely for health reasons and to gain a desire for healthier foods. Anyway, to those who clean eat...what does that mean to you? What do you do when you are running around and don't have time to go home and make something. How do you prevent eating out? Do you find that clean eating has reduced your desire to eat less healthy foods, or do you always crave those? What are some breakfast ideas? I can't stand oatmeal because of the texture, but other options would be awesome! And one more question, what are some foods that you always keep in the refrigerator? Would love to look at your diary for ideas...Going from a diet that is 90% processed to 90% clean will have its challenges, I am sure.
    I don't know if this qualifies, but I buy as few processed foods as possible. I make peanut butter, bread, have learned how to cook my meals at home, simply because it's all so fun. When I go to a potluck, I reach for homemade instead fast food. Note this has nothing to do with weight loss and is preference only. I still eat out, and once in awhile and indulge in fast food once in a blue moon.

For me, type of food is all about balance and nutrition, and calories in/out is about weight loss.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    Try steel cut oats. The texture is better. And Google a recipe for baked oatmeal. It is good. I have a lot of crustless quiche for breakfast. I bake 2 and have a slice each morning along with fruit.
    I eat the old fashioned oatmeal all the time, but have recently introduced steel cut oats. So good!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    If it's Mexican, get fajitas and avoid the tortillas. If Chinese, go for lean meat and veggies- Kung Pao is my favorite, and I avoid the rice.

Paleolithic man had no access to a tortilla press and wok
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    AmZam05 wrote: »
    I agree with the above poster that a better term is "whole foods." So basically making your meals as simple as possible using few ingredients and making sure they are fresh and not from a package.

I agree that "cooking from whole foods" is more accurate and less insulting than "eating clean" and reasonably descriptive of how I try to eat, although I still go out and eat some premade or packaged items (dried pasta, canned beans, yogurt, as discussed above).

I don't agree that using few ingredients is meaningful to health at all. I usually do cook with relatively few ingredients (although I may use lots of herbs and spices), because I work and am usually trying to cook pretty quickly, but I love to experiment with cooking and when I have time I might do something more elaborate like a tagine with many ingredients and I don't see why that would be less healthy. Indeed, since I started back on my weight loss plan I'm more likely to add lots of additional ingredients (more veggies) to my meat sauce, but I'd argue that makes it more healthy, not less.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There will be much grade-school-style mocking and many people bragging about what non-healthy food they eat, which is somehow supposed to make you feel worse, lol. But good for you!

Lean, white meat. Fresh fruits and veggies. Low or no fat dairy. Whole grain breads.

http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/

actually low no fat dairy is not considered clean. Full fat yogurt and milk is fantastic.Dark meat (chicken thighs) are tasty as all get out, especially baked or BBQ'd with skin intact.

Good illustration of how the "clean" terminology means nothing.

IMO, red meat is perfectly "clean" -- it's usually less processed than boneless, skinless chicken breast, after all. And fat has been skimmed off milk for ages, it's not a process that requires, well, much more processing than simply bottling and pasturizing milk (another issue), and I personally think low fat dairy is a healthy source of protein without too many additional calories. (I eat full fat dairy too--I like all kinds of dairy. Some claim no dairy is "clean," however.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    You don't have to avoid going out completely- get a salad! If it's Mexican, get fajitas and avoid the tortillas. If Chinese, go for lean meat and veggies- Kung Pao is my favorite, and I avoid the rice.

Why are the rice and tortillas "clean" and not the rest of the food?

Just another demonstration that there's no agreement on what "clean" means.

Personally, I disagree with those who would argue that restaurant food is "unclean." I go to restaurants where I suspect the food is higher calorie than what I prepare at home, but I don't think they use ingredients that are lower quality. I wouldn't go there if I did.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    edited November 2014
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

Paleolithic man had no access to a tortilla press and wok

Paleolithic man had no access to the vast majority of our modern foods. He also had to go out and hunt and forage for everything he ate. And then he died in his 30s.

Also, "clean" does not mean "Paleo." Although there is no consensus on what it does mean, there is at least a consensus that Paleo and clean are two different dietary concepts.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Popcorn

Seriously a thread with clean eating in the title gets them very very excited. Define what you mean by clean eating and probably dont mention clean eating.

I go for more own cooking, fruit and veg, lean protein, complex carbs. Thats enough for me. I will also have processed food no probs. Its a better and healthier balance than what I had before.

Choose what you wnat its your diet not theirs.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    AmZam05 wrote: »
    I agree with the above poster that a better term is "whole foods." So basically making your meals as simple as possible using few ingredients and making sure they are fresh and not from a package.

I agree that "cooking from whole foods" is more accurate and less insulting than "eating clean" and reasonably descriptive of how I try to eat, although I still go out and eat some premade or packaged items (dried pasta, canned beans, yogurt, as discussed above).

I don't agree that using few ingredients is meaningful to health at all. I usually do cook with relatively few ingredients (although I may use lots of herbs and spices), because I work and am usually trying to cook pretty quickly, but I love to experiment with cooking and when I have time I might do something more elaborate like a tagine with many ingredients and I don't see why that would be less healthy. Indeed, since I started back on my weight loss plan I'm more likely to add lots of additional ingredients (more veggies) to my meat sauce, but I'd argue that makes it more healthy, not less.

Yep...I don't add a bunch of needless crap to what I cook, but I do not limit the ingredients by some arbitrary number. It takes what it takes.