Hard boiled eggs...

Options
redfisher1974
redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
Not really a recipe per say, But I found the best way to hard boil good eggs is to place them in the pot and just cover with water bring to a boil turn burner off then cover pot and let sit for 20 minutes, Then drain water fill with cold water and let sit for 10 minutes... Found they peel great and are just about perfect! On a side note the older eggs work best. Cheers.

Replies

• Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I do almost the exact same thing but add salt to the water they boil in... Never have a problem. I probably use 2 tsp. approximately.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Glad I could help!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Interesting how a few different methods yeild good results. I put my eggs (as you say, the older ones are best) in a pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes then place immediately into an ice bath. They peel well and don't have the green ring around the yolk.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Mygsds wrote: »
    I do almost the exact same thing but add salt to the water they boil in... Never have a problem. I probably use 2 tsp. approximately.

I will try salt next time, Thanks
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Interesting how a few different methods yeild good results. I put my eggs (as you say, the older ones are best) in a pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes then place immediately into an ice bath. They peel well and don't have the green ring around the yolk.

Perfect! I will also try this and see how it works.
  • kat77023
    Options
    I do sort of the same procedure, except after the water comes to a boil, I cover and let sit for only 7 minutes -- then rinse them under cold water while peeling.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Like you've said, older eggs tend to work better, but I've found that the temperature at which you drop your eggs into the water can determine how well they cook and peel. Eggs which are dropped in simmering water, as opposed to cold/non-heated water tend to be harder to peel, and have that unsightly ring, in my experience. I usually leave them in the water till it comes to a rolling boil, take off the heat, cover, and wait around 11 minutes, before I place them in a cold water bath and run them under cold running water, and then peel. Works every time. :)
  • redfisher1974
    Options
  • ActuarialChef
    ActuarialChef Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »

I've been steaming my "hard boiled" eggs for the past few months with great success. I never had any luck getting pretty eggs after any of the boiling methods, but steaming has been working great! I bring about an inch of water to a boil, then put the eggs in my steamer insert and cover the whole thing. Let the water continue to boil for about 10 minutes, give or take, and always end up with perfect eggs that are a CINCH to peel*.

*My peeling method is different though.. I tap both ends on the counter then apply a little pressure to ONE side of the egg. I end up being able to peel the whole shell off in 1 or 2 pieces this way. It's similar to the "blow" method of shelling eggs, but I don't have to blow on it and get germs on other peoples' eggs :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I put the eggs in cold water that covers them. Bring the water to a boil. Shut off burner and cover pot. Let sit for 10 minutes. Drain hot water and fill pot with cold water. Crack the egg shells while still warm and put back in water for a short time before removing shells. The shell usually slides off pretty easy while they are still warm.
  • KandGRanch
    KandGRanch Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Not really a recipe per say, But I found the best way to hard boil good eggs is to place them in the pot and just cover with water bring to a boil turn burner off then cover pot and let sit for 20 minutes, Then drain water fill with cold water and let sit for 10 minutes... Found they peel great and are just about perfect! On a side note the older eggs work best. Cheers.

We get eggs from our hens...and dear lord it takes about 4 weeks for them to get anywhere NEAR peelable. I have just about given up on boiled eggs now that we have chickens, haha
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    You don't need salt - there us no benefit !! The green ring is caused when the eggs aren't cooled quickly enough but they aren't detrimental to the taste. I put eggs in cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 6 mins max. Drain and leave them under a running cold tap until cold ... Perfection !!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Adding a teaspoon or so of baking soda to the water while it's boiling will help them peel easier. Putting them in the water and then bringing them to boil will prevent cracking during boiling. Rolling to crack the shell can help with peeling as well.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    We use baking soda also, as we have chickens who lay eggs daily and so 'older' eggs really isnt a reality here. So baking soda in the water helps them to peel beautifully with out sticking to the shell.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Baking soda, Thanks... I steamed my eggs today and put them right in the fridge. Will see how they peel tomorrow!
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    We use baking soda also, as we have chickens who lay eggs daily and so 'older' eggs really isnt a reality here. So baking soda in the water helps them to peel beautifully with out sticking to the shell.
    ^^^This and an ice bath
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds weird...but I "boil" my eggs in the oven now. I saw the idea on Pinterest and I figured it wouldn't hurt to try...so much easier IMO than boiling them in a pot.

http://foodiefreek.tumblr.com/post/90691280311/for-anyone-that-may-not-know-the-best-way-to-make
  • dblCHeeZ
    dblCHeeZ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I do over a dozen every week following Alton Brown's oven technique. They always come out perfect and simple to do. 30 min at 320 on a wet cloth. Don't preheat the oven. Ice bath when done for 5min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1faC1B8WSI0