If I'm not hungry, but MyFitnessPal says I haven't had enough calories, should I eat more?

Options
There are days when I eat my goal amount of calories and feel hungry, and then there are some days, like today, where I'm not hungry at all, and my meals happened to both be low calorie so I receive a warning from My Fitness Pal that I should be eating more. Should I eat extra or is this only a problem if it happens often?

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    How many net calories did MFP calculate for your goal?
    How many are you eating?
    How much are you burning through exercise?
    How often /how long has this been going on?
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldnt worry about it, especially if thats not the norm. There are days your just not as hungry, and then days that you want more. Think of it as a weekly allotment of calories.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    It's OK to have not-hungry and under days, and hungry days when you go over a little. They balance each other out. Allow your not-hungry and under-goal days to give you the wiggle room to eat more when you're still hungry but have eaten the allowance for the day.
  • rdjvesey
    Options
    How many are you eating?

It calculated 1300, I generally eat 1300 +- 100
    Today I ate 952
    I haven't exercised yet, but usually burn 140 when I do
    Both yesterday and today, but it hasn't happened any other times in the past month.

• slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine to be a bit under or over sometimes, as long as it's not a significant amount. However, I always make sure I eat at least 1200 cal, even when I'm not hungry, partly to make sure I get all the nutrients I need but also to prevent waking up the next day hungry.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Have a couple tablespoons of peanut butter on a piece of toast and call it a day. I bet if you did a weekly tally it would all come out in the wash.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Something doesn't add up with you as a 21 year old male.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Something doesn't add up with you as a 21 year old male.

This^, you should always be hungry, you're a growing boy.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    OP ...
    how tall are you?
    how much do you currently weigh?
    what did you set as your weekly loss goal?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Considering that some religions have mandatory fast days and the devout survive, I think you'll be okay if you don't eat all your allotted calories.
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    Considering that some religions have mandatory fast days and the devout survive, I think you'll be okay if you don't eat all your allotted calories.

Your post has what do to with a 21 year old eating so little without knowing their height, weight, or weekly loss settings?
  • rdjvesey
    Options
    OP ...
    how tall are you?

I'm 5'5" 168 pounds and set a weekly loss goal of 1.5 lbs/week.
  • indianwin2001
    indianwin2001 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    rdjvesey wrote: »
    OP ...
    how tall are you?

Eat more food. There is absolutely no reason you should be eating under 1000 calories. You're a grown man, start eating like one and go lift some weights.

THIS
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to decide this for themselves.

Me, I eat over when I'm hungry and under when I'm not. For me, it's crazy to force-feed myself on Monday and then go to bed hungry on Tuesday just because I have to eat what the number says. Others find that they do very well sticking to the number every day.

It's a personal decision.
  • gle8442
    gle8442 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I say listen to your body, and try counting calories over the week instead of over the day if you run into this problem a lot. As long as you aren't running way under a good part of the time...
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    How many are you eating?

It calculated 1300, I generally eat 1300 +- 100
    Today I ate 952
    I haven't exercised yet, but usually burn 140 when I do
    Both yesterday and today, but it hasn't happened any other times in the past month.

It won't hurt you to be under for a couple of days, just as it won't hurt you to go a little over every now and then. It's all about averages. Just don't let it become a habit. Your body will most likely catch up with your brain and demand food tomorrow, and if so, allow yourself to go a bit over to make up for the calories you missed out on. Perhaps tomorrow would be a good day to eat something you like but normally pass up because it's higher in calories...a burger, pizza, dessert, whatever you it is that you really love.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldnt worry about it, especially if thats not the norm. There are days your just not as hungry, and then days that you want more. Think of it as a weekly allotment of calories.

bold is great advice....it saved me the mental gymnastics of sweating this issue when I started out....now I always think of my cal goals in weekly segments
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    OP ...
    how tall are you?

Probably too aggressive of a goal ... your intake over the past couple days is less than half of your RMR (calculated at sedentary) ... long term the 1300 is too low.
  • ivy_h_c
    Options
    This really doesn't sound like you're eating enough. I'm a small female, and I normally eat around 1600, at least. Occasionally I'll end up lower, but it's really, really rare for me to go under 1200. Even if you're not technically "hungry", you should definitely eat more. However, if you're legitimately full, I would suggest drinking some calories. Try to figure out why you're eating so little. Is it because you're just not hungry, or are you really busy or stressed, or because you want to lose weight quicker? You don't have to post the answers for this, just try to figure it out, so you have an idea of how to act on this. I don't really know if my reply is making any sense, or if I'm helping at all, but I hope so. Best wishes and good luck.