Nothing is working!!

Options
So to give a bit of background, I joined Weight Watchers back in Sept. and stayed until mid-Nov. I lost about 17 pounds give or take. Then I found MP and decided to quit WW; well that didn't work.

Several weeks ago I tried Nutrisystem for 2 weeks; didn't loose a pound
Then I tried on my own; didn't loose anything
Then I joined WW last week. Initially the scale went down 4 pounds but its right back to where I was. I am carefully and faithfully following WW. I have at least 1 fruit or veggie with EVERY single meal and haven't used much fat as an additive

I am also going to the gym EVERY day, doing 40-50 minutes of cardio (treadmill or bike) and some machines (leg presses, crunches, etc).

I am very frustrated.

My food journal here isn't as accurate as my WW e-tools are, but you get a general idea of what i'm doing

Any suggestions?

Replies

• BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out too. It can be frustrating. Looking at your logs I would definitely stay away from fast food. It's all high in sodium. I know it's difficult to eat healthy when you're on the go. I find it easy to prepare food the night before. Especially toppings for salads. I've been incorporating more fish and veggie burgers in my diary too. Also, eat fresh fruit and veggies. The most important thing to do is drink water and lots of it. Don't get discouraged....You can do it!
  • wintermama13
    wintermama13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it takes a body more than 2 weeks to switch over between what you are trying. Maybe if you wait a little longer and really track everything you eat you might find that you are still getting too many calories or maybe not eating enough? I tried hard to lose weight for a while but nothing really worked until I came on here and found out I wasnt eating Enough! What a shock...eat more and lose more! Also, do you do intervals while doing cardio? That seems to kick up the burn even more than just going at the same pace for the same amount of time on the same machine. (even sounds boring to read eh?). Keep working at it and it will come! Keep up the optimism and good luck! :)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I would recheck the way you have MFP set up. What are you height, weight, age? What do you do for work or in general on a daily basis, aside from your workouts at the Gym? If you send them to me I'll run some numbers for you.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    try fitting in some walking, i am doing an hr a day as well as 30d shred dvd, and cycling a couple of times a week, have had more inch loss that weight loss:smile:
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, I would suggest cutting out the fast foods (McDonalds definitely isn't going to help you lose) and high fat junk (Hagen Das won't help either), and staying closer to your allotted calories each day (you were over several days unless the diary just isn't showing the exercise adjustment you did each day). Also, you have to give it time - weight fluctuates daily normally - plus starting an exercise routine can slow down weight loss at first until your body adjusts, repairs/builds muscle, etc... and then all of a sudden the scale will drop a 2-3 weeks later (assuming you have been eating correctly all along - like I said McDs and stuff like that will negate your hard work - even if you are within your calories each day - the body is a finely-tuned machine and it knows when it is getting junk).
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have currently tried eating slightly smaller meals; such as, 4oz lean meat, 1/2rice/cous cous or 1 cup of yam w/ spray butter, and salad w/ vinegar or spinach, for my 3rd and 4th meals.
    I eat every 3 hours and I don't eat any carbs but green veggies after 5pm. You should be able to check out my food diary. I also try to limit my dairy intake but I do allow myself one cheat meal a week, anything I want at the one sitting.
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Well, I get the impression you're easily frustrated (trying things 2 weeks at a time kind of implies that), but try to be patient. I do know the feeling of wanting to reach your goals yesterday, not three months down the road or even further. I have had excellent results using this site and respecting the recommendations as much as I can. I don't sweat it if I go over in protein or fat one day because on other days I go under, and with carbs, I nearly always go over. But I try to eat healthy foods as much as I can (although not as often as I should, as my food diary will attest), and when I drink my full 8 (or more) glasses of water and get in at least one walk every day, I get results. If I skimp on the water, I plateau.

The exercisee sounds fantastic, but also remember that you're building muscle, not just losing fat, and muscle weighs more than fat does. You will gain muscle weight at the same time you lose weight from fat at some points during your journey. That is to be expected. Just keep on keeping on, drink the water, and participate in the site (it's been quite motivating for me, at least!). You WILL see results.
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the quick replies. I have been eating fast food a lot more than normal partly because I've been so busy the past week and just broke up with my bf:(.

Yes my calories may go over my MP allotment, but I am following WW and have hit right about my 36 points daily (not going over or using my extra points either). The ice cream was actually because I was waay under that day for points and I knew ice cream would fill them up
  • capricorn144
    capricorn144 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that people who work out faithfully must be losing inches and not so much in pounds because so many people post that.

I think eventually any program works if you stick with it. ...but I certainly can appreciate your frustration.

I remember in one of my many WW adventures over the years they really stressed make sure you count the hidden calories...the extra tastes of this or bites of that that really add up.
    They were also (back in the day) big on measuring portions.
    I know they have changed but I also know with me ...portion size is the biggest slip I start to have when I go off measuring my food.

I don't know if that is an issue in your case. I do wish you great success though. Just keep sticking with what you are trying to achieve and you will get there. :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    So to give a bit of background, I joined Weight Watchers back in Sept. and stayed until mid-Nov. I lost about 17 pounds give or take. Then I found MP and decided to quit WW; well that didn't work.

Several weeks ago I tried Nutrisystem for 2 weeks; didn't loose a pound
    Then I tried on my own; didn't loose anything
    Then I joined WW last week. Initially the scale went down 4 pounds but its right back to where I was. I am carefully and faithfully following WW. I have at least 1 fruit or veggie with EVERY single meal and haven't used much fat as an additive

I am also going to the gym EVERY day, doing 40-50 minutes of cardio (treadmill or bike) and some machines (leg presses, crunches, etc).

I am very frustrated.

My food journal here isn't as accurate as my WW e-tools are, but you get a general idea of what i'm doing

Any suggestions?
    Might be sodium and have you ever had your thyroid checked? Also I would say its not a good habit to eat something just because it will fill in calories..make sure whatever you eat is still low in fat low in sodium and healthy for you...fast food can pack on a lot of weight and carried enough sodium for the month just in one meal...when you have remaining calories i would say grab a nice salad.
  • propjetprop
    propjetprop Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    A couple of things that might help you or anyone that reads this:

1. IT IS OK TO BE HUNGRY... The sooner you accept this fact the sooner you will shed the lbs. You are changing your metabolism and habits, and you body is going to fight you... you have to control this and tell yourself every second of every day that it is ok to be hungry.... Make sure you are sticking to your caloric intake to stay healthy, but accept hunger... HUNGER PANGS ARE FAT LEAVING THE BODY!

2. EAT LIKE A CAVEMAN.... what I mean by this is if caveman had access to it or could make it you CAN eat it... if cave man could not access or make it, you CAN NOT eat it.... Very simply, our bodies are designed through evolution to be hunter/gatherers... we hike 20 miles, kill an animal, eat it and repeat... So stay away from the processed foods.... ALL processed foods... If you look at the ingredients and can not understand, read or comprehend at one glance what is in it... DO NOT EAT IT..

3. When you feel hungry, start chugging water... if it is not "time" to eat and you feel hungry your body might actually be slightly dehydrated. The water will satisfly the hunger pang temporarily and along with an apple or a a small veggi snack you will make it to your next meal...

4. EAT BEFORE YOU EAT.... If you are going to be in a place that is tempting, ie: out with friends, at a party, holidays, etc. Eat cave man food before you put yourself in that situation.. Example: You are going to meet friends for a night out.. you know you will be around good food and drinks... before you leave the house chow down on a pouch of tuna, smoked salmon, bowl of soup, instant rice, etc.. something, anything, so when you sit down to dinner or are at the party you are not "Starving" and you order food that is appropriate for YOU!

5. ALWAYS HAVE FOOD WITH YOU... this might mean you have to carry a fanny pack or purse/satchel, but it works.. keep it loaded with good stuff.... dried fruit, nuts, grapes, pouch of tuna, can of chicken, etc... if you feel temped to go in the convience store while pumping gas or cruzing the airport, grab your gut to remind yourself why your are doing this and then eat the good stuff you have with you, not the crap you could buy at the kiosk.... Check out my signature picture... I am an airline pilot and I carry that bag full of good stuff that last me 4-5 days on the road!

Get mean, suck it up and get it done!
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Since you asked.....just from looking over the last wk or so of entries a couple of things come to mind:
    1. LOTS of processed foods
    2. lots of high calorie/high sugar/carb snacks

I'm not a perfect eater, but feel free to look at my diary. One thing that helped me start dropping weight is that I cut out processed foods. The amt. of junk that is in packaged stuff is AMAZING. This non-food is really not nutritious. If you HAVE to go to McDonald's, get a salad with grilled chicken and no dressing. For the same amt. of calories as a small hamburger, the nutritional content is way superior, and it will keep you more satisfied for longer.

Try plain greek yogurt for breakfast - TONS of protein, very little sugar/carbs. You can sweeten it if you like, but at least you have control over what and how much goes in.

So much of this journey is really about nutrition, not just weight loss. You CAN lose weight if you only eat x amt of twinkies/day, but you will be hungry, unenergetic, and unhealthy. Choose calories that bump your body up with nutrition, instead of just a good mouth "feel". Hope that helps a little! (also, give it time. you didn't put the weight on overnight, so it'll take time for your body to adjust to the changes you're making).
  • KrisB3
    KrisB3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I definetely agree with Bombilina. You need to cut out fast food completely. This can be hard with a busy schedule. Trust me, I know. I got to school full time, work full time and has 2 very active kids. I have managed to stay away from ALL fast food by preparing a head of time. I find that pre-cutting veggies and washing fruits and veggies the moment I get home from the grocery store works the best. That way when you plan your meals the night before you can quickly bag up the veggies and fruits for the next day. Have healthy snacks always available so that you are less likely to run through the drive thru. Even though the calories seem low on the foods, the sodium is NOT your friend. You will get it figured out and be successful! Good luck!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    as previous posters said, not all cals are created equally. .Yes, in general terms, its cals in and cals out - but definitely ditch the rotten ronnies, slim fast stuff etc. I would go for lean, organic whole foods, with lots of veggies and healthy carbs.

try some steel cut oatmeal for breakfast - this is really filling and good protein and carbs.

I didn't look at the exercise log - but many people over-estimate the cals burned. Even with HRM with a chest strap, I think they still over-calculate to some degree.

but you also need to give it time - give it a few months and stick to it. it will work

keep going
  • krissybug72
    krissybug72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am stuck at a plateau too. Maybe we can help each other. First of all, I would recommend only eating fruit at breakfast. It is very good for you, has fiber, but it is filled with natural sugar. Eat a small salad or vegetable with your lunch and dinner. I have been on WW most of my adult life, lifetime member - I hated the new program. I needed stricter guidelines. I am sorry vegetables and fruit can not be "free"...Bananas are 100 cals a piece but they are counting them as "free". I switched to MFP in March and I am now down 11. It has been slow, but slow and steady wins the race. My downfall is my wine which I know is pure sugar and my body metabolizes it differently than food. However, I am not willing to give it up...Do you exercise - if so what are you doing?? I think I need to eat a little more I was sticking to 1200 calories, but metabolic rate was 1440 - so I just changed my setting - I am hoping this will get me off this plateau...
  • snakegoddess_3
    Options
    Actually muscle and fat weight the same just as an fyi. But I would definately watch my sodium, cut out any fast food, diet soda...well if you really want to do it cut out any and all soda. That would be the first thing any doctor would tell you, even if it's diet.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    MFP will work assuming you have it set up correctly, to a 1lb weight loss for starters so your potential for success remains high, and log everything. Don't cheat yourself. Be honest and log everything, no matter how small or how embarrassing it is. Keep your food diary open for others to see (accountability). Output is a good reflection of input.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Cut your carbs to 100 grams a day and stop keeping McDonald's in business
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    After reading your diary, it seems like you've been over a lot of your days. I use both WW and here to make sure my calories stay in check so I understand the half filled out food tracker on here lol.

Have patience....stick to it. Impatience is only going to make you give up & continue with the yo-yo's.

Ok so other than patience I also recommend looking into eating mainly from the power foods list with WW to help you get away from so much processed stuff. Drink more water to flush out the sodium (rule of thumb is half of your body weight in ounces of water a day).....fast food has way more sodium that what's on some of the nutritional info here.

There is more stuff you can tweak but a little bit at a time ok? :)
  • canuck_67
    canuck_67 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There is a solution to your problem. You might not like it, however, if you want to change your weight, you have to change your lifestyle. Period. A diet is another word for FAILURE. You must change your mindset from a program that you are losing weight to a new healthy lifestyle and your body will adjust on its own. These changes take time. I know that you did not gain weight in 2 weeks, therefore, how do you expect to lose it in 2 weeks. Change you lifestyle, this means how you eat, when you eat, how much you eat, and the most important MOVE YOUR BODY. Start with a structured food program that evens your blood sugar, and allows for a sufficient healthy intake of food. This is not a short term solution, this is a change in your entire life. One step forward at a time, introduce things steady and regularly. This will work. The term "cheat" on a diet is garbage. Everything is a choice. You make it. I have never had an oreo cookie jump me in my kitchen and force it into my mouth. I choose the cookies from the supermarket, I bought them, I opened them, and I ate them. Period. I now choose to eat an apple. wasn't easy, but it was a choice I made. When I eat poorly now, my body reacts badly. That is the result of my choice. CHOOSE HEALTH. BE nice to yourself. CHOOSE TO CHANGE YOUR LIFE. I wish you the best, but it is up to you. :flowerforyou: