Can to much protein cause a headache?

Options
2»

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Just putting this out there... While you may not be purposely limiting your carbs, if you're using the same daily calorie goal but eating more protein than usual, there has to be a shift in the macro balance so either you're eating less carbs or less fats in order to get more protein in. So just maybe today you've eaten less carbs than usual and your body is responding to the decrease.

It might help if we could see your diary to browse back through a few days and see if we can spot the differences...

ETA: one more thought - seasonal allergies or weather changes? I know I had a wicked sinus headache the other day and wasn't completely sure if it was the trees budding or the high air pressure system rolling through our area - or even a combo of the two.
  • LovelyMarie774
    LovelyMarie774 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    So I looked this up on google just now, because I sometimes experience the same thing, and this thread came up. Even though it's old I'll chime in here.

I can't handle a lot of protein in a meal without a good balance of carbs, or I start getting a persistent headache that can last into the next day, which stinks. I drink a ton of water, so I know it isn't caused by dehydration. Honestly I think it's based on what I'm used to. One protein heavy meal isn't going to kick me into ketosis, so I think it's just my body getting "mad" at me for not feeding it what it usually eats. I was raised in a family that went meatless most nights, and would have salmon and potatoes with a a salad on meat nights. If I were to try eating a steak by itself... yep, giant headache.

I tried once subsisting on a 50 grams or less of carbs a day to "dry out" a bit for an event, and I felt like death since I kicked my protein up so high with barely any carbs. Ketosis is not fun, and is a very different sensation from my "protein headache" I get from eating a heavy protein meal w/o enough carbs. Maybe just dole out your carb allowances to better match when you are eating a protein heavy meal?

(I'm not a doctor, and please remember this is all anecdotal.)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    VERY old thread-headaches probably gone.