A different approach - 60lb loss without exercise

Options
AmigaMaria001
AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
edited November 2014 in Success Stories
I reached my goal! Finally...
I didn't get in a hurry because I knew I had to do something that was sustainable. It took me 9 months to lose 60lbs, but I did it! I am no longer fat! :D
I haven't done any deliberate exercise while losing weight either. I lost all the weight first and am just now starting an exercise regime during maintenance.
I know I will probably get a lot of flack about losing the weight without exercise, but hey, it worked for me.
Here are my before and after pictures.

lp9950est1dd.jpg

Replies

• HappilyRubina
    HappilyRubina Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    So how exactly did you lose weight?
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well since, exercise is not a necessity to simply losing weight, she lost it like everyone does, by eating at a calorie deficit. :) Congratulations to you!
  • AmigaMaria001
    Options
    I honestly ate whatever I wanted within a calorie deficit every day. In 9 months I had only two days when I went over the 1200 calories that MFP allotted me.
    I have tried to exercise while eating at a deficit before but I was never successful because it made me too hungry. I decided this time to lose the weight first and then exercises when I reached my goal. It worked!
  • fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I honestly ate whatever I wanted within a calorie deficit every day. In 9 months I had only two days when I went over the 1200 calories that MFP allotted me.
    I have tried to exercise while eating at a deficit before but I was never successful because it made me too hungry. I decided this time to lose the weight first and then exercises when I reached my goal. It worked!

When you exercise you burn calories which would have put you at an even bigger deficit. I don't mean to point out the obvious... but if you were getting too hungry when you exercised it's because your deficit was very high. The point of exercise is that it makes you stronger and you can eat more while maintaining your deficit.
  • jbot30
    jbot30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Worked for me too (calorie deficit only) so no flack from me! Well done (*) and good luck with the exercise regime. I'll start one soon too and hopefully we will both be amazed by our results!
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You never have to exercise to lose weight. It's just burning more calories than you consume every day. It's good that you're starting an exercise regimen now. After losing the weight, many of us do have excess skin we need to work on. I've lost 66 pounds so far and still have a ways to go. Using my exercise bike definitely helps expedite the process but it isn't mandatory. Just eat well and the weight will come off. You've proven my point quite well haha Fantastic job!

8830689.png
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    60lbs in 9 months is brilliant! Congrats, you're looking great!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If it worked for you and your happy that is all that matters.

congratulations-998.gif
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You look great and congratulations.

On the lack of exercise topic. It's really a health factor. People live longer, have more energy and less fatigue, less apt to get sick, stronger bones and less stress. Easier to maintain weight loss. Less apt to get fractures and hip injury as you get older. One of the hardest things is to get motivated to exercise. A 50% drop out rate.

If you change your mind, feel free to send me a friend request. I'm a personal trainer and wellness coach, specializing in the over 60 population.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I personally have found that losing it wasn't the hard part keeping it off was... now that it is off the real work is ahead...
  • onematch
    onematch Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congratulations on your loss!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Well I think that is great! Congrats on your accomplishment, you look super :D
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you should be proud! Exercise is not a necessity for weight loss, it is optional but it can help to achieve a certain type of physique. Some amount of cardio is good for the heart, lungs and bones while strength training during weight loss will help reduce the amount of weight loss related to the loss of lean muscle. You were probably tired during your weight loss regimen when you exercised because of the increased energy consumption that probably wasn't being replaced by extra caloric intake. Anyway, you did what worked for you, that is all that matters.
  • AmigaMaria001
    Options
    eslcity wrote: »
    I personally have found that losing it wasn't the hard part keeping it off was... now that it is off the real work is ahead...
    I SO agree with you about this~! I am seriously nervous about gaining the weight back. I am a super goal oriented person and just keeping the weight off doesn't feel like a goal - looking for those pounds down on the scale each week was a goal.
    - I will figure something out here - but I make this vow to myself and all who will listen...I WILL NOT PUT IT BACK ON!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I think what you've accomplished is fantastic, and I think your plan for maintenance is awesome :) Make exercise goals for yourself, there is such a huge variety of possible achievements that I'm sure you can find one or some that will work to motivate you.
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    great job!!
  • zombie_meg
    zombie_meg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • kelly39014
    kelly39014 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • mary659497
    mary659497 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Best of luck to you.
  • kat68mcguire
    kat68mcguire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great job! I have lost in the past with only calorie deficit (ww) and walking a few times a week. Gained most back, started exercise and BAM gained it and 30 more :( I know now that it was because I thought I was all done once I made my goal weight. Sadly, that is not the case. Exercise, for me anyway, is best AFTER I loose. This time I will know better. Calorie deficit day 2. Tough but I know the end result is golden :)
    I intend to walk and ski but not with the intent of loosing. Just to get out and enjoy nature.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!