Calories in vodka help!

Options
Hey guys, I have tried to find the calories in a vodka drink I'm drinking, called ''taboo red berry sour'' It is a fusion of vodka and red berries. It has nothing on the bottle. I looked on MFP and it says 222 in 100ml? I read vodka is quite low in calories however? I have looked on the internet and couldn't find anything either. I'm drinking 350ml of it, which is half of the 70cl bottle. Apparently it is 777 calories. Is this right? Please help.

Replies

• ethanlon
    Options
    Don't worry, since it is vodka it is good for you
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    222 for 100ml sounds about right to me. I'm thinking there might actually be a bit more calories than plain vodka due to the berry infusion.

1 oz of 80 proof (40% alcohol) vodka has 64 calories
    100ml is about 3.4oz
    64*3.4 = 218 calories
    218 * 3.5 = 763

FYI, if the proof is higher, the calories will be higher.
    90 proof has 70 cal per ounce
    100 proof has 81 cal per ounce
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Oh it's 14.9% if that helps
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I have no idea how that translates calorie-wise, I just found the facts above online. Either way, I'm pretty sure the calorie count you found is pretty close.
  • thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    The berries and "sour" probably have added calories in them if the drink is sweet at all. So yes, that would be a high caloric intake.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You are drinking half a bottle of vodka? You should probably look into that issue first before worrying about the calorie content.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    that could be right/ I have a different infused vodka that is 55 calories/1.5 oz. Are you sure there is nothing on the bottle?
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    You are drinking half a bottle of vodka? You should probably look into that issue first before worrying about the calorie content.

If I want to get drunk once in awhile, I will. I don't drink often. And I'm not a lightweight either. I'd judge you, but I'm better than that.

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has the highest concentration of calories per ml, other than fat, so nothing which is roughly 35% ABV is going to have low calorie content.
  • BonworthVonFattyPants
    Options
    80 Proof vodka is 64 calories per ounce. 350ml is 12.6 ounces. In your case ... 64 * 12.6 = 806 calories. When you say vodka is low in calories you have to remember that people mean per serving relative to other alcoholic drinks.

Compared to a single serving of beer or wine? Yeah ... lower calories (when mixed with a non-caloric drink such as diet cola).

But per-ounce it is much higher in calories than any of those drinks.
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Why?
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    I decided I'll only drink 175ml, as I really don't want to consume that many calories all at once on alcohol. Maybe another day.
  • 212ackley
    212ackley Posts: 431 Member
    Options

If I want to get drunk once in awhile, I will. I don't drink often. And I'm not a lightweight either. I'd judge you, but I'm better than that.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! Should see my calories on a bloody mary binge...LOL...
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options

My bad, I wasn't trying to judge. With alcoholism running in the family, all I saw was half a bottle of vodka. So disregard my comment.
  • alimac92
    alimac92 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I love voddy & Sprite.
    Try this site :)
    http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I like Kraken rum. XD delicious.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    that could be right/ I have a different infused vodka that is 55 calories/1.5 oz. Are you sure there is nothing on the bottle?

Unfortunately, there is nowt on the bottle, which I find very odd.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

They're not drinking half a bottle of vodka. They're drinking half a bottle of a vodka-based mixed drink. 14.9% abv - there are beers and wines higher than that. And the fact that it's a mixed drink rather than a pure spirit is also why the calories are higher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taboo_(drink)

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

If it's only once in a while then why are you worrying about it...? Don't major in the minor...
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    222 for 100ml sounds about right to me. I'm thinking there might actually be a bit more calories than plain vodka due to the berry infusion.

1 oz of 80 proof (40% alcohol) vodka has 64 calories
    100ml is about 3.4oz
    64*3.4 = 218 calories
    218 * 3.5 = 763

FYI, if the proof is higher, the calories will be higher.
    90 proof has 70 cal per ounce
    100 proof has 81 cal per ounce

This. However, some of the infused lower alcohol vodkas are actually lower calorie too. Malibu coconut rum is only 51 calories per ounce (compared to 70 or so for "regular" rum), but it's also lower alcohol, 21% (42 proof). Cruzan is another lower calorie, lower alcohol rum. The vodka you're drinking may be the same.

If in doubt, assume 70 calories/ounce or 30 mL.