Is my weight gain really muscle?

Options
O.k. I weighed myself today for the first time in a couple of months. And.... did not see numbers on the scale I was happy about. I really need advice/support. I have been working out REALLY hard since June. Like I never have before (I'm 52 yrs old)... I've been running, spinning, weight lifting, boot camping... you name it. I am not overweight on the charts, but am 10-12lbs heavier than I used to be. Anyhow... I have lost 6 inches since starting... and people are asking me if I've lost weight, but I've gained 5 lbs! seriously! Thoughts? Advice?

Replies

• thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    Yikes, I can see how that would be frustrating! I found this link below on Pinterest. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, but muscle looks ALOT better. If you are losing inches, and your jeans fit differently (more loosely), I'd say keep on keepin' on. Congrats on your progress!

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbpxovG8cG1rd0tw8o1_500.jpg
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Hi 8Analuv8. Wow you have been doing everything I am working on too. I am 46 years old and I too am trying to tip the scales. I started officially with working out over a month now. I started myfitnesspal 11/1. I have not tipped the scales yet as it appears my body is just now getting used to proper diet and exercise. My legs, butt and hips are very solid and believe it is from the exercise. I believe that yours too is from the exercise. I too am wondering how to look at the scales when gaining muscle weight and trying to stay in calorie deficit while working out. If we stay in a calorie deficit the fat/lbs have to shift the scales really soon in order to stay focused and not want to give up the exercise. How do your cloths feel? How do feel when walking around the house? I feel the extra weight, but I keep telling my self, to "keep doing what you are doing and the scale will move". THE PROOF IS IN THE MEASUREMENTS! I truly believe this! Let me know what you think.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    unlikely
  • msrn8143
    msrn8143 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    1pound is one pound whether it is muscle or fat. Muscle is more dense than fat so your body may change shape but the myth that muscle weighs more than fat is untrue. I would look at your intake versus the amount of calories you are burning. You may have your body in starvation mode where it is holding onto every calorie you put in.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I can see how that would be frustrating! I found this link below on Pinterest. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, but muscle looks ALOT better. If you are losing inches, and your jeans fit differently (more loosely), I'd say keep on keepin' on. Congrats on your progress!

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. A pound of fat is a pound of muscle is a pound of feathers. It's all a pound. Lean muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Let me add this... I have had a lot of trouble with water retention. I have to add/subtract approx. 3 - 5 lbs at weigh in if there is a lot of water/bloating. I am restricting sodium. I believe my harmones (or lack there of) is causing the scales to shift too! Just a thought since I am having this as well.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You've gained 5 lb but lost 6"? I really don't see that as a problem.

If you want to weigh less, eat at deficit.
  • thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options

Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. A pound of fat is a pound of muscle is a pound of feathers. It's all a pound. Lean muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

Well, duh....sorry for the error.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options

Aaaaaarrrrrggghhhh

• mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Most likely it is muscle. I lost over 100lbs about 2yrs ago....since then I have started heavy weight training....in this I have gained about 5-10lbs but all of my clothes still fit the exact same. Remember muscle and fat weigh the same BUT muscle takes up less space and is more compact.
  • SXMEnrico
    SXMEnrico Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    forget the scale and go by what you see in the mirror.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    If a regular girl eats at a surplus and does heavy weight training, she can probably gain about a pound and a half of muscle per year.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You only have one data point in all of five months. I can be up or down 5 Lbs day to day with natural bodyweight fluctuations. You don't have enough data to actually perform any kind of meaningful analysis.

Weigh yourself consistently...same time of day and under the same conditions for a period of time and find an average and go from there. Hell, you could weigh in tomorrow morning and be down 3 Lbs....
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Did you take your "before" weight multiple times in June? It's possible you were on the low end of a weight fluctuation in June.

Did you take your weight recently multiple times? My weight can fluctuate 5-6 lbs +/- depending on water retention, time of the month, did I eat a large dinner before bed, sodium levels, if I weight lifted recently, if I'm dehydrated, if I'm super hydrated, etc.

A 5 lb difference is noise. You cannot build muscle in a deficit, apart from newbie gains. Are you eating at a deficit? Then you're not gaining muscle. If you're not eating at a deficit, then you could be gaining some muscle.

If you want to lose weight, eat at a deficit.
  • eranganm8
    eranganm8 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

yes... but 1cubic meter of muscle is more heavier than 1cubic meter of fat.. so literary you can have 1kg fat and look fatter and 1kg muscle and look less fatter..