rabbitjb wrote: »
    zqb-11111_1z.jpg

And

Nice food scale!

• jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options
    This is an easy fix.

First, stop all those supplements you are wasting your money. All you need is a good multivitamin and fish oil.

Second, until you get the hang of estimating calories and weighing your food buy everything prepackaged.

Third, cut on a strict 500 cal deficit for two weeks. By strict I mean if your goal is 2500 cals hit 2500 cals everyday for 14 days. If you lose weight at an acceptable rate in those two weeks then keep cutting at a 500 cal deficit if you didn't lose the weight you wanted to then drop another 250 cals and repeat until you find your correct deficit. The formulas to find your BMR are not an exact science and everyone is different.

• prettigirl01
    prettigirl01 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    all im going to say is I don't weigh or measure anything and as of a few weeks ago ive been doing just fine. I was thinking about buying a food scale but decided that im not going to. I don't need to and I don't care what other people think. do what works for you, what makes you happy. ive come to realize that there are a bunch of so called know it alls on here, people who try to bring you down when youre living up to their standards. if you continue to listen to everyone who thinks that their way is the only way then you'll never get anywhere
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    all im going to say is I don't weigh or measure anything and as of a few weeks ago ive been doing just fine. I was thinking about buying a food scale but decided that im not going to. I don't need to and I don't care what other people think. do what works for you, what makes you happy. ive come to realize that there are a bunch of so called know it alls on here, people who try to bring you down when youre living up to their standards. if you continue to listen to everyone who thinks that their way is the only way then you'll never get anywhere

OP doesn't HAVE to use a food scale. Many people can get by without weighing or logging anything by just eating less, moving more. I think it's great and preferable to lose weight without a food scale. However, "do what works for you, what makes you happy" as you say, is bad advice because it is NOT working for the OP. OP is not losing weight, so the OP needs to change something.

Using a food scale is not the only way. The OP could just eat a little less every day. That's hard to quantify, though. It's speculation whether it is actually less food unless it's weighed.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Except OP is posting because he hasn't lost weight in two months. So obviously not weighing/measuring food ISN'T working for him.

OP, you are not logging accurately, so you have no idea how many calories you are eating. Some people are able to eyeball close to accurate portions, a lot of people can't. You are eating more than you think you are - you are eating too much. If you are not willing to find or create correct entries in the log, and you are not willing to measure your portions, then calorie counting will probably not work for you. Maybe you would be better off with a doctor's plan. Good luck.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I have had plateaus, yes. Very frustrating! Be sure to weigh/measure everything you eat and log every little thing, even a cup of black coffee for example. Then switch up your exercise routine in some way. If you were doing elliptical, switch to weights and stationary bike for example.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Lemme put it this way, if you are a person who doesn't have to weigh or measure, but you are still losing weight, then you're successful and you don't need to change anything. *but* if what you are doing is not working, then it makes sense to try for the greatest possible accuracy in order to achieve your goals. I'm not here to judge anyone, just to help if I possibly can.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Alright OP - just gonna say it loud and proud: quitting this style and going on a doctor referred program may give you the results you want in XX amount of weeks, BUT what happens when that program is over?

You know the saying give a man a fish he eats for today, teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime? Same rule applies here: if you have someone giving you a detailed outline of every single bite of food you're putting in your mouth for 6 - 8 weeks, of course you're going to lose, they're monitoring you like a child. What happens when that program ends? You have to learn to fend for yourself, you have to learn to feed yourself in the real world where the only person you're accountable to is yourself.

I am happy that you want to use the programs available to you, but just be careful because if they're babysitting you now to lose 10, 12, 15 lbs whatever, you're going to need to be babysat forever or the weight will just come back on.

The best results for me came when I started understanding what goes into my body and what kind of exercise my body needs. I learned for myself new eating habits, new grocery shopping habits, new ways of looking at food - I learned for myself, no one sat there and told me to have exactly one serving of this, and one of that - I did it, for me by myself every single day. To me, you need that kind of commitment and dedication; it seems like you just want to wake up skinny one day and never have to worry about losing it - it's a constant battle and you have to earn those pounds, they don't just drop for most of us.

As many have said, stop taking so many supplements! This causes your kidneys/liver to work overtime to process these things you're putting into your body when you can get MOST of them from food most of us already eat. You don't need to weigh, I don't weigh a whole lot of my food, but you need to be really conscious of what you're actually eating. Like did you really eat 1/4 of 1/2 of an avocado? Did you really eat dry quaker oats for breakfast? I couldn't do that. I think you're logging is off by a bit, and if you're going on what MFP gives you for exercise calories you need to cut 1/3 or 1/2 off of that number because MFP grossly overestimates those burns.

Overall - I don't know that a doctor recommended program is needed, maybe just a little more dedication. It seems like you need someone to tell you what to do and you don't want to figure this out for yourself, you just want someone to say eat this not that and the fat drops: it really won't work like that though.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Let's see, you had a pretty high level listed for your maintenance calories. Try eating 2000 calories. My husband weighs 315 lbs and at this stage of the game he is eating 2000 to lose at a slow and steady rate. I'm sure it will decrease as his size decreases but right now it works. I see that you are far more active than he is lol so even if you weigh nowhere near 315, eating 2000 will probably put you at a deficit so you can lose, but without starving you to death.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    No fast food. Watch your sodium. Track every bite. And move. All these things will make a difference. I've plateaued the last month. I know why - more food, less deficit can do that.
  • alienbabyjen
    alienbabyjen Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wish 3.5 slices of pizza was 588 calories. I didn't bother to read past that.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a lot of inaccuracies in your diary.

Nov 10
    -Lowfat - Whole Wheat Pancakes, 3 pancakes: Use a food scale.
    -Apple - Green - Small, 2 - Raw : That is meaningless. 2 small apples could be any size.
    -Strawberries - Raw, 4 small (1" dia): Meaningless, use a food scale.
    -Fruit - Banana (2 Fruit), 0.25 banana: Meaningless, use a food scale.
    -Pizza - Plain Cheese, 3.5 Slice: Meaningless, use a food scale.

Nov 9
    -T - Tomato Slice, 2 slice: Meaningless, use a food scale.
    -Cheese - Swiss, 1 cubic inch: Meaningless, use a food scale.
    -Romaine - Chopped Romaine, 2 cups: Meaningless, use a food scale.
    -Olives - Black, Pitted, 3 large: Meaningless, use a food scale.
    -Pizza - Plain Cheese, 3.5 Slice: Meaningless, use a food scale.
    -Spinach - Raw, 2 cup: Meaningless, use a food scale.
    -Trader Joes - Coconut Cream, 1/6 CUP: Do you have a 1/6 cup measuring cup?
    -Oatmeal Quick Oats - Great Value, 1/2 Dry Cup: Meaningless, use a food scale.

Nov 8
    -Trader Joes - French Toast, 2 slices: Unless pre-packaged, this is probably inaccurate. Does this include the syrup/toppings?
    -Homemade - Sanwich-Turkey, 1 sandwich: Did you create this entry using the recipe builder? Otherwise, it's inaccurate.

Just curious, but how do you have a half slice of pizza? If I'm having a slice of pizza, I have a slice of pizza ha ha
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Except OP is posting because he hasn't lost weight in two months. So obviously not weighing/measuring food ISN'T working for him.

OP, you are not logging accurately, so you have no idea how many calories you are eating. Some people are able to eyeball close to accurate portions, a lot of people can't. You are eating more than you think you are - you are eating too much. If you are not willing to find or create correct entries in the log, and you are not willing to measure your portions, then calorie counting will probably not work for you. Maybe you would be better off with a doctor's plan. Good luck.

This +10000. Theres nothing wrong with having acurate information. If people are losing without weighing thats fine, but its in spite of having this information. Weighing just keeps you better informed.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Blimey someone got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.

While it may work for you I would think the majority of people are not lucky enough to be able to accurately estimate, especially if they have been over eating for some time.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    jcr85 wrote: »
    This is an easy fix.

First, stop all those supplements you are wasting your money. All you need is a good multivitamin and fish oil.

Second, until you get the hang of estimating calories and weighing your food buy everything prepackaged.

Third, cut on a strict 500 cal deficit for two weeks. By strict I mean if your goal is 2500 cals hit 2500 cals everyday for 14 days. If you lose weight at an acceptable rate in those two weeks then keep cutting at a 500 cal deficit if you didn't lose the weight you wanted to then drop another 250 cals and repeat until you find your correct deficit. The formulas to find your BMR are not an exact science and everyone is different.

Or... you know, just buy everything that he's already buying and weigh it. It literally takes 5 seconds to "get the hang" of weighing food. Turn it on, put food on scale, log, eat.
  • ToddPa12
    ToddPa12 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I started back in May of this year, I was at almost 200 lbs and I chose to lose 1 1/2lbs per week with a sedentary job. I took on bicycling since I couldn't do much else for exercising with health problems. I stuck to my daily suggested calorie intake of 1800 whether I worked out or not. By September I was down 25 lbs and bicycling 10-13 miles per day 6 days per week.....I was dedicated, but I wanted to lose weight. I did have to readjust my goals several times in that period and the suggested calories have dropped to 1490 per day at an expected loss of 1lb per week with a total of 27 lbs to date loss. I haven't lost anymore weight in the past three weeks, but I haven't gained, and partly because I haven't been able to get outside to bike due to Wisconsin weather and daylight savings time messing with the light I have when I get home from work, and I have cheated a bit over these past three weeks as a test to myself how Winter will play out for me with a reduced exercise routine and possible extra food intake with the holidays.
    I would agree with everyone that the logging has to be honestly and accurately done, and food choices have to be looked at carefully. I personally removed practically all bread products from my diet and have curbed my appetite tremendously, but it can be done. Be diligent in your goals, and I hope you get on the path to where you want to end up....Good Luck!
  • dawn0293
    dawn0293 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to make serious lifestyle changes that you plan on doing for the long haul, you may as well do everything as accurately as possible. It's nearly impossible to get accurate calorie information from eyeballing food, especially when first starting out, and pre-packaged foods aren't always on target about the size/amount of the food product inside. Then there are packages that will say a tablespoon or cup per serving and show the equivalent in grams but when you weigh it out in the grams, those grams are so much less than the volume of an actual full tablespoon or cup that it's not even funny. This stuff is tricky so save yourself a headache and just weigh everything.
  • cwlsr
    cwlsr Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I will keep it short! If you are doing this program just to loss weight then you are doing it for the wrong reason. The right reason is plan and simple. Just Do It To Become Healthy. If you learn how to do that then you will eventually lose the weight you desire.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I wish 3.5 slices of pizza was 588 calories. I didn't bother to read past that.

Eh...3 slices of hungry howie's pizza with green peppers is 606 calories (large size pizza). So, if it was a medium pizza, that would be pretty close to correct. And if it were thinner crust pizza, even more so.