How does coffee affect weight loss?

Options
I'm confused...some people say coffee is healthy and has lots of antioxidants. It stimulates the body so if you drink it, then you can burn more calories. But other people say it is bad for weight loss and I don't understand why, especially if you drink a lot of water. Is coffee bad for weight loss?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Too much food is bad for weight loss. Too much of anything is probably bad for the body.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Maybe all the add on's and flavorings quantity wise. Just gotta experiment and see how it affects you. Each person and body if different.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Coffee is a good source of potassium, which is a good thing and could reduce water retention, so that would help with weight loss. Coffee has caffeine, which has been shown to benefit athletic performance. If you're using exercise as a means to lose weight, coffee will help you exercise longer, or even to get started exercising instead of crashing on the couch.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Based on my own experience, it seems to have little impact either way. I continue to drink 1-4 cups daily (less in warm months, more in colder weather). However, I have migrated from half and half to skim or 1% milk to lighten it up calorie wise. Lost 50 pounds while drinking it.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I don't know if coffee has much to do with weight loss. I do know that when I have caffeine I get a little shaky, anxious and cranky.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It can replace food if it suppresses your appetite.

It can make you "go" and when you get on the scale you are SKINNY! No j/k lol that's not one.

You can time your workouts for when you have the energy coffee gave you.

OR.....................

It can be overloaded with double venti calories and put ON the pounds.

It can get overdone and you don't eat enough when you are downing coffee for work/study all the time and unaware you should be hungry by now.. and this is counterproductive to weight loss if you eat too few cals for too long a time. Search (THERMOGENESIS) on here for an article by a guy named Evgeniyiouxhsl. or something like that. ;)

It can be taken too late in the day, interfere with your sleep which can lead to sluggish workouts or just too tireds the next day to even get yourself on that treadmill/whatnot.

Like almost any food, coffee can be okay for you in moderation or a hindrance if you eat too much.

So it's neutral and just depends how you use it.

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    zachbonner wrote: »
    it doesn't

^ this is the simple answer of what I just said.

In and of itself, it does not affect weight loss or gain. It's not a magical thing. Like raspberry ketones or green tea or garcianaia gajoboboa.

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I'm on a roll today.^
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    The question was about coffee, not whatever that sugary stuff that Starbucks pushes is.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Coffee is a good source of potassium, which is a good thing and could reduce water retention, so that would help with weight loss.

Unfortunately, if you drink too much, as it's a diuretic, it can cause the body to lose potassium.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    The question was about coffee, not whatever that sugary stuff that Starbucks pushes is.

5165573.jpg
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ^^^ haha
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Unfortunately, if you drink to much, as it's a diuretic, it can cause the body to lose potassium.

Caffeine is a MILD diuretic. The increase in urination isn't so much that you are going to lose even a significant portion of the potassium you grain from coffee.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you drink to much, as it's a diuretic, it can cause the body to lose potassium.

Caffeine is a MILD diuretic. The increase in urination isn't so much that you are going to lose even a significant portion of the potassium you grain from coffee.

First, I had a typo in too that I had to fix.
    Second, I said if you had too much coffee.http://www.livestrong.com/article/519356-coffee-potassium/
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've given up so much, you can prise my coffee cup out of my cold dead hands if you're game to try.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

tumblr_m0c5cjCqqf1rqmxn7o1_500.gif

Coffee is the nectar of gods. Unless you pull a me and have 18 shots of espresso in one day you'll be fine.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

First, I had a typo in too that I had to fix.
    Second, I said if you had too much coffee.http://www.livestrong.com/article/519356-coffee-potassium/

It doesn't work that way. The more coffee you drink, the more potassium you have to lose. If the caffeine in coffee were to cause you to lose enough water to deplete electrolytes, drinking coffee would have to make you thirsty. It doesn't do that.
  • CoolBeans520
    Options
    Coffee will suppress hunger and also the caffeine will make you go to the bathroom a lot so in turn you will lose water weight.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    kbenzacar wrote: »
    I'm confused...some people say coffee is healthy and has lots of antioxidants. It stimulates the body so if you drink it, then you can burn more calories. But other people say it is bad for weight loss and I don't understand why, especially if you drink a lot of water. Is coffee bad for weight loss?

Its ability to cause you to burn more calories is roughly on par with its diuretic effect: practically nil for anyone who consumes it with any regularity. The good news with this is that you don't need to 'drink a lot of water' in addition to your coffee, as coffee counts toward your hydration needs just fine.

Depending on brew strength and method, black coffee has between 2-5 calories (roughly) per 8oz. cup, so it's not likely to impact your weight loss unless you're loading it up with extras; if you are, be sure to account for those extras in your daily totals.