Doctor's orders: Eat more sodium!!! Favorite high-sodium ideas??

Options
bms34b
bms34b Posts: 401 Member
Alright. Was at the neurologist today and apparently I've been dizzy/passing out and he told me to eat more salt and drink gatorade/powerade in place of water.

The thing is, I already thought I ate lots of salt! I never have tried to avoid it. However, I do have very low blood pressure and I am happy to try to fix that with no medication.

I've adjusted my diary settings to show sodium, and I am going to use this as a reason to track what I eat and drink more consistently.

What are your favorite high-sodium foods or drinks?

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Pickles, any jarred pepper, and cheese.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    margaritas on the rocks with salt on the rim

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Broth..
    Ramen noodles (reminiscent from college)
    Soups

I really don't like salty food in general so have lower blood pressure also. I never add salt myself to food. Most processed foods have salt and cottage cheese has a ton, but those first three items I listed I force myself to have when I feel low blood pressure symptoms. You can skip the noodles I suppose since Ramen is pretty nutritionally empty.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your electrolytes are all off. Gatorade and PowerAde are good suggestions but be careful of the large amount of calories from sugar unless that's what you need. Also, all processed foods have tons of sodium, such as canned tuna and lunchmeats.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I like a bone broth tea! I have low blood volume and was told to increase sodium too. Cottage cheese, salted nuts and seeds, avocado with salt, salted butter, everything is better with a dash of extra salt!!!!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    The first thing that comes to mind is soy sauce
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Stir fry sauce or soy sauce. I normally don't use it much at all when I cook because of the sodium in it. I also make a lasagna dish with cottage cheese in place of the ricotta traditionally used, and a 600 calorie serving has 1,100mg sodium in it. A lot of canned soups and sauces are also high in sodium. Oh... and my beloved Xplosize Pizza flavored Goldfish crackers are also very salty.

ETA: I forgot about hot sauce!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    and of course Bacon! Glad you're tracking your sodium. it will help a lot. Agree with the soy (just had sushi myself). Olives, pickles, any canned soup is loaded with sodium. Good luck!
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Soup would be a great idea especially since it's gotten colder out. Progresso soups will allow you to get more sodium while staying within your daily caloric allowance. Pickles are awesome too!
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks! These are all great ideas! :D
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Cook with soy sauce lol.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Olives. Beef jerky. V8. Canned soups. Cheese.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    All the above are great ideas. Nothing new to add here. I was going to say soups, cheese, cottage cheese, and the Asian-type sauces. Oh, and I love bacon, but haven't been able to fit it into my daily macros, but the Jenny-O Turkey bacon, believe it or not, is very yummy, but very high in sodium! (only 30 cals a slice)
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Low BP here too. When I was a kid I used to eat salt out of the salt shaker.

- Salted nuts. (I have 1 ounce a day or less. IIFYM.)
    - Miso soup - you can get packets you mix with water. Low calorie and very salty! Helps get your fluids in too. http://www.edwardandsons.com/es_shop_miso.itml
    - Canned soups are usually full of sodium. Also full of the liquid you need.
    - Canned veggies are sodium heavy, as are canned beans.

Here's some more ideas http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/what-foods-high-sodium.php
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Jerky.

Don't forget your potassium to balance out the sodium. In general, you want to eat more potassium than sodium, so try to get 2-3x as much potassium as you eat in sodium.

Bananas are your friend.

Frankly, all natural foods have a good amount of potassium (and sodium!). Most foods don't have potassium listed on the nutritional information, but it is there!

For example: One chicken breast (about 140 g) has 583 mg of potassium and 770 mg of sodium. That's a lot, and there's nothing added to it!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested for me to eat a pickle before my workout. Live off canned food and you'll never have a problem!
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Frank's Hot Sauce!! OMG It's awesome stuff and has lots of sodium! If you use Emeril's Essence Seasoning that has lots of sodium too. These are my 2 things I love but have serious sodium in them! :o)
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Jerky all day long!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I wish someone told me to eat more sodium, I have the opposite problem :blush:

All processed foods are laden with sodium!! Lots of seasonings and sauces. Salad dressings.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    and of course Bacon! Glad you're tracking your sodium. it will help a lot. Agree with the soy (just had sushi myself). Olives, pickles, any canned soup is loaded with sodium. Good luck!

This. Always bacon.

Bacon is the answer to everything. I'm ok with this, too.

Pickles, cheese, canned broth, olives, salted nuts, and of course there's adding salt to the food on your plate.