HRM yay or nay??

Options
Simple Question....Is it really worth it to invest in a heart rate monitor??

Someone told me not to get one "You can feel it yourself its a waste" :/

Why or Why not responses please. :happy:

Replies

• LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!!!!!!! I just got mine this week and I love it. BEST INVESTMENT EVER for weight loss. :)

but that's just my opinion. :laugh:
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    best fitness tool you could possibly own
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    of course you can feel it yourself. it's your heart. Just put your fingers on your wrist.

HOWEVER, that's not the POINT. The POINT is to be able to accurately track your exercise calories. NOT just to get your heart rate/pulse. Did that person know you wanted it to count CALORIES? I'm guessing not. Get an HRM with a chest strap. That is the BEST way to estimate your calories burned during cardio. It is not accurate to be worn all day or during weight lifting, but it's the best you'll get for your cardio.

EDIT:
    I have the polar F4 and the Polar FT7, love them both.
    I recently started using the BodyMediaFit which IS designed to wear ALL day and is absolutely AWESOME. It tells your calorie burn round the clock from midnight to midnight and all you have to do is eat less than it says and you'll lose weight.
  • 1southernchick
    1southernchick Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I bought one several weeks ago and love it. I like it just to see exactly how many calories I've burned. No guessing.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    YES! w/o it you won't no how many calories you are accurately burning. Machines, MFP, online calculators will always be off!

Turns out I burn more than most of those calculations and my gym buddy always burns way less, we weight the exact same amount, and are the same height. All because my heart rate is 15 bpm slower than her's at rest and bumps 25-40 bpm higher than hers when we push ourselves.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I dont understand why someone would say not too lol I love mine, I am not a numbers person and I was totally getting my diet and exercise calories wrong and my HRM monitor rocks. Totally helps me keep every thing in check.
    I have gotten better at telling when my body is working hard or not but I couldn't imagine not having one lol
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    just got one , havent used it yet. May take my dog for a good walk this evening (if i an't make the gym). so will try it out then
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have one and I love it! It is nice to have something that accurately figures your calories burned based on your personal information. I have found that some of the figures in the MFP exercise database are way off from what I actually burn when exercising. I have a Polar FT4 and I even wear it in the pool. It is easy to use, it was cheap, and it works great. I like to be as accurate as possible when recording me calories burned when I exercise. Especially when it comes to eating back your exercise calories. Definitely a "yay"!!
  • mandyschalk
    mandyschalk Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes Ye and YES!!! Totally worth every penny!!
  • crazyquilter36
    Options
    Yes! It is so worth it. Some days when you are more tired and don't push as hard you don't burn as much. This will tell you everyday what you have burned. The calories burned on this site can be way off! Go for it and good luck with your goals =)
  • crazymama2two
    Options
    yay...definitely yay.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Make sure to get one with a chest strap as the strapless ones only check your heart rate when you touch them, which sucks when you are moving around. Mine won't even work when I get too sweaty. I am trying to sell this one locally and then buy one with a strap. They cost more, but they are much more accurate because they continuously monitor.
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY A MUST !!!! I love my polor !
  • JatieKo621
    JatieKo621 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY! I got a timex from Amazon, it is GREAT. It also helps me work out harder, I usually up my speed when walking when I see that my heart rate is lower than I want it to be.

Bottom line-they track YOUR calories, at YOUR pace, by reading YOUR heart. It just makes sense to invest in it if you are serious about wanting to know how much you burn/what zone you are in/how healthy your heart is.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    It is nice to have something that accurately figures your calories burned based on your personal information.
    I would say "more accurately" but yes I do love mine.

Then again, I'm a bit of a geek. :D

Do you need one? No. Anyone who can't afford one definitely shouldn't feel at a disadvantage.
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Options
    Why do you want one? HRM are great as a reminder to stay in your target exercise zone so that you workout harder. It can give an estimate of cals burned during exercise but not all day. You need to get a good one with programmable VO2Max and keep it updated as your fitness improves. 8 weeks ago I started using BodyBugg (similar to BodyMediaFit) so that I get an estimate of total cal burned over 24 time frame. MFP and my treadmill estimates are within 50 cal for my workouts - that's not horribly off. My surprise was thinking I have a sedentary job/life but am actually very active at work and around the home. My average daily burn counting workouts vary from 2400 to 2700... I had been at a plateau for a year and now have upped my cal intake and have started losing again.

A good HRM will cost $100... BMF or BB cost $200 for smartphone version and includes 6 month subscription for use.

I have several friends that wear both to ensure heart rate stays up during ex and to get the all day cal burn. Good luck...
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    yes!!!

personally I think whoever told you it was a waste of money/time did you a disservice. I dont trust the calorie / exercise information that MFP provides nor the info that a treadmill or other exercise equipment displays. Its a lot of guesswork and generalization.... from my experience. Others may disagree with that. BUT, for me, I know I have my HRM set up for my body and I get a more accurate number.
  • smiler1978
    Options
    I would be lost without mine - some websites grossly over estimate what you burn! this way you can be sure x:wink:
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    Yes, it's a good investment. I happy about purchasing a HRM. I use it all the time in and out of the gym. I like that if frees me from having to keep my hands on a monitor strip on the cardio machines. The last few times at the gym all the treadmills where taken. I was able to run the indoor track instead of the treadmill. I was able to track my progress during the run.