First Half Marathon! Advice?

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
So today after running 12.1 miles, I feel confident enough to register for my first half marathon.
The thing is...it's in a week and a half!
Any advice on pre run fueling, carb loading, etc? I know it's not a full marathon but....the whole process kind of intimidates me!

So far I've been running with a fuel belt (I keep mini snickers, figs, candy corn, etc on hand and fuel every few miles, as well as a bottle of diet gatorade)-today I ran with it-no problem. I assume it's ok for me to run with it for the half?

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Pasta the night before and plenty of water before and during.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]29509743.png[/url]
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Don't bother with the pasta thing the night before unless it's normally something you like to eat the night before a long run. In other words, Treat it like any other long run.

You can run with the belt, no problem. I would assume the race is going to have aid stations to hand you cups of water/gatorade or maybe even gels. Take whatever you like, but make sure you stay hydrated.

Don't worry about carb loading - the race isn't long enough to warrant that. Just go out and have a lot of fun running with other crazy people.

With a 12 mile long run under your belt, you are clearly "ready" for it - don't try to squeeze in any more training. Rest up, go for a few short runs during the week but don't try to do anything crazy. Just easy stuff.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that whatever you eat the night before is going to be trying to get out right around racetime. Keep it simple and light. Pasta is fine but don't get overboard. You don't need to carb load before a half marathon.

Tinabob777 is exactly right. Don't run the race doing anything differently than you have been doing during your training runs. A race is not the time to try new clothing, new shoes, a new type of energy block or goo.

You should not be running too much over the next week and a half. I usually keep it to 6 miles max two weeks before with the last being on Sunday before a Sunday race. I might run 3 miles on Tuesday and then take a long walk on Thursday and/or Friday but that's it. You want to be full of energy for the race, not recovering from a long run.

The night before a race get everything in one place. Your bib and timing chip, lay out your clothes and any gear you'll be using (fully charged GPS watch, etc.), hat, sunglasses, have a way to attach your bib to your clothes or race belt, spare clothes and clean up items for after the race if you won't be going straight home, a map to the start line... put it all in one place so you won't be running around at the last minute come race morning. Get a good night's sleep. Get up early enough that you'll have plenty of time to get to the race. Keep in mind that if it's a big race it'll probably be a wave start which means you may not be starting until up to a half hour after the official start time. In that case, know which corral you'll be in. Once you get there note where you need to be, check your gear bag and hit the port-a-potty line. It'll be a long line but if you gave yourself enough time you should finish in time to start with your corral.

During the race, if you take walk breaks, keep to the side of the road so faster runners can pass you easily. Look behind you and make sure you don't cut off anyone when you slow. At water stops, skip the first few people holding out cups and be sure to thank the volunteers. :) Don't try to keep up with the people around you. Run your own race at your own pace so you don't get worn out too early. Most importantly, have fun!
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice, folks. I can hardly wait. I never thought I'd see the day I was so excited to go RUN! And it's in a gorgeous area at a great time of year...weather should be pretty cool but I run best when I'm cold. YAY!
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Side note-can I use my phone? I wanted to use Strava and Spotify so I can listen to my tunes.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »
    Side note-can I use my phone? I wanted to use Strava and Spotify so I can listen to my tunes.

You need to check with the race organizers. Many races will allow it, but discourage it for safety reasons. Sometimes it's not allowed for insurance reasons.

Also, recommend only 1 earbud if you do use your phone.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't change a thing that you did for your 12 miler. Just do the same pre-run with maybe a little extra water. Don't think I'd carbo load the night before. Unless that's something you normally do before a long run, it might have an undesired effect on race day. Most importantly - have an amazing day!
  • glevinso
    edited November 2014
    Options
    USATF rules state that you *can* use headphones if you are not a professional, but they discourage it for safety reasons. Every race organizer has their own rules however, so check with them. However there should be no issue at all with, for example, wearing your phone in an arm band so you can run the Strava app.

Regardless, my personal opinion here so take it for what its worth, but by wearing headphones you are blocking out a good portion of the race experience. The people around you, the crowds cheering, etc. You miss a good portion of what it's like to be racing with others.

The safety aspect of it is this: people might be coming up behind you and announcing that they want to pass you, but if you can't hear them or are weaving around, you might have a collision. It is a big help to hear footsteps of people behind you, so you know they are passing. Also how would you feel if you are trying to get around someone, and they are wearing headphones and can't hear you coming, or even calling out that you are trying to get around them? Frustrating.

For what its worth, USA Triathlon expressly forbids it, and at least at a triathlon you will get a variable time penalty if caught.
  • SueInAz
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Happy to help! I can't wait to hear how it goes.

Definitely take your phone if you have something safe to carry it in. I have an addition to my race belt that is specifically for phones with a clear front you can manipulate the phone through. I am usually texting my "support crew" around Mile 10 to alert them that I'll be coming in for a landing in the next half hour or so but otherwise don't usually look at it. I have a GPS watch for tracking the race but I have used a running program on my phone in the past for that purpose.

In fact, in addition to my phone I put my driver's license, my debit card and a $20 bill in my race belt. You just never know.

I'd also discourage the headphones although I know quite a few people who use them. If you do decide to, definitely use in only one ear. I've always run with a buddy or two, though. We chat pretty much the whole race and along with everything else that's going on it keeps things fun. My favorite races are the Rock N Rolls. There's a band every mile, cheerleaders and theme-dressed water station volunteers at various points in between. Spectators holding funny signs ("Worst parade ever!" "Run, perfect stranger, run!") are also part of the fun.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Whatever you did for the 12mi run, do that on race day. Nothing more, nothing new. Carb loading for a half is really unnecessary, unless you're looking at a 3+hour run.

Wear your headphones if you want. Unless you're an elite, nobody is going to be looking at you. Just exercise some situational awareness and don't be an *kitten* to others. I ran about a dozen halves this year, all with headphones in both ears and some while even taking pictures, so I don't really see the big deal unless you're a klutz.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    And also regarding that sack of treats you're running with... yeah, you probably don't need all of that. It is a good security blanket, but you'd be surprised at what your body actually needs vs what you think it needs. Take it from a guy who would pop Sport Beans on 5mi runs.
  • SueInAz
    edited November 2014
    Options
    And also regarding that sack of treats you're running with... yeah, you probably don't need all of that. It is a good security blanket, but you'd be surprised at what your body actually needs vs what you think it needs. Take it from a guy who would pop Sport Beans on 5mi runs.
    5 miles? I've been known to pop a few beans on my 5Ks. Mostly it's because my mouth gets bored, though. :)

I missed the part about the fuel and Gatorade being so anxious to hand out my "It's my first race" advice. While I love candy corn, you probably don't need quite so much stuff to eat during the race. If you're comfortable doing it, then by all means, but be wary of how much you eat before the race and adding to that bulk. Too much in your stomach is going to be unpleasant.

Check out the water station intervals on the race map. I used to strap my 10 ounce bottle on my race belt but I've found for most races the water stations are more than adequate to meet my needs. Many races will have both Gatorade and water at the later stops. I usually take a half cup of each at those but sometimes if there's a lot of stations, even in the warm and dry climate here, I'll get a bit "sloshy" by the end.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    edited November 2014
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    5 miles? I've been known to pop a few beans on my 5Ks. Mostly it's because my mouth gets bored, though. :)

I missed the part about the fuel and Gatorade being so anxious to hand out my "It's my first race" advice. While I love candy corn, you probably don't need quite so much stuff to eat during the race. If you're comfortable doing it, then by all means, but be wary of how much you eat before the race and adding to that bulk. Too much in your stomach is going to be unpleasant.

Check out the water station intervals on the race map. I used to strap my 10 ounce bottle on my race belt but I've found for most races the water stations are more than adequate to meet my needs. Many races will have both Gatorade and water at the later stops. I usually take a half cup of each at those but sometimes if there's a lot of stations, even in the warm and dry climate here, I'll get a bit "sloshy" by the end.

Hey, we were all new once. In my defense, I ran 3 marathons this season on just one banana. It can be done with training ;)
  • hermann341
    Options

Hey, we were all new once. In my defense, I ran 3 marathons this season on just one banana. It can be done with training ;)

I think I can top that banana. My last marathon I only needed two Gu Chomps, and it wasn't for the energy.

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    hermann341 wrote: »

I think I can top that banana. My last marathon I only needed two Gu Chomps, and it wasn't for the energy.

Huber Heights? Howdy, neighbor.
  • hermann341
    Options

Huber Heights? Howdy, neighbor.

Well, hello there!
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I was intimidated by my first Half, but after I ran it they became my favorite race of all! Carb-loading is typically necessary for a half, unless you've been doing it prior to all of your long runs then I would keep doing it. As for being ready, if you've ran 12.1 miles, you're ready! The farthest I had ran prior to my first half was 9 miles, and like you, I signed up for it a week before it started. You got this!
  • SueInAz
    Options

How did you make the other two thirds of that banana last that long?
    You stick 'em to the front of your shoes for the extra bounce?
  • glevinso
    Options
    For "short" races like a half marathon, I will usually bring two gels along, but specifically bring the caffeinated kind. Not for energy but for the added legal performance boost from the caffeine.
  • MSeel1984
    Options

A big part of the reason I fuel during runs is not for endurance-I have type I diabetes and I fuel to avoid low blood sugar during the run. I've pretty much got it down to a science as far as keeping my blood sugar between 90-140 during the run...Especially with the extra adrenaline...I think I may have to stick to the fuel I've been doing. As much as I don't necessarily want to be eating-sometimes I have to.