Protein shakes

Options
K2405
K2405 Posts: 56 Member
Can anyone tell me if protein shakes keep you full or are they pointless? Also, is it pointless to have them on days you don't work out?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    They provide protein? That's their purpose. They will not keep you as full as eating chicken or other lean protein with more volume, but I do think they will fill me up for an hour or two. They are not really meant to be a meal replacement, so I have one each morning made with milk along with a spoonful of peanut butter. Mostly because it's easy and fast. And that's all days, not just when I workout.
  • rageginger
    rageginger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Agreed with above - the purpose is to get more protein, and they serve that purpose. I feel full for around 2 hours after just the powder and water, but I've bulked up my shakes to create a meal replacement, which then lasts a good 3 hours or so until my next meal. Your body loves protein, so regardless of whether it's a gym day or rest day, it's not pointless.
  • K2405
    K2405 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It's more for breakfast times. I'm currently following weightwatchers so after lunch and tea I usually have 4 points left for breakfast which allows me 2 weetabix with milk. I just wondered if a protein shake would keep me fuller for longer as it's a similar amount of points.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You could try some sort of slow digesting protein like casein, and mix it with some oats, or something. That's what I do in the mornings, and even without the oats I'm good until my next meal a few hours later.
  • Cajete
    Cajete Posts: 7
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You wanna stay full and curv appetite. Mix a little fat in with whatever you eat. Good fats. Oatmeal in the morning with a Teaspoon of Peanut Butter will hold you out for a bit. Eating some chicken for lunch or dinner? Add some olive oil. Fats are amazing for cutting appetite. That, on top of your protein intake- you shall be golden.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Protein in meats absorbs more slowly than protein powder. That's usually a good thing for muscle growth. However, you'll save calories gram-for-gram by getting your protein in powder form, which might be good if you're trying to restrict calories.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It depends on the shake. Sometimes I do a half scoop of protein with water before workouts or if I just want to take the edge off of a "snack" sized hunger. You know, 3am, feeling kinda food cravy but not wanting a meal.

On the other hand I use Pure Protein premade shakes sometimes as a convenient preworkout. Great, nicely filling as its 23g of protein, it also has a good heft of carbs. Or as a full on snack.

If I want an actual meal replacement I do a scoop of protein powder with a ton of fruit so that I get my vitamins. Keeps me full for hours. But I refer to these as smoothies not shakes.

Protein, the king of my EVERYTHING!