How much do people pay for gym membership?

Options

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I'm in the US.

I paid $55/mo for Lifetime Fitness and it was worth every penny.

I pay $10/mo for Planet Fitness and it isn't worth it.

I read lots of bad opinions about Planet Fitness on these boards. What's the deal? I've never been to one, so I'm really just being nosy as to why...
    Those are the only two gyms I've used.

Lifetime was beautiful. Clean, nice, well kept-up, pretty. It had all the things you'd want to do. Racquetball, basketball, rock walls, tons of cardio machines (never a wait), an indoor pool, an outdoor pool, pretty fountains, sauna. So many classes (about anything, really) and the rooms didn't smell! You could also get a massage, go tanning, have lunch and get your hair cut, if you paid extra. The staff was plentiful, nice and friendly. Many times, I'd step off a machine to get the cleaning stuff and someone would hand me a towel and say they'd clean it for me. Always plenty of towels around, rolled up and stacked pretty. The locker rooms were nice, pretty laminate (wood-look) lockers that didn't require a lock (you use your membership card), several hair dryers, a suit spinner, make-up counters, free spray deodorant, CLEAN showers...etc., etc. If you wanted it, it was there. And the staff was, again, really helpful. And if I wanted to bring a friend, they were cool with it. Two different people I brought signed up the day they went. It was really nice.

They even sent a magazine every month and let my son pay $10/month while he was in college and away most of the time.

Planet Fitness has one person at a desk who scans your card, some machines, two massage chairs (never sat in them) and a skeevy bathroom area that I simply avoid. There might be a tanning bed, I don't know. There's a funky smell, too. Free tootsie rolls and once a month, free pizza (fatten you up so you keep going?)

Lifetime is open 24/7. Planet is open 24/4.

I don't do the weight lifting and don't know the differences in the two places, but I'd bet that Lifetime's was better.
  • helenarriaza
    helenarriaza Posts: 519 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Nothing, we get free zumba / crossfit at work, plus the gym.

Also I workout at home. Gotta love my WiiFit.

Oh and Guatemala.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Over the past 10 years, I've had different kinds of memberships. I've had an $8 per month membership and loved it, and I've had more costly memberships and hated them.

Right now, I am of the opinion that you get what you pay for. I belong to the Equinox and pay $200 per month. I can attend any branch and they offer amenities like eucalyptus-scented towels (hot and cold), free razors, face and body lotion, mouthwash, etc. Their locker rooms are so posh you don't even need your own lock, you program the locker each time.

I can reserve Spin bike on their phone app 26 hours ahead of time - not just a place in the class, but a specific bike.

Lastly, they have celebrity trainers and the place is very, very well maintained.

I've been wondering about Equinox and considering trying it out when my groupons for various barre classes run out.

Honestly the Kiehl's bath products are a temptation.

So, really worth it?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    £37 a month for unlimited use, classes, and a pool. There are also trainers who will help you create a custom programme based on your goals. They also do an initial health screening, help you set goals based on this, and track your progress for you. All the trainers and desk staff are lovely as well. It's a Nuffield fitness and wellbeing centre
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I pay $20 for my Planet Fitness membership because I get a lot of use of their hydromassage beds. And for me it's worth it because all I need from it is the cardio equipment. I have a trainer that comes to me that works with me on the rest.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm in Pennsylvania. I have a Planet Fatness membership for $10 a month. Its open 24 hours and I just go in and do my thing. No classes. Just machines and weights. I see some interesting people there...

My work also has a small gym I can use for free.
  • dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US.

I read lots of bad opinions about Planet Fitness on these boards. What's the deal? I've never been to one, so I'm really just being nosy as to why...

I go to Planet Fitness because it's only 9.99 a month and it was free to join.
    They have a premium membership for $19.99 a month for tanning and use of massage beds.

They get a bad reputation because one they're not that great of a gym. Very basic equipment, tend to be overcrowded because it is so cheap, and you have to clean the equipment yourself because there is no cleaning staff there. Also they encourage people to come in by offering a free pizza night every first Monday of the month... I will tell you I've been there working out on Pizza night, the gym was packed but I was the only one working out... They literally came for the pizza and that was all...
    I would love to go back to La Fitness, but $40 a month was steep for my wallet when all I use is the treadmill and a few free weights... Plus La Fitness isn't 24 hours. But I might just rearrange my entire schedule to make La Fitness happen because It's much bigger, less crowded, and you actually work out around people who are serious about health... PF is kind of the slacker gym in my area... Plus anyone who lifts weights in a tank gets some dumb alarm sounded on them for being a "lunk"... For a gym that claims to be a "no judgment zone" that seems to be pretty judgmental.
  • jeneveg
    jeneveg Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to get subsidised gym membership through my employer so only pay £12 a month for unlimited gym, swim and classes.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Combined $84/month for 02 fitness for me and the wife. Child care included. They also pay the bill for my soap, shampoo, conditioner, hot water, and towel washing. ;)
  • kpchefai
    kpchefai Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I pay $27/month for 2 different locations. The place is clean, convenient(500 feet from my apartment) and affordable with a plethora of equipment. I switched from the Y which was $40/month.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    74 pounds per month in London. The club offers a swimming pool, tennis court and nursery (which i think you pay separately).There are reduced fares for non-peak hours. I used to pay a lot less in Central London, not sure why this one is so expensive but I don't have any other one nearby.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US.

Those are the only two gyms I've used.

Lifetime was beautiful. Clean, nice, well kept-up, pretty. It had all the things you'd want to do. Racquetball, basketball, rock walls, tons of cardio machines (never a wait), an indoor pool, an outdoor pool, pretty fountains, sauna. So many classes (about anything, really) and the rooms didn't smell! You could also get a massage, go tanning, have lunch and get your hair cut, if you paid extra. The staff was plentiful, nice and friendly. Many times, I'd step off a machine to get the cleaning stuff and someone would hand me a towel and say they'd clean it for me. Always plenty of towels around, rolled up and stacked pretty. The locker rooms were nice, pretty laminate (wood-look) lockers that didn't require a lock (you use your membership card), several hair dryers, a suit spinner, make-up counters, free spray deodorant, CLEAN showers...etc., etc. If you wanted it, it was there. And the staff was, again, really helpful. And if I wanted to bring a friend, they were cool with it. Two different people I brought signed up the day they went. It was really nice.

They even sent a magazine every month and let my son pay $10/month while he was in college and away most of the time.

Planet Fitness has one person at a desk who scans your card, some machines, two massage chairs (never sat in them) and a skeevy bathroom area that I simply avoid. There might be a tanning bed, I don't know. There's a funky smell, too. Free tootsie rolls and once a month, free pizza (fatten you up so you keep going?)

Lifetime is open 24/7. Planet is open 24/4.

I don't do the weight lifting and don't know the differences in the two places, but I'd bet that Lifetime's was better.

Thank you for the response!
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My gym membership is $10 a month. I love it!!
  • dclem2012
    dclem2012 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Love Planet Fitness. Paid $100 for a year, no contract, no start up fee. So that comes to $8.33 a month. Ours is very clean. I actually watch them doing so. I think my workout time is their "clean up time". Well maintained. Great crew. Several of the young men have periodically helped me with my routine, though I pretty much do my own thing. It can get busy, but ours has so many machines, even doing circuit weights, I can move steadily through at my own pace. Our Planet Fitness recently updated and added new cardio machines. Open 7 days a week. I regularly use the shower areas. Well maintained.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    London £48 per month includes gym, swimming and all classes

Plus £45 a session with personal trainer

I'm investing in me :grinning:
  • Ash_danielle
    Ash_danielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US.

• Ash_danielle
    Ash_danielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Oh I'm getting robbed at 55$ a month at mine, but its only 2 miles from my house and I can run back home and get ready here. US here

Oh lucky you're so close you can walk jog there and back for your warm up and cool down! #Jelly
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    $100 a month.
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    $34/month for 24 Hour Fitness IIRC. I should really start going again.
  • 11mike
    11mike Posts: 159
    Options
    $50a month for a ymca pass that includes swimming n all the classes