Treadmill

Options
I'm thinking of getting a treadmill. I currently run about 20 miles a week and will start training for my first marathon this spring. I don't mind layering up but living in Minnesota it would be nice to also have an indoor option especially through the winter. Anyone have one that they love? I plan to have it for a long time and so I'm not as concerned on price right now. Considering all options from top of the line to more basic. I like bells and whistles and the more data I can get out of it the better.

I know there are second hand places and craigslist but I'd rather have a new one since I will be using it pretty frequently.

Replies

• ladentinger
    ladentinger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For home/light commercial use, I recommend True PS100 treadmills. Check out their website. I have had mine for years with no issues whatsoever. It's durable; carries a fantastic warranty; and can take what you give it. This is a gym quality treadmill. You will not be sorry.
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You get what you pay for. From what I've gathered, anything that's under $1,000 is unreliable (lots of plastic, underpowered/overheating motors, etc). Top of the line ones with tank treads instead of belts can run up to $12,000. I'd just take the money and invest in good quality cold weather gear. I ran in South Dakota winters, and it's not that bad once you get used to it.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    You get what you pay for. From what I've gathered, anything that's under $1,000 is unreliable (lots of plastic, underpowered/overheating motors, etc). Top of the line ones with tank treads instead of belts can run up to $12,000. I'd just take the money and invest in good quality cold weather gear. I ran in South Dakota winters, and it's not that bad once you get used to it.
    Totally this! I would so splurge on the gear and stick to the outdoors.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I like the Precor brand. I don't have one personally, but that's the brand I use most at the gym, both for a treadmill and the elliptical. They are durable. I have no idea on cost, though.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I like the StarTrac's my gym has, and I've got a ProForm Pro-2000 that has working well in my garage since August. For durability, 3.5+ horsepower on the motor, and 350 pound max weight (not that you need that much, but if can handle that kind of load it has to be sturdy). The 3.5 hp will also get you a top speed of 12 mph. I haven't gone that fast yet myself, but I'm approaching 10 mph, which is the max for 3 hp treadmills.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i run in the cold but sometime due to weather or time constraints i use my tm. its only a nordic track but i like it, id suggest checking the used adds and see what sort of deal you can find there, then research the kind you find and most importantly try it before you take it.
  • mrprytania
    mrprytania Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Consider finding a gym that goes month to month memberships for the winter. This way when the weather gets nicer you won't have something you paid $2-5K gathering dust until next winter.
  • Cyndesire
    Cyndesire Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a Nordictrack EXP1000. I bought it used. I love it and use it almost everyday. It helped me to lose 112 lbs. Easy to use and folds up.
  • BChanFit
    Options

Yup, already have the gear and run outside frequently as it is. My coldest temp was -8 last year. Anything less than that and it just isn't pretty. :) I have run through blustering snow and freezing rain. Slap on the yak trax on the icy days, baklava, long underwear, the whole nine yards... But, I'm also looking for it for convenience sake. I would be able to get my run in while I'm home with the kiddos and hubby is at hockey (which is about 4-5 times a week). I still plan to go outside as much as I can (trust me, I prefer outside as much as most of us) but there are times when it would really come in handy.

Thanks @ BZAH10 & @hermann341 - much appreciated, I will check those out!

This is the one I was looking at most recently: http://www.nordictrack.com/fitness/en/NordicTrack/Treadmills/commercial-1750-1
  • bdogrady
    bdogrady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I spent $1200 on a T3.5 Lifefitness treadmill seven years ago. Use it 3-6 days per week. Had to replace the part that changes the elevation 2 years ago but no other issues. I peaked out at 235 lbs and now at 198 (since July!). Others in my family use it; my youngest son, who is 250 lbs uses it as well.

The better machines have various settings (hill, random, heart rate monitor) and can use a heart rate monitor. I have found that this isn't an area to skip. I am in St. Louis which is hotter in the summer but not nearly as cold but for ease of workout (never have to worry about overheating in July or facing the cold in December) it is hard to beat.

hope this helps
  • BChanFit
    edited November 2014
    Options
    mrprytania wrote: »
    Consider finding a gym that goes month to month memberships for the winter. This way when the weather gets nicer you won't have something you paid $2-5K gathering dust until next winter.

Already have a membership. (I work out 5 times a week on my lunch break at the gym.) But it would be nice to just roll out of bed at 5 in the morning and jump on the 'mill for a quick jog instead of a.) bundling up b.) driving 20 minutes to the fitness center after digging the car out of 6 inches of snow (regular MN occurrence).

Have thought of my options... not looking for advice on whether or not to get a treadmill (that decision has been made :) ) just curious if anyone had advice on brands, features, etc. There's a lot of info out there and it's overwhelming.
  • BChanFit
    Options
    bdogrady wrote: »
    I spent $1200 on a T3.5 Lifefitness treadmill seven years ago. Use it 3-6 days per week. Had to replace the part that changes the elevation 2 years ago but no other issues. I peaked out at 235 lbs and now at 198 (since July!). Others in my family use it; my youngest son, who is 250 lbs uses it as well.

The better machines have various settings (hill, random, heart rate monitor) and can use a heart rate monitor. I have found that this isn't an area to skip. I am in St. Louis which is hotter in the summer but not nearly as cold but for ease of workout (never have to worry about overheating in July or facing the cold in December) it is hard to beat.

hope this helps

Very helpful! Thanks and congrats on your weight loss, that's awesome!
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Buy used, So many people spend 1000's on what ends up being a cloths hanger.... Look for deals on kijiji and make your first offers low..
  • dmoppy
    dmoppy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Consumer Reports has a write-up on treadmills. Last I checked they liked the Precor brand and I think that will be the replacement for my house - although last time I checked their electronics were pretty simplistic for what they cost. A base model is $2K USD. I would recommend trying a few if you can and see if you can tell the difference in how they feel under you. We love having a home treadmill. It's just so convenient.
  • BChanFit
    Options
    dmoppy wrote: »
    Consumer Reports has a write-up on treadmills. Last I checked they liked the Precor brand and I think that will be the replacement for my house - although last time I checked their electronics were pretty simplistic for what they cost. A base model is $2K USD. I would recommend trying a few if you can and see if you can tell the difference in how they feel under you. We love having a home treadmill. It's just so convenient.

Thanks I'll check that out!