Lets talk about juice fasting

Options
I am coming from a completely unbiased point here, and first of all I would like to clarify it is not currently something I am considering - I don't even own a juicer!

But I've been watching "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead" on Netflix

I really want to start this as a discussion so please please please keep the cliche's to yourself!! We all know its calories in<calories out. We all know you can lose weight by eating less. We all know you can become healthier by making better choices.

I really just want to know what you know about it, if you've tried it and any opinions?

PS if you are totally anti-juicing, watch the documentary there are things I personally had never considered.

Replies

• ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I would rather chew my food and retain the fiber.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Be honest - you're really looking for some confirmation bias.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,610 Member
    Options
    IF we all know it's CICO, then why would anyone validate just drinking juice to lose weight? Being in the industry for quite some time now, I'll be the first one to deter ANYONE from going on a liquid diet for a prolonged period of time (more than a week). It's not sustainable for the most part and using extremes like this aren't needed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I just watched Blow and would like opinions about becoming a cocaine dealer.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I like juice... but no. It's completely unnecessary... Juice only leaves me hangry because there is little substance... and as a hangry person I really have to control my need to stab someone.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    I would rather chew my food and retain the fiber.

This. It seems to me that juicing eliminates some of the beneficial portions of the foods involved and I enjoy eating.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    First bit of advice, let's try not to get our facts from documentaries that are meant to scare the unknowledgeable.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Obviously not been here for a while.. Forgot no one could read nor discuss.. Woops, I'll go elsewhere.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    It's not that we can't read or discuss... it's just that fasting and detoxing are unnecessary and really don't do much in the long run... that's assuming they do anything at all... and besides I agree with Hornsby... Documentaries are not exactly the best place to get unbiased information on well... anything.
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I often have a juice in the morning but it's as part of my diet as it's easier to fit in the fruits,veg that way but could not live on a juice only diet.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I can read and discuss. I enjoy eating, both the physical enjoyment of sitting down to well-prepared and tasty food and the social aspect of dining with others. Juicing would satisfy neither of those needs. I can enjoy a healthful, varied diet and get plenty of nutrition without liquifying my food.
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    It's not that we can't read or discuss... it's just that fasting and detoxing are unnecessary and really don't do much in the long run... that's assuming they do anything at all... and besides I agree with Hornsby... Documentaries are not exactly the best place to get unbiased information on well... anything.

Really fasting or detoxing is unnecessary? Wow think again. With the western diet the way it is and how much toxins are put into the body, its something to seriously consider or at least looking into. Fasting and detoxing has done wonders for many sick people. Do the research, you will see. I am not advocating that you do it yourself but don't just dismiss it because you don't understand what it does for you. Fasting has been done for thousands of years for health and spiritual reasons and it works.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    imarlett wrote: »

Really fasting or detoxing is unnecessary? Wow think again. With the western diet the way it is and how much toxins are put into the body, its something to seriously consider or at least looking into. Fasting and detoxing has done wonders for many sick people. Do the research, you will see. I am not advocating that you do it yourself but don't just dismiss it because you don't understand what it does for you. Fasting has been done for thousands of years for health and spiritual reasons and it works.

I believe that many of us have done the research, which is why we haven't embraced juicing. What toxins are you referring to? And how would liquid food get rid of these imaginary toxins any better than chewing the same food and swallowing the result? It's one thing to do a fast for religious and spiritual reasons; I have no argument with that. But to think that it does anything for your health is not supported by science.
  • PowerAJS
    PowerAJS Posts: 25 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    If you believe that juice cleanses "clean you out" or "detoxify", you just got marketed.... HARD. It's just a fancy way of saying you'll crap water for a few days.
  • hiswaywardgirl
    Options
    Never tried juice fasting. I'm not a fan of vegetable juices (ick...) and I don't like the idea of throwing out all the fiber from my vegetables just to drink the juice. The best reasoning I've heard for juicing is to give your digestive system a break (but... why?) and to lose weight on very little calories. I'm not convinced it's worth it. Why not just eat the veggies before you put them in a juicer?

I used to fast (not on juice only), but have found it better in the long run to just eat healthily. Fasting makes me literally dream of food and usually results in me binge-eating later. There are some studies that show fasting is beneficial for males, but can cause hormonal imbalances in females -- I think this was a rat study, but it still raises the question. I imagine if you're juicing fruits along with your vegetables, you're also spiking your blood sugar without protein or fat to keep it stable. Doesn't seem like a great idea in general.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I will PayPal you $10 if you can tell us the toxins that need to be eradicated.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go with calories in calories out. It's worked for me. This reminds me I'm out of Fiber One brownies. I'm going to have to fix that.
  • k8blujay2
    Options

Yes. They are completely unnecessary. There is a reason we have kidneys and a liver... And fasting for religious reasons are NOT the same as fasting because I have a few pounds to lose. And if they are to a person then their priorities are messed up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

what toxins does a cleanse get rid of that your body does not naturally detox on its own????