Marathon walking

Options
fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I am happy running up to 11 miles or so, but am doing a 26 mile walk next month and want to be able to complete it. I know fitness-wise I should be ok, but am expected to burn around 4000 cals (it is off road and hilly and takes around 7 or 8 hours) and so need to know what to take and what to expect!

Can anyone give me any tips on training and what I need to take with me?

Replies

• jojoww
    jojoww Posts: 3
    Options
    I am a half marathoner and as of yet have no desire to run a full but want to wish you luck.... I always take the gels with me and I love the jelly belly's .. I think it's because I can pretend I am actually enjoying candy. Which race are you doing?
  • adristory
    adristory Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you have enough time to train before the walk, get used to incorporating some gels, energy drinks, etc...don't change up the brand on the day of the race, especially if your tummy tends to be sensitive. If this is an organized event, you can find out what types of hydrating drinks/gels they will be providing at the stops so that you can train with those. Good luck and have fun!
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    hi - we did the moonlit marathon in manchester UK (walking marathon starting at 11pm) last year - it was AMAZING !! - what i would take is a load of of snickers bars/protein bars/ bananas / bottles of water - you need stuff that is small enough to be able to carry it, but substantial enough to fill you, you may find that you eat more than you would do normally but in my opinion during the walk is not the time to be dieting when you need the energy.

Apart from that , MP4, SPARE SOCKS, blister and normal plasters (band aids) and a lightweight waterproof jacket, this really is where layering clothes comes into play.

You will have a FANTASTIC experience we did - we were all winding round the roads with lit balloons reading all the inspiring dedications on people's backs - AMAZING (Couldnt walk getting off the train getting back in the morning though !!!! lol )

Good Luck x
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    We are doing the Clarendon Way, the old pilgrimage route between Winchester and Salisbury Cathedrals, so it should be beautiful, I am just worried about weather/blisters/food/water!
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Gosh, I wouldn't worry about the distance at all, to tell you the truth. If you're already able to run a half marathon, then you're MORE than ready to walk twice as far. My cousin and I do a walk around a Lake near her home in Wisconsin every year for the last three years and basically do no preparation at all. Of course, the first year, we did lost a lot of toenails because we didn't realize that we should buy bigger shoes! LOL
    But....it wasn't any big struggle physically, and this included walking on hills, grass, rock, gravel, asphalt, dirt, sand, the works.
    As for special foods....the first year I carried a camel back and brought protein bars and snacks, etc, and then found out that it just wasn't that much of a strain. So last year, we just did about 14 miles, stopped at a local bar for lunch and then finished the other 11 miles. ;-) Not sure how to count the cocktail in the calorie count. LOL
    Your time (7-8 hours) sounds right about what it took us (including the stop for lunch).
    I *would* suggest you have the right shoes, but then you already know that from your running experience. Last year no toenails were lost, so I consider that a win, for sure!
    So...bottom line for me, if it's going to take 7-8 hours, you're obviously not racing, and if you're not racing, it's just a marvelous day's walk....no need for special foods.

Oh yeah....dry socks ALWAYS a good idea!