How much do people pay for gym membership?

Options

Replies

• Woodspoon
    Woodspoon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    South East England here, Essex to be more accurate.
    £40 a month for unlimited use, including, athletics track, classes, spa/health suite, swimming pools and tennis courts.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I am sadly getting dropped off my family plan next month. I am the US and will be paying $42/month for a YMCA with full fitness center, lap pool, and group exercise classes included. Worth every penny.

Also a YMCA Member in the US paying $25 for pool, classes, hot tub, the works...definitely worth it! It's nice to have a number of them in town, it's handy.

and you have to clean the equipment yourself because there is no cleaning staff there.
    Cleaning staff or not, I think it's important to always wipe down your machines for yourself as well as the next person. For health reasons and simply to be considerate. :)
  • PowerAJS
    PowerAJS Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    In West Los Angeles, I pay $85 dollars/month for a higher end gym using a discount from my wife's employer. 4 floors: 1 - Yoga Room, Pilates Room, Locker Rooms, 2 - Reception, 3 - Full Weight and Machine Floor, 4 - Cardio Floor and Group Exercise Room.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    kpchefai wrote: »
    I pay $27/month for 2 different locations. The place is clean, convenient(500 feet from my apartment) and affordable with a plethora of equipment. I switched from the Y which was $40/month.
    how convenient!! :)

• beckyjopdx
    beckyjopdx Posts: 25 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    wow, that's quite a bit. do they have part time options?

I use the 24 hour fitness chain and pay $80 for 2. no restrictions on locations/times. there are pools in most of them, all anything else you could ask for; daycare is separate, but don't use it - we just take turns going instead.

we're in Portland, OR but travel to Denver, Bay Area, Seattle, NYC, etc regularly for work, so the big national chain is handy.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi - quite a few of the British gyms do 'special offers' over the Christmas period - because their own members are away/not exercising so they have extra capacity. Its a great way to try one out for a very reasonable price - for example David Lloyds, Virgin, they all do a 'special' membership over Xmas. I live right beside David Lloyds Belfast but its too expensive for me to join all year round - so I take out the Xmas membership to see me through the really dark days of winter, and they also usually do a 'special' in the height of summer due to members being away on holidays so I get to use their outdoor pool in July. In between times I walk, cycle etc for free.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    And as someone else mentioned, Groupon/LivingSocial/Treatticket are good ways to buy individual day passes so you can try out a few places. Each gym has its own distinct 'vibe' - some are clearly majoring on the social side whilst others take the fitness aspect really seriously.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    $100 a month.

Dang woman! They give free massages? laughs
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I'm in the US.

I paid $55/mo for Lifetime Fitness and it was worth every penny.

I pay $10/mo for Planet Fitness and it isn't worth it.

I read lots of bad opinions about Planet Fitness on these boards. What's the deal? I've never been to one, so I'm really just being nosy as to why...

I think I must just be lucky that every PF I've been to has been awesome. I'm always hearing bad things but never experiencing them and I've been to three different locations in two states over the last year. People complain about the free pizza there but not about deli and smoothie bars at other gyms that can have just as many calories as a slice of pizza. Personally I like paying $10 a month for a 24/7 gym that has free food that I can fit into my macros if I want it. 87 lbs down so far, the pizza hasn't held me back lol.

TL;DR for the OP: Planet Fitness in the states, $10

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Local college charges $30/mo for singles & $50/mo for families to use their facilities. (Or you can pay $5 per visit.) They offer a weight room, cardio room, pool, rock wall, plus racquetball, tennis, and basketball courts. No track, but you can do laps around the field house.
  • TheProudDadLife
    TheProudDadLife Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    9.99 at my back gym 29.99 at my home gym
  • goldmay
    goldmay Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    donnat238 wrote: »
    $35 a month @ Anytime Fitness, includes classes and open 24 hrs!

I have the same fee, love Anytime Fitness. :)

I also used to pay around $20 for a Crunch membership with classes/multiple locations; and $10 one location/no classes, but I switched because it was too crowded and not as clean.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    $90 a month for a family membership. Not cheap, but it's close by and has what I need including classes, pool, and lots of kid classes/sports/camps.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US.

I read lots of bad opinions about Planet Fitness on these boards. What's the deal? I've never been to one, so I'm really just being nosy as to why...

I think I must just be lucky that every PF I've been to has been awesome. I'm always hearing bad things but never experiencing them and I've been to three different locations in two states over the last year. People complain about the free pizza there but not about deli and smoothie bars at other gyms that can have just as many calories as a slice of pizza. Personally I like paying $10 a month for a 24/7 gym that has free food that I can fit into my macros if I want it. 87 lbs down so far, the pizza hasn't held me back lol.

I'm not knocking "free food," but free pizza, that you can only get once a month? That's actually a deciding factor?

All I have to say is Planet Fitness definitely knows their niche.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US.

I'm not knocking "free food," but free pizza, that you can only get once a month? That's actually a deciding factor?

All I have to say is Planet Fitness definitely knows their niche.

Nope, deciding factors were the price and hours of operation. The pizza is just a perk. My point in bringing it up was simply due to people always bashing them for supplying the obese with "junk" food, when its not pizza that makes people fat. That's all. :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    God gyms are cheap in the US :jealous:
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    $32/month for 24 Hour Fitness Active, it's the closest 24 hour option to my home that had decent reviews. So far (all of 1 week) i've been happy with it.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Pure Gym, Stockport and Manchester - £18.99 a month for both (if they open a new branch there's usually an offer price of £9.99 or £10.99 a month for the first year). No frills chain, open 24 hours, most classes are free.

My local leisure centre in Stockport has swim only, gym only or classes only membership for about £17 a month each, or there's a combined membership for all 3 for about £36 a month. Manchester council centres are cheaper. It's worth shopping around to see what you get for your money and whether you like the atmosphere, the class timetable, the equipment available etc
  • skinnycow256
    Options
    Im looking at joining a gym and im a complete noob, so just checking the prices everyone else pays

Im in the east of England

Thanks

Daniel

I'm in the US. I have a gym membership that is Free. My health insurance pays for it. I don't use it much as I like working out at home but it's there if I need it!

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I pay $55 for my regular gym (which includes a locker)& $95 for unlimited Crossfit & Olympic lifting classes.