The 3,000-calorie Thanksgiving dinner -- myth or reality?

Options

Replies

• HadassahsMomma
    HadassahsMomma Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It really depends I think. It's pretty hard for me to get over 3,000 for an entire day and that's a binge for me.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I honestly thought I was part of the only family that made Mac and Cheese for a side on Thanksgiving. Then again, my aunt's Mac and Cheese is usually my main course. I logged what I thought I might eat for fun, and it actually came in under goal, but let's be real, when it actually gets to that day all bets are off.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    oh it is real, it is very real …I easily go for second and thirds..throw in some bread and then dessert …I probably hit about 6000 calories for the day ..

who cares anyway? it is one day out of 365 in a year...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i went back and checked my diary and mine came in at 3000 …and my logging was probably not that accurate so I am guess I was over hat …I was actually 3600 for the day when you include breakfast
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Including pre-meal nibbles, wine and sweet tea, and dessert. I can see it hitting 3000.

My big southern family goes all out for Thanksgiving. We each bring a dish or two and there are usually around 40 people for lunch. My typical thanksgiving meal includes

Apps
    Dill dip (half sour cream, half mayo plus seasoning) and pumpernickel bread
    Beer cheese dip with crackers
    Chips and salsa

Main meal
    Turkey
    Ham with Jezebel sauce
    Cornbread dressing
    Gravy
    Rolls
    Maw maw's sweet potatoes (includes so much sugar, eggs, and coconut and is topped with maraschino cherries, pineapple and pecans cooked down with sugar)
    Southern Mac and cheese
    Roasted veggies topped with goat cheese
    Green Bean casserole
    Mashed potatoes with more gravy
    Cranberry relish
    Strawberry pretzel salad

Now I usually only eat 4 or 5 bite of each thing, except the sweet potatoes. I love them and only get them once a year so I eat a lot.
    Then comes dessert.
    I'll eat at least a small piece of pumpkin and pecan pie, probably also chocolate chess pie and a bite or two of whatever else looks good.

I'll also drink sweet tea, so much sweet tea. I only allow myself to drink it with abandon on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'll have a glass or two of wine as well. Yup that could easily be 3000 calories. Of course, I won't eat a whole lot else that day. Coffee and maybe some yogurt or fruit for breakfast and then graze on leftovers in evening for dinner.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I already did 3 days straight of Canadian Thanksgiving back in October. I must have had at least 4000-6000 each day judging by the counts (I didn't log though, I also ate breakfast and lunch too). I am so jealous I think I need to celebrate again.. wahh :'(

I think 3000 seems very possible for a Thanksgiving dinner
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Mine's probably half of that, including pumpkin pie and date pudding
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Yeah but the 3000 calories they speak of are NOT all from good choices. You eat half a pound of turkey and 6 oz of ham you won't have room for much else. They mean the beer and the ballgame food, the pies, cookies, and chips and dips. Plus the turkey, stuffing, we don't do a ham too, and the cranberries and the mashed potatoes...oh definitely easily 3000+.
  • terraacox
    terraacox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah, booze has a lot of calories and most people of age are drinking when they have to spend holidays with family, I can easily break 3k calories.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    ksolksol wrote: »
    Every year about this time a diet industry group puts out a dire warning that we're all going to eat 3,000 calories (average, anyway) on Thanksgiving dinner alone (not counting snacks and other meals) and the media laps it up unquestioningly. Nowhere have I ever found how they tallied this.

For funsies, I put together what a 3,000-calorie dinner (2,965 per USDA Supertracker) might look like:

half pound turkey, dark and light meat, skin eaten
    6 ounces ham
    A full cup each mashed potatoes (made w/butter & cream cheese), dressing (with meat), corn, and green beans cooked with mushroom sauce
    1/2 cup giblet gravy
    A dinner roll with a full tablespoon of butter
    Two cups of garden salad with avocado, topped with 3 tablespoons blue cheese dressing
    A slice of cranberry sauce
    A slice of pecan pie with 2 tablespoons heavy whipped cream

Granted, it IS easy to eat a lot more on Thanksgiving than intended, but I think saying the "average" holiday meal is 3,000 calories is exaggerating a bit. I'm a pretty healthy eater, and I'd be physically ill if I tried to eat that much in one sitting.

If anyone knows how the 3,000-calorie dinner was originally calculated, I'm all ears.

1 slice of pie? LOL

RIGHT?? I have pie, pumpkin cheesecake, cookies, and wash it down with wine on Thanksgiving...

And I'll add 2500 calories of baklava too.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I think I could eat 3000 including wine and dessert.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sounds reasonable to me. Last year I logged 2200 calories for the day (the vast majority of that on one meal) and I was being careful. Back in the day I would have snacked on the appetizer tray all day long and I probably would have eaten stuff that I didn't really want just because it was there. I likely would have had double the gravy and double the bread. I don't plan to log this year but I'll be following my usual plan-- I will only eat what I truly want and I'll stop eating before I'm uncomfortably full.
  • cecewinansfan
    Options
    It's possible on just cakes, pies, and alcoholic drinks alone.
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I was around 2300 for dinner this evening in a quick meal, without any dessert or drinks. Given an hour or more to eat, now and add in the booze, my mommas fanstastic mandarin orange tapioca pudding, and the pumpkin pie w/ ice cream... don't even get me started on them taters. Let's shoot for 5000+?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Low performer.

I'm shooting for 3k in pumpkin pie and pumpkin ale.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I don't think I can eat 3000 calories in one meal. For instance, OP has both 1/2 lb. of turkey and ham on Thanksgiving. I would eat only one or the other, never both, and probably not a 1/2 lb. 1/2 lb. of turkey is a lot of turkey! I struggle to get down 4 oz. of meat at any meal. I average 1/2 cup each of potatoes and stuffing. I can't eat more than one piece of pie. Last year, I overdid and ate more like a cup of a stuffing that had meat in it. I had chest pains so awful I thought I was having a heart attack. I just don't have the capacity for that much food anymore, even on a holiday. I'd say my calories for the meal are more like 2000.
  • sarahjane135
    sarahjane135 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ksolksol wrote: »
    Every year about this time a diet industry group puts out a dire warning that we're all going to eat 3,000 calories (average, anyway) on Thanksgiving dinner alone (not counting snacks and other meals) and the media laps it up unquestioningly. Nowhere have I ever found how they tallied this.

For funsies, I put together what a 3,000-calorie dinner (2,965 per USDA Supertracker) might look like:

half pound turkey, dark and light meat, skin eaten
    6 ounces ham
    A full cup each mashed potatoes (made w/butter & cream cheese), dressing (with meat), corn, and green beans cooked with mushroom sauce
    1/2 cup giblet gravy
    A dinner roll with a full tablespoon of butter
    Two cups of garden salad with avocado, topped with 3 tablespoons blue cheese dressing
    A slice of cranberry sauce
    A slice of pecan pie with 2 tablespoons heavy whipped cream

Granted, it IS easy to eat a lot more on Thanksgiving than intended, but I think saying the "average" holiday meal is 3,000 calories is exaggerating a bit. I'm a pretty healthy eater, and I'd be physically ill if I tried to eat that much in one sitting.

If anyone knows how the 3,000-calorie dinner was originally calculated, I'm all ears.

Can I replace the ham with more pie and the salad with some more pie? Lol seriously I can't wait.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Low performer.

I'm shooting for 3k in pumpkin pie and pumpkin ale.

Oh. No one calls me a low performer. It's on. I will eat SIX THOUSAND in pie and wine.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Went back and checked how much I ate during Thanksgiving last year: 3,483.

This made me go check mine.

Dinner cals: 761
    Thanksgiving day last year total: 1876

My diary is open to my friends if they want to see, but I ate full meals... unsure why it was so low?

But yeah, OP that meal the way you described it seemed a little excessive.

Maybe it was a typo? Maybe they meant 3,000 calories for the day?