Protein shake calories?

Options
The protein shake I am currently having is 220 calories with milk. 0.6 grams sugar per serve. Is this a high amount of calories for a shake?

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Depends.

You don't have enough information. This is what I use, base your judgement of yours off this.
    cellucor.com/products/21-whey
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    No. My normal shake has 170 caps for just the powder and then add half cup of fat free Lactaid for another 45 or if I want a cup another 90. And I usually add a banana or other fruit. My smoothies amount to much more because I usually add yogurt. You're fine. :-D
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    It depends what you put in it. When I make protein shakes, they make up my breakfast, and they're a mixture of yogurt, a little milk, protein powder, berries, a bit of maple syrup, and sometimes some coconut if I am quite hungry/know I will be exercising a lot that day. They're anywhere from 300 to 450 calories (depending on the fat content of the yogurt, mostly).

I suspect you may be referring to just protein powder in milk, though? What sort of protein powder-- what fat % is the milk? I would guess that with a lower-fat milk it could be less. Seems fine to me where it is, however-- that's a normal size for a snack. :)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    If you like it and it fits into your goals, it's perfectly fine. If it's causing you to go over your calorie target, you could try bringing down the calorie count a bit. Maybe use almond milk instead of dairy milk. But in general, I don't think 220 is too high for a protein shake.
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Mine by itself is 170 for a scoop (42 grams) and it has 2 grams of sugar. Protein is 30 grams. I guess it would depend on the nutrition you are getting from your powder. It also depends in how much milk you are using (some use 125-250 ml). .... Take care :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Lowest I've seen is around 130 for somewhere around a 40g scope but it's like chalk. 130 to 170 is pretty normal with the higher calorie shakes generally tasting better since they add fat and carbs to it.

Edit: corrected my bad math.
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals. You can make them for 150 to 170 for a snack or 250 plus
    for a meal replacement.
  • dbmata
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    If you like it and it fits into your goals, it's perfectly fine. If it's causing you to go over your calorie target, you could try bringing down the calorie count a bit. Maybe use almond milk instead of dairy milk. But in general, I don't think 220 is too high for a protein shake.

Agreed, the one I linked above is 260cal for 50g of protein.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    That's not bad at all. My shake with only water added is 120 cal. I might put milk in it, but usually I put fruit, and peanut butter, maybe oats as well, and blend it all together. My shake would come out to be over 400 calories, but I use it as breakfast, so it has to be that much.

Your TDEE is different than mine though, so you'd have to budget you're caloric intake differently.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    BillRicks1 wrote: »
    It really depends on your goals. You can make them for 150 to 170 for a snack or 250 plus
    for a meal replacement.

You can mix with PB and oatmeal to make power protein clusters or mix with yogurt and oatmeal for a good meal replacement.
  • dbmata
    Options
    wut? how?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Mine by itself is 170 for a scoop (42 grams) and it has 2 grams of sugar. Protein is 30 grams. I guess it would depend on the nutrition you are getting from your powder. It also depends in how much milk you are using (some use 125-250 ml). .... Take care :)

What protein powder is this? This is the highest calorie to protein ratio I've seen I think.
  • ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    You can mix with PB and oatmeal to make power protein clusters or mix with yogurt and oatmeal for a good meal replacement.

Please share your cluster recipe with us :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    wut? how?

Give me a moment to find the recipe it's pretty easy.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I've already eaten 1.5 chicken breasts... I'm still hungry.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2014
    Options
    wut? how?

Here are some links to get you started, they are very easy to make and require no cooking. Should take you about 10 mins to whip up a batch.

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120996191&page=1
    dailyhiit.com/hiit-blog/hiit-diet/healthy-recipes/bake-energy-protein-balls/
    steroidology.com/forum/bodybuilding-recipe-forum/610995-protein-bars-no-bake-cookie-style.html

Essentially, you can just use a bit of water, oatmeal, PB and powder. Mix together a cup of oatmeal and scoop of powder with a couple tablespoons of PB and enough water to get it to all mix. Add more PB if you like and it's very straight forward. Enjoy! B)
  • ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

What protein powder is this? This is the highest calorie to protein ratio I've seen I think.

I ordered it through my pharmacy. It is the kind my pharmacist uses and recommended to me when I enquired about protein powder. The following is a link to information online. I've used the vanilla cream. They have four flavours. FYI

It is made by Muscletech. "Whey Protein Plus Elite Series"

http://www.sixstarpro.ca/products/wheyproteinplus/

I'm not advertising the product. I'm just giving a link so you can see the info on the product. FYI
  • ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    wut? how?

Here are some links to get you started, they are very easy to make and require no cooking. Should take you about 10 mins to whip up a batch.

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=120996191&page=1
    dailyhiit.com/hiit-blog/hiit-diet/healthy-recipes/bake-energy-protein-balls/
    steroidology.com/forum/bodybuilding-recipe-forum/610995-protein-bars-no-bake-cookie-style.html

Essentially, you can just use a bit of water, oatmeal, PB and powder. Mix together a cup of oatmeal and scoop of powder with a couple tablespoons of PB and enough water to get it to all mix. Add more PB if you like and it's very straight forward. Enjoy! B)

Thank you :). It's nice to have variety for the ways we can get our protein powder into us :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I ordered it through my pharmacy. It is the kind my pharmacist uses and recommended to me when I enquired about protein powder. The following is a link to information online. I've used the vanilla cream. They have four flavours. FYI

It is made by Muscletech. "Whey Protein Plus Elite Series"

http://www.sixstarpro.ca/products/wheyproteinplus/

I'm not advertising the product. I'm just giving a link so you can see the info on the product. FYI

I was using the 6 star but switched. If you would like to know why PM me since it's a little OT but it might be of interest to you.
  • v_woolf
    v_woolf Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I don't think that's really such an unusual ratio. The protein powder I use on the daily is 114 calories/ 27.3g protein. Seems to be pretty high quality as well -- it was recommended by my powerlifting coach.

http://www.truenutrition.com/p-947-whey-protein-isolate-cold-filtration-1lb-milk.aspx