What you can't have!

Options
Are there any foods you've had to cut out completely and did that help your weightloss goals?
I'm thinking I shouldn't have sugar since it tends to become the majority of my intake for the day...

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Nope. While some foods are more calorie dense, weight loss basically comes down to CICO. One doesn't NEED to cut out what they like. They just need to learn how to limit how much of it they eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Only if you have a medical condition.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I've cut out gluten for 4.5 years, 100% unrelated to weight loss goals. Didn't affect my weight anyways. Calories in < calories out.

tumblr_m7bn65HAud1qz6kwuo1_500.gif
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out completely, I've only made choices more in line with my caloric/macro needs. I still eat ice cream several times a week, but less of a serving than I did a year ago.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    I haven't cut anything out completely, I've only made choices more in line with my caloric/macro needs. I still eat ice cream several times a week, but less of a serving than I did a year ago.
    I'm about to go make protein chocolate banana "ice cream" lol. I'm hoping it turns out edible :p
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    A whole pizza to myself :( True, with the correct amount of activity and careful topping choices (and thin crust, but that's my favorite anyway), I *could* make those calories fit. But avoiding the sodium bomb (BP issues and I'm super sensitive to bloating, boo hoo) keeps me in check. One quarter of the pizza for me from now on.

Other than that, nothing's off limits for me, as long as it's not 5 grams of sodium, lol.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I eat wut I want!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope, I still eat everything I use to, only in moderation.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, lots. I could have them, lol. No gun to my head! But I don't eat all that stuff anymore. I'm trying to eat better and lose weight, so all the yummiest foods are out.

My choices are:

1. Eat the junk, but very little. Be hungry and less healthy.
    2. Eat the better food, but not be hungry. Be more more healthy.

I choose #2. Since it's my choice and what I want, I don't feel deprived.

Once in a while, I have a treat. It's not a daily or weekly thing.

Some people can work in all the yummy food. I can't. That's life. I could "Boo-Hoo, poor me" it, but I'm so happy to be losing weight!!!! No Boo-hoos here! :grinning:
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I rarely eat bread anymore, but not because I feel as if I have to cut it out. I just LOVE good bread SO MUCH that it is hard to only eat it in moderation. Once I stop eating the stuff, it is really hard for me to stop. Because of that, I choose to simply not eat it on a regular basis, thus limiting the desire to binge on it. At first, it was hard, but now it's a habit and I rarely think about it anymore. And, it frees up those calories for other things, like cheese or greek yogurt!

52347977.png
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In the beginning I limited sweets and grains to once a week. I had little self control with them and pretty much needed to train myself to behave with them. Eventually I was able to loosen up a bit and now I can have a pastry and not spiral into sugary carb hoovering maniac.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    The only thing I can't have is the mindset that certain foods will sabotage my weight goals. All foods in moderation. :)
  • Ldbg289
    Ldbg289 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I haven't really cut out any one specific food. I'm more into portion control rather than depriving myself of a specific food. I've found if I tell myself I can't have it, I'll just want it more and that will do the opposite of what I'm trying to do. I've even learned how to control myself with a food craving that I didn't think I'd ever learn to outsmart haha. Next, I tackle my annual craving of pumpkin cheesecake. I haven't quite found a substitute that measures up to that.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out. I eat whatever sounds good, I just don't eat as much of it.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I make better choices but will never say anything is off limits. I know some of my past weight loss failures were because I restricted what I could have whether it was carbs or sugar or fried foods. It's made a huge difference in my mindset.

• tmaginparadise
    tmaginparadise Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cut out Burger King, McDonalds, Carl's Junior, Jack in the Box
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, but I admit-I don't keep it all in the house.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Nope. I eat what I want - eating a cookie as I type this! I do try to make 'healthier' choices in general, because I get to eat a larger volume of food that way. I also make food decisions based on my nutritional needs. But nothing is off limits. :)
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound positively insane...but, apples.

I can not eat an apple without bingeing afterward like an insane person.

I have NO idea why this is. I mean I can eat a dish of ice cream and not react with bingeing like I do with apples.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Not so much what I cut out but what I added in - veggies, lots of veggies, and fruits. My diet was very high before in calorie dense foods. Once I added in fruits and vegetables, it left less room for things like an entire package of cheese covered bread sticks.