How much do people pay for gym membership?

Options

Replies

• WantBestME
    WantBestME Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    India - Pink (Women's only gym :p ) - i got discounted rate $200 a year..
    - monthly fee is high..around $65
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on what kind of Gym you want to join.
    I was previously a member of The Gym Group budget gym for £10.00 per month introductory offer. This later increased to £16 per month but still super cheap. It had all the cardio machines, weights machines and 1 power rack. Mostly geared to cardio really. Also they offered limited classes but none of the branded ones like Les Mills.
    I changes membership as I mostly enjoy classes and I joined my council gym - Edinburgh Leisure. I think full membership is about £45 per month - I get a small corporate discount but still pay about £40. This works well for me as there are lots of locations throughout the city offering difference classes, facilities and gym standards. If your council has a good selection this might be worth trying.
    A friend of mine used to be a member of Virgin Active and I think this was about £60 per month. She left as she said the classes were always fully booked and she could never get a place. She felt it was a little "posey" and cliquey but that could have just been that one property.
    Anyway I rate our council facilities but I know councils vary.
    Hope you find something to suit.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I'm in Surrey, England!

I pay £55 a month, which is a lot! But its a country golf club so you workout looking over the golf course - Pretty lush!!! Best one in the area too!
  • chilledbeast
    chilledbeast Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    £50/month for couples membership for full use of gym / pool. No classes though. In Norfolk.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,689 Member
    Options
    Central London (Shoreditch). £55 monthly using a corporate discount from work. Before discovering the corporate discount I paid £65. Gold membership allowing access to multiple gyms and including towels is slightly more expensive.
  • fevdean38
    fevdean38 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    £100 for 6 months, includes small cardio area but packed with machines and free weights.
    Very knowledgeable and helpful staff.
    Bodyworks Gym in West Yorkshire
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    £35 a month includes use of the gym, pool all classes, squash and other sports things that I don't use think it's good value I do more than £35 in classes a week! Am in the south of England West Berkshire ;)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    15 bucks a month,open 24 hrs, childcare Mon-Sat.
    They only went down to 15 because Planet Fitness opened up in town. Used to be 30 a month.
  • icck
    icck Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    £10.99 a month for "The Gym" chain, South-East England.
    That includes cardio machines, weight machines, free weights, etc. A handful of classes although I haven't tried them. Nothing else, but that's all I want really! It's less than a mile from our house so I just jog there.

My other half pays £18.99 for Pure Gym and basically gets the same as I do, but the location is better for him.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    I'm in Canada and pay $30 CAD/month for a small private gym in a small town.
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I'm in the US.

I paid $55/mo for Lifetime Fitness and it was worth every penny.

I pay $10/mo for Planet Fitness and it isn't worth it.

I read lots of bad opinions about Planet Fitness on these boards. What's the deal? I've never been to one, so I'm really just being nosy as to why...

I just joined Planet Fitness. I've only been there 3 times, but it's awesome. One of the best gyms I've ever been to. It's clean. All the equipment works. Lots of cardio machines available. The staff is friendly. I simply don't see any negatives at all. Maybe not all the gyms are run as well as the one I attend. I have had memberships at several different gyms over the years. Planet Fitness (in Niles, Ohio) is the second best one I've ever seen. Pro Sports Club in Redmond WA is the best gym I've ever been to. Planet Fitness is much more affordable.
  • kur0shiro
    kur0shiro Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I paid a total of $200 (estimate!) for a year long membership here in the Philippines :) I used to go there for the treadmills but they broke down around 2 months ago. Am trying strength and circuit training now though so it's still okay.
  • Ricksta1984
    Ricksta1984 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use the two Xercise4less in Stockton £9.99 a month, cant beat it.
  • Rochester_mom
    Rochester_mom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm in the US - I pay $98 a month for a full family membership to the YMCA. It's kinda pricey but I have full access to everything including child care and with three kids everyone in the family uses the services. We get our money worth.
  • jmnicholas
    jmnicholas Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    East of England - my gym at work (no pool) is £25.54 per month, includes all classes. My husband pays about £30 at the local leisure centre, which includes the pool. Otherwise, about £5 pay per use here for classes or gym...
  • jessiemjporter
    jessiemjporter Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Its £25 for me, (student discount with Places for People (DC Leisure) or without the discount its £32 that's unlimited for gym and swim and classes too (MMA, Yoga.. etc), i live in Derbyshire.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am in Edinburgh and pay 18 pound a month unlimted gym and classes at puregym.
    price can vary on location but it is 24 hours a day
  • wesley58
    wesley58 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I pay $125 per year. It is a small gym owned by the city, and their only goal is to recover expenses. It is run by a board, and the machines are old, and sometimes not that good but is cheap and access is 24 hours a day. Although cheap, convience is the main attraction for me. I would gladly pay more for more, but this is just to convienent at the present time.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada and go to an 'all ladies' gym - had 'contracts' for years with them now I pay $28.00/month. Includes classes. No 'luxuries' here though...no pool, steam room, etc.,
    -
    I also think that government's should either subsidize gym membership dues or offer tax incentives! PREVENTION in our health systems is so important...it will save millions!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I am sadly getting dropped off my family plan next month. I am the US and will be paying $42/month for a YMCA with full fitness center, lap pool, and group exercise classes included. Worth every penny.

I second this. Worth. Every. Penny.