Lose, Don't Lose, Lose, Don't Lose!?!

Options
Just a quickie -

I lose 1lb a week then for 2 weeks nothing then lost 1lb again then nothing. I am eating 1800 calories daily and may... sorry 'DO' go over on a Saturday or Sunday but never extreme to the point where it's over maintenance. I keep getting confused as to whether I need to up my calories for a bit as I usually work out x4 a week or lower them from 1800? Don't know what I should be setting my activity level at either as I have a desk job BUT as I said I Spin, Boxfit or just gym-it 4 times a week.

I weight foods and log them. Even a slice of cheeky ham or cheese.

Arghhh..... :s

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    You should probably stop weighing your self to often. Your body has normal weight fluctuations. Some you will lose, some maintain and some gain. The bigger question is, what does your weight loss look like over the last 8 weeks?

BTW, stick with one calorie goal for 4-8 weeks before you adjust. But even if you go over, track all your calories so you can make an informed decision.
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Like this -

W1/90.7
    W2/90.6
    W3/90.6
    W4/89.9
    W5/89.9
    W6/89.9
    W7/89.8
    W8/89.8

Not sure if to lower them from 1800 to 1500 and see how it goes as I want to lose around 6lb before Christmas?
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    What's your BMR?

What's your TDEE?

How tall are you?

How much do you weigh currently?

Do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    is that in kg I assume?
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    This is what my weightloss journey looks like :

I weigh everyday. Lots of ups and downs!! But there is a downward trend and that's what matters.

fcfedc7842a166265040dd3273cbb0e17e06_thumb.jpg

Don't get impatient. If you are at a calorie deficit and eat healthy and exercise, there is no reason why you shouldn't get result long term.
  • TLB86
    Options
    Yeah Kg sorry.

What's your BMR? 1642 (IIFYM website)

What's your TDEE? 2258 (IIFYM website)

How tall are you? 5ft 6.5

How much do you weigh currently? 89.8kg / 197.9lb

Do you eat back your exercise calories? I usually work a calorie deficit that includes exercise for 3 x a week (IIFYM website)

Any help is welcome and I do appreciate it a lot
  • jenny24012014
    jenny24012014 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    for the last couple of months my weight has been up one week then down the next;

week 1 - 156
    week 2 - 152
    week 3 - 154
    week 4 - 151
    week 5 - 152
    week 6 - 148

etc. It was annoying to start but it's still going down on average so it's not really an issue.
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Well, what does your sodium intake look like? Understand that different foods are processed and affect your body differently. If your caloric in-take is high in sodium you will retain more fluids giving you the illusion you aren't losing. Then you hit the gym, push out the excess water and sodium and low and behold you lose.

I wouldn't call this a problem. And if you want to weigh yourself everyday do it. I weigh myself everyday because I want to know exactly how my body is working and what foods are problem foods for me. Etc..

1lb a week or 2lbs every 3 weeks isn't bad especially at 1800 cals for a female. I'm in maintenance now and I go between 183-189 lbs. When I hit my upper limit I cut back on cals and try to stay away from ice cream (haha I know) and when I am at my lower limit I do what I want. That's my maintenance routine. But everyone is different.

Good luck!

Mark
  • psuLemon
    Options
    TLB86 wrote: »
    Like this -

W1/90.7
    W2/90.6
    W3/90.6
    W4/89.9
    W5/89.9
    W6/89.9
    W7/89.8
    W8/89.8

Not sure if to lower them from 1800 to 1500 and see how it goes as I want to lose around 6lb before Christmas?

I know you said you splurge on the weekends, so how much do you splurge. Can you pull the last 8 weeks worth of intakes (maybe put them in an excel) and see what your overall average intake. Even though you are 1800 calories during the week, I have a feeling your weekends could be upping the average to get closer to maintenance levels.
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    So based on that, you are currently losing about 0.25 lbs/wk. At 1800 calories, in a perfect world you SHOULD be losing a little less than 1 lb/wk.

There can be several reasons for the difference, but probably the most likely are inaccurate food logging and overestimation of activity level. You are weighing your food so that is good, but depending on the database entries you choose there can also be some inaccuracies there. As for exercise, I'd suggest using a sedentary activity level and log the exercises you do - that would give you a TDEE of 1970 cal/day.

Its important to realize that all of these numbers are estimates, so the actual number isn't all that important. The key is that you have 2 months of calories in vs weight loss rate data that you can use to make an adjustment. Your body is telling you that you are at a 125 calorie/day REAL deficit. If you look at your sedentary TDEE, that is pretty on point (1970-1800 = 170). It could be that your day is SO sedentary that the gym activity doesn't really make up for it.

If you want to lose 6 lbs by Christmas, you need to get that calorie deficit up to 500 calories. I'd set you up as sedentary, start logging cardio only, and net 1470 calories a day. Give it 3 weeks and re-evaluate.

As for the fluctuations, that is totally normal. As long as the trend over time is down, you are good to go.

• TLB86
    edited November 2014
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I know you said you splurge on the weekends, so how much do you splurge. Can you pull the last 8 weeks worth of intakes (maybe put them in an excel) and see what your overall average intake. Even though you are 1800 calories during the week, I have a feeling your weekends could be upping the average to get closer to maintenance levels.

I do go over on a Sunday as I have quite large roast dinners and wine so that is one culprit! I just thought If I am doing well through the week then the odd one or two days are fine to go over. BUT it makes absolute sense that this could be averaging out to maintenance.

Thanks
  • TLB86
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    So based on that, you are currently losing about 0.25 lbs/wk. At 1800 calories, in a perfect world you SHOULD be losing a little less than 1 lb/wk.

There can be several reasons for the difference, but probably the most likely are inaccurate food logging and overestimation of activity level. You are weighing your food so that is good, but depending on the database entries you choose there can also be some inaccuracies there. As for exercise, I'd suggest using a sedentary activity level and log the exercises you do - that would give you a TDEE of 1970 cal/day.

Its important to realize that all of these numbers are estimates, so the actual number isn't all that important. The key is that you have 2 months of calories in vs weight loss rate data that you can use to make an adjustment. Your body is telling you that you are at a 125 calorie/day REAL deficit. If you look at your sedentary TDEE, that is pretty on point (1970-1800 = 170). It could be that your day is SO sedentary that the gym activity doesn't really make up for it.

If you want to lose 6 lbs by Christmas, you need to get that calorie deficit up to 500 calories. I'd set you up as sedentary, start logging cardio only, and net 1470 calories a day. Give it 3 weeks and re-evaluate.

As for the fluctuations, that is totally normal. As long as the trend over time is down, you are good to go.

So if I go with 1470 calories a day like you suggest and log exercise, how do I go about averaging them out over the week. I like to have the same amount of calories a day rather than faff all on non workout days and lots the others. Also would you say eat back workout calories?
  • GauchoMark
    edited November 2014
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I do go over on a Sunday as I have quite large roast dinners and wine so that is one culprit! I just thought If I am doing well through the week then the odd one or two days are fine to go over. BUT it makes absolute sense that this could be averaging out to maintenance.

Thanks

Yes, you can ruin an entire week's progress with one bad day or even meal sometimes. It all counts, so you can't just decide that 1 day out of 7 is a freebie. You must look at averages and totals.
  • TLB86
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Shitester!! I've been a bad girl *penny drops* I think it may be my salt intake also!

See, you have people on here having 'cheat days' and not care about salt etc but I suppose everyone is different. Close eye is being kept for a couple of weeks now. Espesh as I have my Mr's Bday in a couple of weeks, which will be a big night out.

Still unsure if I need to eat and workouts back? I might set my calories to 1570 and not eat workouts back
  • GauchoMark
    Options
    Did you log your cheat days by chance? If so, do what psulemon said and go back and look at how many calories you REALLY ate. You need to re-baseline using the cheat day intake too to see how you really did.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    You can have a planned cheat day, but what you need to do is lower your intake during the week. So possible, you could eat 1600 or even 1500 during the week, so you can exceed your saturday or sunday by 1000 calories and not worry about it affecting weight loss. Having said that, you still should look at the averages over the 4-8 week time frame so we can get a better understanding of calories in. If we know in, we know TDEE/maintenance.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Like this -

W1/90.7
    W2/90.6
    W3/90.6
    W4/89.9
    W5/89.9
    W6/89.9
    W7/89.8
    W8/89.8

If this were me, I'd lower calories a bit. You haven't lost more than 1 lb total in 8 weeks. Clearly you don't have much of a deficit.
  • TLB86
    Options
    That's kg. I have lost 3lb in 8 weeks, which is still *kitten* lol! Sorting calories out now
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Just a quickie -

I lose 1lb a week then for 2 weeks nothing then lost 1lb again then nothing. I am eating 1800 calories daily and may... sorry 'DO' go over on a Saturday or Sunday but never extreme to the point where it's over maintenance. I keep getting confused as to whether I need to up my calories for a bit as I usually work out x4 a week or lower them from 1800? Don't know what I should be setting my activity level at either as I have a desk job BUT as I said I Spin, Boxfit or just gym-it 4 times a week.

I weight foods and log them. Even a slice of cheeky ham or cheese.

Arghhh..... :s

Weight loss is not linear. What you describe sounds like natural weight fluctuations, and also perhaps that you are maintaining weight.

If you are maintaining, I suggest that you eat a bit less, not more.

Do you weigh all your food? Log even when you go over your calories? Do you research to make sure you are choosing correct entries (MFP can be off sometimes).

Do you log your exercise? If so, where do you get your calorie burns from?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Shitester!! I've been a bad girl *penny drops* I think it may be my salt intake also!

See, you have people on here having 'cheat days' and not care about salt etc but I suppose everyone is different. Close eye is being kept for a couple of weeks now. Espesh as I have my Mr's Bday in a couple of weeks, which will be a big night out.

Still unsure if I need to eat and workouts back? I might set my calories to 1570 and not eat workouts back
    If you are using the TDEE method from the IIFYM website, as you described above, you do not eat your exercise calories back.