Not seeing results, help!

Options
kballeste
kballeste Posts: 19 Member
edited November 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Okay, so I started exercising 6 days a week and eating very healthy about a month ago and I haven't seen any change, not on the scale or in the mirror. I know a month isn't that long, but I thought I would at least lose half a pound or at least lose water weight.
For reference, I am 20 years old, 5 ft tall, 129 pounds, and sedentary besides the 40 mins to an hour that I work out 6 days a week. (Should I even be listing myself as sedentary?)
MFP has me on a caloric deficit of 400 (estimated BMR is 1600), eating 1200 cals a day at least, with a projected weight loss of 0.8 pounds a week. I eat all of my exercise calories back. I do a mix of cardio and strength training so the amount of calories I burn a day are all different, but I usually burn at least 300 (sometimes 288 or something like that). I use a heart rate monitor (Polar FT4) to accurately track calories burned.
I'm usually not the type of person that's into weighing myself all the time or basing results on a number, but I find it weird that I haven't seen ANY change at all in a month.
I've been consistent with my workouts and with my eating (mostly clean, as natural as possible when it comes to packaged items), I honestly ate mostly healthy before jumping into weight loss to begin with. I've been drinking TONS of water, I rarely eat dessert, one "cheat" meal a week which I still try to keep somewhat healthy, the list goes on and on.
The one common problem I see in these threads is that lots of people don't eat enough. Is 1,200 cals too little? Should I be netting at least my BMR? I've read up on TDEE but this is all very complicated for me.
I've just been following what MFP has set up for me but I don't think it's working. Please help! :(

(Just in case you're wondering, my goal weight is around 110-115 but I mostly just want to look good no matter what I weigh. I do want to lose at least 10 pounds though! I've been following Fitness Blender workouts at home, currently on a 4 week plan for beginners)

Replies

• Nic0919
    Nic0919 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    You really don't have that much to lose, and what you are losing you're making up in muscle from the toning. Don't lose hope.
  • kballeste
    Options

Thank you so much, I think I needed to see that haha. I love working out so consistency isn't an issue but my patience definitely is. I'm also paranoid that I'm not doing things the right way, but I think I should give it more time and see what works for me!
  • kballeste
    Options
    you arent weighting and measuring your food you do not accurately know your caloric intake. You are not sedentary either. Buy a food scale, measure log, change MFP settings to lightly active.

Thank you! I've actually been weighing my food for a week now, I didn't have a food scale before. Maybe it'll start helping. Changing my settings to lightly active only upped my calories by 90, we'll see!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're doing great. Calories burned from exercise are often overestimated, so I'd eat back half instead of all.

You're very close to your goal, certainly at or close to a healthy weight. Slow progress is to be expected. Use an app like Happy Scale to track your weight. It can be hard to tell whether or not you're losing when daily fluctuations are greater than the total amount lost.

Don't give up. The added exercise is certainly benefiting you no matter what, as are the improved eating habits.
  • kballeste
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Sounds like you're doing great. Calories burned from exercise are often overestimated, so I'd eat back half instead of all.

You're very close to your goal, certainly at or close to a healthy weight. Slow progress is to be expected. Use an app like Happy Scale to track your weight. It can be hard to tell whether or not you're losing when daily fluctuations are greater than the total amount lost.

Don't give up. The added exercise is certainly benefiting you no matter what, as are the improved eating habits.

Forgot to mention that I use a heart rate monitor (Polar FT4) and it's helped so much, I DEFINITELY used to overestimate my calories. Thank you for that, that makes me feel a lot better. :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Pretty much no one is sedentary. Most people are at least lightly active even without exercise. Doing a super quick estimate on Scooby's to include your exercise in your caloric needs, 1680 is given as an estimated amount to consume to lose ~3.5lb/month. This is assuming 3-5hrs of exercise a week. I'd assume you do more than this and might be in between 3-5 adn 5-6, in which case 1780 would be a good place to start.

Food scale, daily logging, accurate logging (proper entries and no generic recipes/etc) are all important.

You might want to open up your diary so we can see if there are logging issues resulting in lack of results
  • weazley
    weazley Posts: 11 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Maybe investing in a tape measure would help? If you are building/toning but not losing any weight, you might be losing cm/inches instead?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    "Not seeing results"

Wrong. You are always seeing the results of what you actually consuming, so if the result is that you arent losing weight, it is because you are eating at a level to not lose weight.
  • kballeste
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    "Not seeing results"

Wrong. You are always seeing the results of what you actually consuming, so if the result is that you arent losing weight, it is because you are eating at a level to not lose weight.

I agree, but eating too little delays results as well so that's why I was asking if 1,200 cals a day is too little. I shouldn't be eating less than that though
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    kballeste wrote: »
    "Not seeing results"

I agree, but eating too little delays results as well so that's why I was asking if 1,200 cals a day is too little. I shouldn't be eating less than that though

No it doesnt. This is a myth.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Keep at it!!

Take measurements and photo's too!!

That scale can be an evil liar

Don't give up!!!!!!!!
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    If you were eating too little you would be losing weight.

It sounds like you are on the right track and I bet now that you have a food scale you'll start seeing more weight loss!
  • kballeste
    Options
    kballeste wrote: »
    "Not seeing results"

No it doesnt. This is a myth.

Really? That's good to know. Thank you. That's just what I've gathered through researching online, but it's so hard to tell what's real and what's myth!
  • kballeste
    Options
    penny0919 wrote: »
    If you were eating too little you would be losing weight.

It sounds like you are on the right track and I bet now that you have a food scale you'll start seeing more weight loss!

Thank you! :)
  • kballeste
    Options
    2013sk wrote: »
    Keep at it!!

Take measurements and photo's too!!

That scale can be an evil liar

Don't give up!!!!!!!!

Thank you very much!

• SpockAdventures
    SpockAdventures Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back your exercise calories, for one, and for two just have patience. Vanity weight (instead of health-based weight loss...like 30+lbs and such) is a lot harder to lose than those with weight related health issues. And yes, I agree that you could be seeing a very small weight loss but isn't showing up on the scale because your muscles are developing. Just be patient and keep looking at this whole thing as just a change in lifestyle (cause you'll need to continue the exercise and healthy food to maintain your ideal weight) and the weight will come off. Just don't forget to count every single calorie! Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Don't eat back your exercise calories, for one, and for two just have patience. Vanity weight (instead of health-based weight loss...like 30+lbs and such) is a lot harder to lose than those with weight related health issues. And yes, I agree that you could be seeing a very small weight loss but isn't showing up on the scale because your muscles are developing. Just be patient and keep looking at this whole thing as just a change in lifestyle (cause you'll need to continue the exercise and healthy food to maintain your ideal weight) and the weight will come off. Just don't forget to count every single calorie! Good luck!

If you are using the MFP formula you should eat back at least 50% of your exercise calories - if you're using a HRM probably more

If you're doing cut from TDEE then this don't eat exercise calories advice is appropriate - otherwise you can ignore it, particularly if your base level is as low as 1200 - you need to fuel workouts and avoid crash and burn