Couldn't complete the first day of C25K. :(

Options
Hi! I've been wanting to do the C25K program and today was my first day! It seemed easy enough but, once I got going, I could only complete about 14 minutes of it and I couldn't even jog the full minute. Even half an hour later, I'm coughing like a seasoned smoker and feel like I'm going to puke.

Did anyone else have these issues when starting? :( I feel really crappy that I couldn't even make it through day 1!! I'm going to keep trying and I'll repeat the first week as many times as it takes to make it through, but I'm feeling really discouraged.

Replies

• mfleeg
    mfleeg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You did 14 minutes more than yesterday! :)
  • PudgyToPrincess
    PudgyToPrincess Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    mfleeg wrote: »
    You did 14 minutes more than yesterday! :)

... That's actually pretty comforting, I didn't think of it like that, hahaha. Thank you!
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    sent you an inbox :)
  • KA___
    KA___ Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You did great, just keep repeating a particular day until you complete it then move on. Not all of us can follow as quickly as set. Thats what I did and 10 months later I'm running 8k comfortably.
    You should be proud (*)
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth... I couldn't do day 1 the first time I did c25k either. By week 9, I was able to run 3 miles.

• Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    There is something to be said about working on it until you get the first week down. It's another to be miserable because you cannot complete it, and give up. Perhaps scale yourself back even more by adjusting to what you can do. Replace some running cycles with walking.

Or even just do more daily walking for distance, not speed. Perhaps when you are running you are running too fast as well.

Lots of minor things you can do to help yourself succeed.
  • sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    don't worry about it, try again tomorrow and see if you can do 15 minutes

if you are anything like i was this is the most exercise you've done since leaving school, you're body isn't used to it and that's fine

it's hard at the beginning but you quickly start to see the rewards, in a few weeks time you'll run for a full 10 minutes without stopping and you'll look back at this thread and see just how far you have come
  • prettymrsnelson
    Options
    Don't feel discouraged! What's important is that you're trying. Although jogging/running is a simple action it's tough work. How is your pace? Are you jogging each interval at full speed? If so you're burning yourself out. Try doing your jogs at a slightly faster than speed-walking pace, then gradually increase your speed as you become more conditioned. And if you can do 14 minutes today, increase your time to 15 minutes tomorrow. Add a minute each day and before you know it you will be doing the whole workout! I've done C25K lots of times...it's one of my fave programs. Don't give up!
  • lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    My biggest advice for anyone doing C25K - slow down! When I first did it, I could probably have walked faster than I was doing the 'running' bits. Yes you might feel silly but trust me, slow down.

You should be able to carry a conversation - I used to do my ABC's to test myself to make sure I was going slow enough :smiley:

And trust the programme - its tried and tested and it really does work! Most of the challenge is actually mental - you can do it. Don't give up!
  • SpockAdventures
    SpockAdventures Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm going to keep trying and I'll repeat the first week as many times as it takes to make it through, but I'm feeling really discouraged.

Don't get discouraged! I started C25k in June - I always hated running. I struggled HARD the first week...and the second...and well, while I got better, I struggled for the first four to six weeks, but then there was a point when things started to make sense and it began to become easier, more enjoyable and now I RUN 45 minutes to an hour six days a week and I LOVE it. I hate my rest day, but I know I need it. There is NOTHING like looking back at how much I hated jogging, how BAD I was at it, and then looking at my progress now. It's a great feeling - stick to it and I promise you will get better!

And my one tip is to read every single "tips for beginning runners" articles that you can find, even if they all say the same thing. Doing this really cemented into my mind that it's okay to be slow (better for endurance actually), the most important thing is you are distributing your weight properly and to just enjoy your own company.

I hope you stick with it and can find the joy in running that I have!
  • KarissaA
    KarissaA Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it! I've gotten as far as week 6 of a C25K just a couple months ago, but just this past Monday could not complete the first day of week 1. Definitely listen to the advice to slow down, because today I went much slower and was able to finish it.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    If at first you don't succeed, try, try again!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way you did when I started exercising for the very time. I did elliptical rather than c25k which I'm doing now. Same results. I coughed for 2 days afterwards. Now I can run an entire mile without stopping and I'm still 192 lbs and only 5'3". I got the best advise ever from someone on here. With c25k:

1. Do an extra 5 minute warm up before you start the app. If you are just starting out, 5 minutes might not be enough of a warm up before you start running. (I still do this since I'm crap about stretching)

2. Go slow. My first mile that I ran, I did it at 4.7 mph. Granted, I have stumpy legs but I walk almost that fast. Work on your breathing and stamina first. Speed will come.

3. Focus on your stride. You want to feel like you are landing your strides as lightly as possible. When I started I way over strided and it gave me pains in my ankles and shins.
  • HillSlug98239
    HillSlug98239 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. Your health and fitness will improve. I haven't run for months because of plantar fasciitis, so when I start again, I'll be right back at square one. And it always takes me several weeks at the Week 3 schedule before I can move to Week 4.

It's your body; respect what it wants and needs. The time you're taking to improve your fitness is worth it!

One tip I have: after a run, I always lay on the floor close to a wall with my legs straight and my feet up on the wall. Since I started doing this, I haven't had issues with shin splints. It relaxes my back, and I can feel the fluid draining from my legs. I also stretch, and we have an inversion table, but laying on the floor works a special magic.

I switched to doing triathlons this year - I'm a cyclist, not a runner or a swimmer - and one bit of advice I love is: Whether you run a six-minute mile or a fifteen-minute mile, you've just run a mile. Give yourself some credit!
  • gymboreejunkie
    gymboreejunkie Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! When it said run... I tried to sprint. I realized to start out slow.. pace yourself. You can work on speed later after you have built up your endurance. This is an amazing program. Stick with it and you'll be so glad you did. Happy running!
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged....when I started C25k I actually WAS a seasoned smoker! lol I've since quit, but I would repeat the days that I didn't quite make it through. It took me longer than the 9 weeks to get up to a 5km, but I did. And you will too!

I don't run as much anymore as my focus has shifted to primarily lifting the last year, but I can still knock off a 5k on cardio day :) I love the sense of freedom that running gives me. You will have off days, but don't let those get you down. They make the days that you smash it that much sweeter!

Keep moving forward!
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Absolutely slow down!!!! This was a huge revelation to me with running. Unless you are pushing for a PB in a race or something, it should not be as uncomfortable as you describe - it's supposed to be enjoyable. Keep trying. You will get there.
  • Lynnmi07
    Lynnmi07 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    14min is a great start. Atleast you are trying. My one tip to beginner runners is make sure you don't start running to fast. So next time you try make sure you are truly jogging, go nice and slow, it's not a sprint!
  • Njenva
    Njenva Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You did 14 minutes. It was also very difficult for me when I started.
  • SpockAdventures
    SpockAdventures Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    1. Do an extra 5 minute warm up before you start the app. If you are just starting out, 5 minutes might not be enough of a warm up before you start running. (I still do this since I'm crap about stretching)

2. Go slow. My first mile that I ran, I did it at 4.7 mph. Granted, I have stumpy legs but I walk almost that fast. Work on your breathing and stamina first. Speed will come.

3. Focus on your stride. You want to feel like you are landing your strides as lightly as possible. When I started I way over strided and it gave me pains in my ankles and shins.

This. ESPECIALLY focusing on your stride. If you are placing your weight properly (midfoot strike, never extend your foot past your knee and let it land below your core...this is possible because you want to lean forward in accordance with your speed) your body won't hurt because that is what our bodies were made to do back when we were still beating on things with sticks.