Day 2! am I do this right?

Options
I started my LCHF diet yesterday and I think im on the right track but I need some validation from you folks. Yesterday my macro's were

C-12%
F-56%
P-32%

Today I am eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch and haven't decided on what im eating for dinner. Thinking chicken and broccoli and cheese. So far my macro's with breakfast and lunch are

C-15%
F-48%
P-37%

Am I on the right track? What can I do to improve? When did everyone start seeing results on the scale? Thanks for you positive constructive help!

Replies

• Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Seems very restrictive diet, I would suggest something easier to live with since you will be eating this way for awhile, I can help if youd like
  • ncrissey460
    ncrissey460 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Why do you say its restrictive? So far I've felt very full all day. I always drink a protein shake in the morning. Ive been doing that for over a year.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Why do you say its restrictive? So far I've felt very full all day. I always drink a protein shake in the morning. Ive been doing that for over a year.

Restrictive because you are significantly limiting an entire macronutrient. Protein shake has nothing to do with eating low-carb, though, or with being restrictive. It's one of those things where many people will likely wind up ditching the diet because they can't eat what they want. This is why I gave up "clean eating" a few years ago, adn then I gained weight because I started chowing down a lot on all the things I'd missed out on and craved.

Results on the scale have nothing to do wtih macro balance and all to do with being at a caloric deficit. At most you'll have more water weight losses, and so maintaining a low-carb diet for life would be important for limiting how muhc of that water you gain back if/when you return to "normal" eating.

Your first week, assuming your quick-add calories are reflective of actual intake, averaged out to about 2300 calories. Assuming you decided to go low carb because you didn't see any results in your first week, this is probably why. Coupled with using measuring values for solid food instead of weighing, eating out (which is fine, but probably won't be accurate for calories), maybe using incorrect entries or using generic recipes, would be cause for lack of results. But then again, one week is also cause for lack of results.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Here's my question, why are you eating almost no carbs? Carbs are not a "bad" macro. They are your body's main fuel source and are needed for optimal performance. I dropped 64 lbs eating 30-40% of my calories from carbs.

Allan
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need to consume less calories than your body burns.

It doesn't matter WHAT you eat. Its all about calories at the end of the day!

I love carbs, I need them for energy and to work out.

Ive just had a chicken tikka salad subway for lunch. Will keep me full for quite a while.

Hey if its works for you, Do it - I have done low carb before, yes I lost weight, but I lost weight because I was 'cutting out calories' ie bread, pasta, rice etc -.

Basically just eat what you want, but hit your calorie goal :wink:
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I don't get low carb unless this is your plan for the rest of your life - because as soon as you reintroduce you spring up in water weight

but it works for some I suppose, it's certainly a quick results in the early stages diet - just always wonder if it ever works long-term - I found I put it back and more in a remarkably short time whenever I did low-carb

I just calorie defecit now - and my carbs really help fuel my workouts and help me stick to eating under because I'm not cutting stuff out that I love
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with low carb, but if you don't plan on maintaining it, it may not be the best decision. But as you can tell, most people are against restricting macros unless you need to. For some, LCHF is a way to improve satiety. Generally, the groups are bit better for specific questions regarding these lifestyles.

I would ask, do you use a food scale?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
  • ncrissey460
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Restrictive because you are significantly limiting an entire macronutrient. Protein shake has nothing to do with eating low-carb, though, or with being restrictive. It's one of those things where many people will likely wind up ditching the diet because they can't eat what they want. This is why I gave up "clean eating" a few years ago, adn then I gained weight because I started chowing down a lot on all the things I'd missed out on and craved.

Results on the scale have nothing to do wtih macro balance and all to do with being at a caloric deficit. At most you'll have more water weight losses, and so maintaining a low-carb diet for life would be important for limiting how muhc of that water you gain back if/when you return to "normal" eating.

Your first week, assuming your quick-add calories are reflective of actual intake, averaged out to about 2300 calories. Assuming you decided to go low carb because you didn't see any results in your first week, this is probably why. Coupled with using measuring values for solid food instead of weighing, eating out (which is fine, but probably won't be accurate for calories), maybe using incorrect entries or using generic recipes, would be cause for lack of results. But then again, one week is also cause for lack of results.

This is def not my first week on MFP. I have been doing different things such as high protein, low fat diets off and on for the last several years. I will lose around .5-1.0 a week and then I will give up after 3 months because im not seeing the results I want and feeling restricted. Generally only losing around 15 lbs. This time I just simply reset my start date to give this LCHF diet a try. The first week i just tried to limit some of my carbs but didnt really try to do the LCHF diet to a "T" like i am doing this week. I can lose weight doing different things but ive always noticed my carbs are very high because of my drinking and then more carb loading the day after. I LOVE bread, potatoes and pasta so I thought if I would start doing LCHF that it would keep me fuller and not make me crave those things as well as start drinking wine instead of beer and jagerbombs. So far it has been working well for me.
  • ncrissey460
    Options
    terbusha wrote: »
    Here's my question, why are you eating almost no carbs? Carbs are not a "bad" macro. They are your body's main fuel source and are needed for optimal performance. I dropped 64 lbs eating 30-40% of my calories from carbs.

Allan

I am eating healthy carbs such as leafy green salads and vegetables. The carbs I am cutting out are bread, pasta, skim milk, and potatoes.
  • psuLemon
    Options

This is def not my first week on MFP. I have been doing different things such as high protein, low fat diets off and on for the last several years. I will lose around .5-1.0 a week and then I will give up after 3 months because im not seeing the results I want and feeling restricted. Generally only losing around 15 lbs. This time I just simply reset my start date to give this LCHF diet a try. The first week i just tried to limit some of my carbs but didnt really try to do the LCHF diet to a "T" like i am doing this week. I can lose weight doing different things but ive always noticed my carbs are very high because of my drinking and then more carb loading the day after. I LOVE bread, potatoes and pasta so I thought if I would start doing LCHF that it would keep me fuller and not make me crave those things as well as start drinking wine instead of beer and jagerbombs. So far it has been working well for me.

i think one of the problems you have is expectations. With only 30 lbs to lose, you should only be hoping for 1 lb per week. That is solid loss. If you are expecting more, you are setting yourself up for failure. Just keep in mind, that you didn't gain all that weight overnight, so you can't expect to lose it overnight either.

• Sued0nim
    Options

So what you're saying is Low Carb hasn't worked for you in the past because you feel restricted and yet you're trying it again

May I ask why?

Why not just try to eat at a calorie defecit - watch your portions but don't restrict anything

I can tell you it does work - without feeling too restricted
  • ncrissey460
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

i think one of the problems you have is expectations. With only 30 lbs to lose, you should only be hoping for 1 lb per week. That is solid loss. If you are expecting more, you are setting yourself up for failure. Just keep in mind, that you didn't gain all that weight overnight, so you can't expect to lose it overnight either.

30lbs is a starting goal for me, that will put me at 200lbs if I lose that. Obviously that is still not the ultimate goal as I should be around 165 for my height so I put 30lbs because that is the first goal I want to achieve.
  • ncrissey460
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

So what you're saying is Low Carb hasn't worked for you in the past because you feel restricted and yet you're trying it again

May I ask why?

Why not just try to eat at a calorie defecit - watch your portions but don't restrict anything

I can tell you it does work - without feeling too restricted

I have NEVER tried Low Carb I have always done high protein, low fat diets with still eating vegetables, bread, pasta and potatoes. I can never meet my calorie allowance without still feeling hungry and restricted at the end of the day.

• Sued0nim
    Options
    Oh I see - so now you're trying high protein, high fat, low carb

well good luck - hope it works long-term for you.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    30lbs is a starting goal for me, that will put me at 200lbs if I lose that. Obviously that is still not the ultimate goal as I should be around 165 for my height so I put 30lbs because that is the first goal I want to achieve.

Ahh ok... 15 lbs is still good for three months. And I would ask, did you log daily and did you use a food scale? If you didn't, you were probably under estimating calories in and possibly calories out.

But to get back to the original issue at hand, i would probably drop the protein shake for some eggs/bacon. Fats are really the critical item when lowering carbs.
  • ncrissey460
    Options

Ahh ok... 15 lbs is still good for three months. And I would ask, did you log daily and did you use a food scale? If you didn't, you were probably under estimating calories in and possibly calories out.

But to get back to the original issue at hand, i would probably drop the protein shake for some eggs/bacon. Fats are really the critical item when lowering carbs.

Any other ideas for breakfast that I can eat on the go? I do the shakes in the morning because im not a morning person and don't like to eat right away so I get up make my shake pop it in the freezer for a bit and then I get ready and on my way to work I drink my shake. Its easy and keeps me full.

I am googling "fat bombs" right now...
  • ncrissey460
    Options

I sense that you think im an idiot. Thank you for your help though. Right now my macros for the week are

10% Carbs
    60% Fat
    30% Protein

Which I realize are not where I want them to be,as I want them to be 5% Carbs, 80% Fat and 15% Protein but when transitioning from always eating a high protein, low fat diet I think im doing very well for my first week! Once again thank you for your constructive criticism.

• psuLemon
    Options

Any other ideas for breakfast that I can eat on the go? I do the shakes in the morning because im not a morning person and don't like to eat right away so I get up make my shake pop it in the freezer for a bit and then I get ready and on my way to work I drink my shake. Its easy and keeps me full.

I am googling "fat bombs" right now...

Check out that group that I linked up above.. they have a lot of the knowledge when it comes to LCHF diet. Also, if you don't like breakfast, you don't need to eat it. There is no advantage to eating breakfast outside of personal preference. But personally, if I didn't like breakfast as much as I do, I would just eat a larger lunch
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I sense that you think im an idiot. Thank you for your help though. Right now my macros for the week are

10% Carbs
    60% Fat
    30% Protein

Which I realize are not where I want them to be,as I want them to be 5% Carbs, 80% Fat and 15% Protein but when transitioning from always eating a high protein, low fat diet I think im doing very well for my first week! Once again thank you for your constructive criticism.

Gosh not at all...different people achieve success differently..just because it didn't work for me long term that doesn't mean anything ...I was being sincere when I wished you luck, sorry you thought otherwise
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options

Well then your LAST week came up to 2300. Which I'm guessing is no longer in a deficit for you, i mean this is my estimated maintenance needs (although just saw you are much heavier than I am, so for all I know 2300 might be a small deficit for you). You need to be more aware of your intake - no quick-add unless you are estimating something based off of other foods (e.g I have quick-added for dessert that I didn't make, but estimated it based on other entries or on other similar foods I've eaten of similar weight) or you are just entering in calories for something off of the label that isn't in the database and you're too lazy to add it (I've done this with some fruit snacks).

You said you gave up before due to not seeing results and feeling restricted. Well, low-carb is also restrictive. Why do you think you'll wind up sticking this out for life when you didn't stick out the others? Also, as I already mentioned, you averaged 2300 calories. I'm guessing that this pattern is seen throughout your entire MFP/logging history, so this explains slower losses. But 1lb/week is ideal unless one is obese, which I doubt you are. 15lbs in ~3months is a GOOD amount. I've lost 23-24lbs in like.. 5 months, a bit more.

I think you just need to stop looking for a gimmick and just stick to a proper deficit while eating foods you love. Change up macros according to how full you feel, you might find that high carb keeps you fuller that low carb keeps you fuller, but neither should be chosen because you think one method will make you lose more weight. It won't. It's all about average caloric intake. Stop going way over and way under as well, aim to meet your goal daily so you can actually know whether your intake is low/high enough to allow for a reasonable weight loss rate.