Confused, Help - Moderation or low carb?

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    eldamiano wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

So low carb coupled with high fat is just asking for trouble.
    Why?

Low carb diets are unsustainable.

Why? Seems to me it depends on the person, and what he or she finds satisfying. For me eating about 150 g carbs seems to work best, although it might change over time. I can totally see that for someone else eating, say, less than 50 grams and more fat might work, especially if carbs made that person feel less satiated.
    So if you are just eating fat and not reducing your calorie intake, then what is the point of a low carb diet?

Typically, people on low carb diets eat some carbs and of course protein, not just fat. Also, more to the point, IMO low carb diets work because they are an easier way for some people to cut calories or naturally just eat fewer calories than they otherwise would.

They are recommended only as a short term fix. Any more than taking on a low carb diet for a few weeks is bad. Why do you think that the Atkins diet has been so controversial? Carbs are not bad. The body needs them for energy.
    ....everyone, stop restricting your carbs, now, it's bad, the Dr. said so. lol

"You see, most of us require some level of carbohydrates to function at our best over the long term. Sure, we can cut carbs temporarily if we need to lose weight quickly. But for most of us, keeping carbs too low for too long can have disastrous consequences. This is especially true for those of us who work out. If you’re sedentary, your carb needs are lower. So you might be able to get away with more restriction.

In other words: Your metabolism might slow, your stress hormones go up and your muscle-building hormones go down.

Copied and pasted from http://www.precisionnutrition.com/low-carb-diets

"An earlier study has already highlighted the fact that long-term carbohydrate restriction can increase the risk of osteoporosis, with attendant risks of bone fractures, spinal collapse and nerve damage. What-is-more, although in a few studies it has been shown to improve certain cardiac risk factors, a low-carbohydrate diet limits the intake of a wide range of plant-derived chemicals, such as flavonoids, carotenoids, and antioxidants, that may help prevent heart disease, cancer, and other disorders. Rather cancelling out any claimed benefits, wouldn't you say"

Copied and pasted from http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/atkins_diet/medical_report.htm
    ----

So please tell me again what is so funny, except for how wrong you are?
    Ok, thanks for the spanking, you sure convinced me. Maybe take a look at the nutritional profiles of various vegetables before continuing with misinformation and generally talking through your hat. I have a feeling it won't matter though.

"generally talking through your hat"

Did you just completely ignore the fact that these are quotes from the professsionals, and not myself for your own self-purpose?

There wouldn't be a keto group on MFP if what you're saying is true. We'd all be dead.

There are some that have been doing it for YEARS and have great health and are very active.

Also, NO they are not recommended for short term fixes. Often people with diabetes and PCOS use low carb dieting to not only lose weight but to improve their health. There are people with diabetes that are able to reduce the need for meds through their diet. Are you saying once the diabetes are under control they should just go back to a more traditional, higher carb diet?
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Weight loss = DEFICIT FROM CALORIES..... NOT CARBS.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    You need carbs to have strenght. You can't stop eating them.

This is false. Carbs only give quick energy, not strength.
  • DAM5412
    "Whiles I have found low carb gives you quicker weightloss and good for diabetics"

Incorrect. Calorie deficit = weight loss. So low carb coupled with high fat is just asking for trouble.

Again, false. Low carb and low fat causes problems with low energy, headaches, fatigue, etc...because the only thing left to be high is protein and high protein with low carbs and fat is hard for your body to digest.
  • DAM5412
    I could spend all day here, calling out the half-truths and opinions stated as facts, but unfortunately that's not productive for anyone.

Low carb is a sustainable long-term lifestyle for millions of people. Calorie restriction is not.

Carbs are not NECESSARY for any body function.

Energy comes from calories, calories come from carbs, fat and protein.

Strength comes from muscle. Muscle is built through exercise, not carbs.

Endurance comes from training. Many strength and endurance athletes eat low carb.

Low carb nutrition is often prescribed by real doctors and nutritionists for many health issues, including insulin resistance, diabetes and epilepsy.

Low carb diets have been around as long as people have been around. It is not a fad, an extreme or a quick fix, by any measure.

For the OP, just do your research, both online and as well in observing your own progress and well being based on changes you make thoughtfully. Every BODY is different. What works really well for one person may in fact be detrimental to another. You will get all kinds of bad advice on these forums, but there are also many jewels. Just take what works for you and leave the rest.
  • shortnsassy1981
    shortnsassy1981 Posts: 154 Member
    edited November 2014

Why?

Why? Seems to me it depends on the person, and what he or she finds satisfying. For me eating about 150 g carbs seems to work best, although it might change over time. I can totally see that for someone else eating, say, less than 50 grams and more fat might work, especially if carbs made that person feel less satiated.
    So if you are just eating fat and not reducing your calorie intake, then what is the point of a low carb diet?

Typically, people on low carb diets eat some carbs and of course protein, not just fat. Also, more to the point, IMO low carb diets work because they are an easier way for some people to cut calories or naturally just eat fewer calories than they otherwise would.

They are recommended only as a short term fix. Any more than taking on a low carb diet for a few weeks is bad. Why do you think that the Atkins diet has been so controversial? Carbs are not bad. The body needs them for energy.

"You see, most of us require some level of carbohydrates to function at our best over the long term. Sure, we can cut carbs temporarily if we need to lose weight quickly. But for most of us, keeping carbs too low for too long can have disastrous consequences. This is especially true for those of us who work out. If you’re sedentary, your carb needs are lower. So you might be able to get away with more restriction.

In other words: Your metabolism might slow, your stress hormones go up and your muscle-building hormones go down.

"An earlier study has already highlighted the fact that long-term carbohydrate restriction can increase the risk of osteoporosis, with attendant risks of bone fractures, spinal collapse and nerve damage. What-is-more, although in a few studies it has been shown to improve certain cardiac risk factors, a low-carbohydrate diet limits the intake of a wide range of plant-derived chemicals, such as flavonoids, carotenoids, and antioxidants, that may help prevent heart disease, cancer, and other disorders. Rather cancelling out any claimed benefits, wouldn't you say"

Copied and pasted from http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/diet/atkins_diet/medical_report.htm
    ----

I know tons of high performance body builders who are low carb. I eat less than 30-75 net grams of carbs a day and I bike 15 miles a day and lift heavy 3 times a week with no problems. I also just ran my first half marathon with no issues. No one is saying one diet has to be better than the other. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with long term low carb. The body does not need carbs for fuel if it has fat to burn. I also eat a ton of veggies. You can eat copious amounts of nutrient dense vegetables on a low carb diet, and I get plenty of calcium from veggies and raw milk. And I actually don't eat super high fat. I get the natural fat from my protein sources and I use small amounts of coconut or avocado oil when cooking some of my vegetables. I also eat an average of 1500-1900 calories a day and I'm only 5ft tall. I am insulin resistant and carb sensitive. I struggle to maintain on a standard American diet at 1200-1400 calories even when working out. And yes I know how to accurately track my calories and weigh my food. It's all about finding what is best for your body and your sustainability.
  • martyqueen52
    edited November 2014
    Removed for the sake or arguing with dumb people... not even worth it.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited November 2014
    DAM5412 wrote: »
    I could spend all day here, calling out the half-truths and opinions stated as facts, but unfortunately that's not productive for anyone.

Low carb is a sustainable long-term lifestyle for millions of people. Calorie restriction is not.

Carbs are not NECESSARY for any body function.

Energy comes from calories, calories come from carbs, fat and protein.

Strength comes from muscle. Muscle is built through exercise, not carbs.

Endurance comes from training. Many strength and endurance athletes eat low carb.

Low carb nutrition is often prescribed by real doctors and nutritionists for many health issues, including insulin resistance, diabetes and epilepsy.

Low carb diets have been around as long as people have been around. It is not a fad, an extreme or a quick fix, by any measure.

For the OP, just do your research, both online and as well in observing your own progress and well being based on changes you make thoughtfully. Every BODY is different. What works really well for one person may in fact be detrimental to another. You will get all kinds of bad advice on these forums, but there are also many jewels. Just take what works for you and leave the rest.

I agree with a lot of what you stated, however you can't say that you could call out opinions stated as facts and then say "Calorie Restriction is not (sustainable)". One, low carb is in a sense calorie restriction and two, it may not be for you, but it may be for other people very sustainable.
  • martyqueen52
    I eat 400g of carbs daily... am I low carb? Plz tell me so I am!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    Weight loss = DEFICIT FROM CALORIES..... NOT CARBS.

You are really asking for me to bring out Captain Obvious. No one is saying or has yet said that the reduction in carbs on it's own is what causes weight loss. The contrary has been repeatedly expressed. You should unbunch your panties. Perhaps the kind of attention you seek can be found elsewhere. Say in the Chat, Fun, and gif section perhaps?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

umm, good for you? Do you need attention or something?
  • I personally have changed to low carb as a lifestyle. I've lost 20 pounds in two months by following The New Atkins food ladder. I am eating a mostly clean diet. I no longer have cravings that the "bad" carbs cause. (Sugar was the root of my food addiction) I get most of my carbs from vegetables. The rest from berries, melon & dairy. Unfortunately people think "low carb" means "no carb". Yes I've had to give up things, good things, and maybe forever. But I've approached this as a lifestyle change and not a diet.
  • martyqueen52

umm, good for you? Do you need attention or something?

Nah bruh, do you?

• I do great on low carb. Who wants to eat broccoli and Kale when you can eat bacon and steak.
  • eldamiano wrote: »

Why?

Say what again? I have been eating low carb for long time. Damn, I should have been dead by now if it was so bad.

• eldamiano wrote: »

Why?

----

LOL
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    edited November 2014

Why?

----

LOL

My response, too. There is so much "can," "may," "if," and "might" in there that the authors shouldn't have bothered at all.

Nice use of unscientific language and FUD, though. "Wouldn't you say"...LOL.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    baconslave wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    High carb, low carb, keto...it all requires moderation as you will need a deficit to lose weight regardless of the plan you go for. So to answer the OP, it's not an either/or. Low Carb will require moderation as well.

^This.
    I'd like a definition of "moderation". It's kinda squishy like "clean". :wink:

Okay. "Not excessive." As with "healthy"--another subjective thing--it varies depending on one's overall goals. IMO, if you eat something to the extent that you fail to get adequate nutrition overall or gain weight or your diet fails to further other goals of yours, you are not eating moderately.

Unlike "clean" it does not mean that people who eat foods you don't are dirty or unclean or eat dirty or unclean food, and thus it is not rude in the same way.
    Clean isn't rude. It's interpreted by some as rude.

It's rude. Saying that foods others eat are not "clean" is not a factual statement. It is an insult, and thus rude.

Also, continuing to use it after knowing others perceive it as rude or insulting would be rather impolite at the least even if it weren't already on its face rude. This is why I often ask why insist upon the terminology after that is known, especially since it adds nothing and is less clear than using something like "I eat mostly whole foods" or "I don't eat processed foods" (although the latter is almost always a lie). The fact that no one can give a good answer to this supports my belief that the insult is intended.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    You might find South Beach Diet easier than Atkins. You don't need to count carbs. You just avoid sugar, white rice, white potatoes, white flour, white bread, etc. Instead, you eat the whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc. You substitute sweet potatoes for white potatoes. And so on. It's not a hard diet plan. But, you can also just count calories and eat whatever you want in moderation. Either way works.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

Why?

Recommended by whom?

Low carb doesn't require that carbs be bad. It can premised on the idea that some people are better able to maintain a calorie deficit or even eat in maintenance if they restrict their carbs. It also doesn't mean no carb, and whether it works for you or not depends on how you feel on it.