My Wedding Ring is falling Off.

Options
2»

Replies

• kkellam1
    kkellam1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    But I don't know what an eternity ring is.

It is a token of affection given to your partner when it seems like it has been an eternity and there
    is nothing else you can think to do. ;)

That's funny! I have 20 years of marriage under my belt, so I am often in that "don't know what to give" situation. But this kind of sounds like a marketing ploy from jewelery companies to create more business. Maybe I am just cynical...

I have fourteen years of marriage under my belt, and "this kind of sounds like a marketing ploy from jewelry companies to create more business" kind of sounds like you can't figure out what to give, but you're pretty sure you don't want it to be over $20. Maybe I am just cynical. :tongue:

BTW, OP - Congrats!!!

I can see how you'd think that but you are wrong in this case. After 20 years, there's not much jewelry my wife hasn't gotten. So that's pretty much out these days. I am actually pretty generous and thoughtful. For example, how many husbands have taken their wive's on a Caribean vacation and set up a suprise renewal of the vows, with flowers, music, preacher, rings, photographer, followed by champagne and fruit on the beach with a private waiter borrowed from one of the restaurants? All set up by me, without her knowing a single thing about it? I love my wife and am not too cheap to show it.

I am simply stating that in 20 years marriage (and little jewelry shopping prior to that), I have never heard of an eternity ring. It certainly didn't exist for our parents and grandparents. So for it to be presented like it's a tradition or something, strikes me as something that somebody made up one day and it stuck. Like a promise ring, which is only a ring that a guy gives when he is too chicken to give an engagement ring but wants to make a girl happy. :)
  • WEN575
    WEN575 Posts: 34
    Options
    I am an Australia, an eternity ring is traditional here and in Europe I think as my parents are Polish and my mum has an eternity ring. It is usually given after the first year of marriage or when the first child is born. (Our first child was 5 when we got married) but I didn't get my eternity ring until after 6 years of marriage (it was a belated Christmas present....our anniversary is in October). Sorry I didn't realise it was not an international tradition.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    "eternity ring" just means that the deisgn of the band includes diamonds all the way around. So even if you're looking at the palm of the hand, you see diamonds. Anyone can get one, or wear one, it's not a specific gift for any particular milestone, "eternity" is the name of the design of the style.

SHEESH
  • WEN575
    WEN575 Posts: 34
    Options
    Lucky that's not the case over here and that is not what my eternity ring looks like.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!! I know exactly what you mean!! I just recently got my wedding set sized for the second time about 10 lbs ago. I still have about another 40 lbs left so I know I will need to again, atleast once more. I'm thankful we got the jewellry protection plan, it covers all the sizing, so I don't have to pay for it :) Between the sizing and getting them re-rhodiumed, I have made my money back and more on that plan lol
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    But I don't know what an eternity ring is.

It is a token of affection given to your partner when it seems like it has been an eternity and there
    is nothing else you can think to do. ;)

That's funny! I have 20 years of marriage under my belt, so I am often in that "don't know what to give" situation. But this kind of sounds like a marketing ploy from jewelery companies to create more business. Maybe I am just cynical...

I have fourteen years of marriage under my belt, and "this kind of sounds like a marketing ploy from jewelry companies to create more business" kind of sounds like you can't figure out what to give, but you're pretty sure you don't want it to be over $20. Maybe I am just cynical. :tongue:

BTW, OP - Congrats!!!

I can see how you'd think that but you are wrong in this case. After 20 years, there's not much jewelry my wife hasn't gotten. So that's pretty much out these days. I am actually pretty generous and thoughtful. For example, how many husbands have taken their wive's on a Caribean vacation and set up a suprise renewal of the vows, with flowers, music, preacher, rings, photographer, followed by champagne and fruit on the beach with a private waiter borrowed from one of the restaurants? All set up by me, without her knowing a single thing about it? I love my wife and am not too cheap to show it.

I am simply stating that in 20 years marriage (and little jewelry shopping prior to that), I have never heard of an eternity ring. It certainly didn't exist for our parents and grandparents. So for it to be presented like it's a tradition or something, strikes me as something that somebody made up one day and it stuck. Like a promise ring, which is only a ring that a guy gives when he is too chicken to give an engagement ring but wants to make a girl happy. :)

You didn't have to explain yourself to me - I was just teasing you. I am officially jealous of your wife, though. :laugh:

I think when our parents and grandparents were buying jewelry, they called an eternity ring a wedding band.
  • fatsnacker
    fatsnacker Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    well done for the weight you have lost so far. My wedding ring was loose on my finger when I married in 1993 but has been on my index finger for most of my married life as I put weight on and I hope that I can put it back on the correct finger this year.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!