How do you get motivated to work out when you're REALLY tired?

Replies

• AniLandSmiles
    AniLandSmiles Posts: 89 Member
    Dave198lbs wrote: »
    get naked and stand in front of the mirror ...Like what you see? go back to bed....Not happy with what you see? work out

This.

• erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Drink some pre-workout. You'll be motivated for it and blast through your workout in no time.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    I lift first thing in the morning. If I wait until after work, there are too many things that could happen to prevent me from going!
  • MattNorrisUL
    MattNorrisUL Posts: 100 Member
    megbee617 wrote: »
    Hi everyone -

I'm sure we've all been there: you slept 3 hours the night prior, worked a 10 hour day, you're STARVING because you're trying to stay under your calorie goal, but... you have to drag your butt to the gym.

What do you do to stay motivated and work out when all you want to do is go to bed??

You just have to do it. You sorta described my Tuesday. I woke up at 3:30 am and couldn't sleep. At about 4:30 am I was resigned to the fact I wasn't sleeping. I normally get up at 5. So I told myself to take advantage of this and I got up and did T25. I then went to work from 7am to 5pm. Took 3 daughters back and forth to dance, did some paperwork, then at 10pm I decided I needed to do another day of T25 (I had missed a day over the weekend). I was tired but you just have to decide what is more important. I finished the Total Body Circuit and then wake to the bed and fell asleep with in a few minutes.

You just have to decide that excercise is your priority.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    I'm 43. I took 5 years off. I'll be 44 next year. If I miss a day, a workout, I nearly hose my training schedule and my goals. I'm tired now. I only sleep three a night, but once I hit the rack the energy to lift and to kill my workout soars.

It's the sense of urgency that keeps me motivated.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Yep, like everyone else already said: I just go and don't over think it. I do what I can, even if it's just a walk on the treadmill. Getting my body moving and heart pumping almost always feels better than the way I feel after I skip a workout and then go home and take a nap. Ugh.

Granted, there are days (few and far between) when we all need to put sleep first, but as a general rule, getting moving is much more beneficial.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I don't worry about being motivated. I don't worry about whether or not the workout is going to be a great one. It doesn't have to be brilliant. I don't have to like it or be excited about it. It just has to be done, so how I feel doesn't matter.

So I go in the morning before I have a chance to think about it.

(Now, in reality, I LIKE swimming, so once I am in the pool and going, usually I am feeling more positive. But I don't have to. I just have to do it)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    What do you do to stay motivated and work out when all you want to do is go to bed??
    You *just* do it.

Sleep when you're done. For me, it's that which I must do in order to do other things I want to do. I also do it because I like being able to pick my wife up and carry her around as if she were nothing more than a backpack screaming, "Let me down!"
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    I tell myself. Now don't start that again! Because I know skipping one workout can easily lead tk skipping two or three. I just try and usually wind up enjoying it. And if it's half a$$ed or I have terrible form. I make it a short one.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    I agree with other posters...just get it under your belt and move on. You can sleep well that night knowing you did the work out. You deserve to look and feel your best, that is the only motivation I can give you.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    and in all reality, the gods of iron may be set against you that workout, but go in, start it, and finish *something*. Anything.

Then go rest. Make your offering of sweat though.
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    If I waited for motivation I'd never work out. Motivation does not have my address, won't call or text and will not willingly knock on my door. I've never met motivation and unsure if I ever will.

Schedule it in like work, make it a habit, and just do it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    and in all reality, the gods of iron may be set against you that workout, but go in, start it, and finish *something*. Anything.

Then go rest. Make your offering of sweat though.
    Egggggzactly.
    you always go to church. at least make the effort.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    For me, I often don't want to go to the gym at the end of the day. OFTEN. So, I drive straight there while chanting in my head: 10 minutes, 10 minutes, 10 minutes. Because I know that after those first 10 minutes, I'll keep going for 10 more, and 10 more and so on...

Getting started when I don't feel like doing it is the hardest, once I'm past that (by force, usually) it's smooth sailing.
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    I'm sure we've all been there: you slept 3 hours the night prior, worked a 10 hour day, you're STARVING because you're trying to stay under your calorie goal, but... you have to drag your butt to the gym.

This isn't me. Since I have a primary sleeping disorder, I don't do much on 3 hours of sleep. If I really had 3 hours of sleep the night before according to my fitbit, I'm probably going to bed at 8 PM or earlier regardless of anything else. I'm a danger to myself and others without adequate sleep (not an exaggeration).

If I'm starving, I'm going over my calorie goal that day. That's just the way it is. I'll try to eat something less than 500 calories so I'm still losing just not at a 1 lb/week pace. I don't starve myself. Ever. I don't find that healthy. I would rather go over and delay my progress than be starving.

So what do I do when I want to be lazy? I run anyway. I think to myself "Today could be a good run day." I never want to miss out on good run days. They usually happen on the day I'm feeling like there is no way I can run X miles. Then I do it, and I have way more energy than before I started. Plus, usually my runs make me not as hungry. The earlier I can get them in, the better they work for me.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    I do what a few others on here do. I tell myself just to go and commit to 10 minutes. Plus I remind myself that if I don't go then, I will feel worse later. 10 minutes of anything is better than nothing, right???

Once I get there, I usually get my full work out in. Some a half a$$ed, but some end up being some of my best!

My mantra? "Just DO IT" :)
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    this should pretty much answer your question on how to make it happen.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10017066/my-last-word-on-motivation/p1

Thank you for linking to this... this is EXACTLY what I needed to read. <3
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    you're welcome- it was a great write up- I hope it gets pinned.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    If I'm sick or injured, I let my coaches know and rest. If I just don't feel like it, I pull up my big girl panties and just get it done.
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Yep first thing in the morning gets it done. I put on my workout gear as soon as I wake up... Than just walk out of the door! Don't think! :-) or if you're super tired and sleep deprived, sleep, then walk out the door :-)