New, running not an option

Options
mugfilms
mugfilms Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2014 in Introduce Yourself
As a fat kid growing up most of my life, then a rather studly soldier, then sliding back into obesity, I'm really looking forward to getting fit again and will hopefully be able to maintain that in the long term.
About 240 now, goal is 180 . I'm not afraid of bad/cheat days as long as I keep the big picture in mind.
One drawback is that due to a lingering Army injury I cannot run or jog for any extended length of time. I may regain this ability as I lose weight and take the pressure and impact off my ankle, but for now it is not a good idea.
If anyone out there has a similar experience or knows any good alternative for cardio exercises I'd be glad to her them. I've recently focused on strength training but what I'm doing now doesn't seem to count against gross calories.
Anyway, thanks for your consideration and I'm happy to share this experience with all of you.

Replies

• mellyo77
    mellyo77 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I too cannot run. I struggle because I immediately develop chin splints also I just hate running...like passionately.....if there were a zombie invasion at this point I would be done. It sucks but there are some amazing alternatives to running for cardio. I know for me spin class, or stationary and regular bike riding, swimming, and even kettlebells which build muscle and provide cardio (depending on the circuit ) are amazing.....good luck. I am new (just rejoined the site) but you can add me if you want :)
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Hey! Thank you for your service! There are lots of cardio options that are not running. Feel free to add me.
  • YoEdward
    Options
    I know a few body builders and they keep telling me and friends that since they are so big they really don't run at all. All they do is walk for an hour or walk up hill on the tread mill for an hour or more depends on how they feel. After running 12 miles I couldn't run my usual 5K daily so I do Punching Bag drills, shadow boxing. Also one thing that I really recommend is having a Hear Rate Monitor, I just bought my second one in one month and it's amazing, no more guessing or being confused on how much did I burn, hope it helps. If you need references let me know.. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE
  • nikiramirez
    Options
    Welcome :) You're in the right place to find ideas that'll work for you... running and high impact don't have to be answer either! I do run, and like it (self-torture I guess) but it isn't by any means my main method of fitness... I love PiYo and Yoga - so much good, hard work and great results. Anyway, you're going to do great!
  • NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your Army service. I do not run due to bad knees developed while in the Navy. I do however walk and that is my main form of exercise. I do some weights and getting a HRM is a must. Anything you do can burn calories, so go and get one. You will do great and you are at the right site. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I agree with walk. I have severe arthritis in my lumbar and sacroiliac (SI) and there isn't a cardio exercise that won't aggravate the SI. I bought a pair of elbow crutches, that may do your ankle great benefit at this point, in order to keep the weight off my left (worse) side and I go as far as I can as fast as I can.
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Walking is what I did. Running would bring back a bad Patella injury so I walked. I'd walk for my work breaks, walk for my lunch, walk the dogs. I'd keep up a high pace. 4.0-4.5mph. I did do some biking and I'd jog when I felt like I could, however the two biggest things were my eating habits and walking. Now that I'm down ~60 pounds, I can do a lot more however and I'd hope for you that is the case as well. Good luck!
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    A Concept2 rowing machine is an all out amazing low impact cardio option. I tried jogging/running and was not appealing.

A couple / few days spent on focusing on proper form and it's an amazing full body workout.

• Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Walking, pool, weight lifting, cycling

Just no curling in the squat rack.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Bike, row, shadow boxing with hand weights
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    mugfilms wrote: »
    As a fat kid growing up most of my life, then a rather studly soldier, then sliding back into obesity, I'm really looking forward to getting fit again and will hopefully be able to maintain that in the long term.
    About 240 now, goal is 180 . I'm not afraid of bad/cheat days as long as I keep the big picture in mind.
    One drawback is that due to a lingering Army injury I cannot run or jog for any extended length of time. I may regain this ability as I lose weight and take the pressure and impact off my ankle, but for now it is not a good idea.
    If anyone out there has a similar experience or knows any good alternative for cardio exercises I'd be glad to her them. I've recently focused on strength training but what I'm doing now doesn't seem to count against gross calories.
    Anyway, thanks for your consideration and I'm happy to share this experience with all of you.

I can't run. But holy crimoly can I SWIM!

So, yeah. I smell of chlorine and insanity most days.

The thing is, when people recommend swimming to former runners, they talk about how wonderful, how joint-friendly, what a lovely all-body workout that is. How delicious a swim is and how mellow and wonderful you feel afterwards.

And that's true.

Except...

Swimming is incredibly technical. I mean like Ballet or Kung Fu levels of technical. So you won't be able to leap into the pool and glide through a wonderful workout at first. If you're not already a swimmer, you're going to start out feeling clumsy as all hell.

It's when you get past that that you start to feel so wonderful.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Bi-cycle!
    BI-cycle!
    (I want to ride my bicycle! I want to ride my bike!)
  • mugfilms
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, guys. I'll look at my options and put them to good use.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical. Cycling and swimming are good too.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    I live on the elliptical due to two knee surgeries for overuse injuries caused by many years of running in the service. Should have paid attention when they kept telling me to get good pairs of running shoes. The rowing machine is a very good no impact option also, along with swimming and stationary or regular biking. I can't bike because I like doing exercise that incorporates my own body weight. I think I'll try running again when I get down to my goal weight. I really liked it but my knees really hate it at this point. Are you doing cardio for the calorie burn or to strengthen your cardiovascular system?
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    try elliptical trainers or stationary bicycles... recumbent or standard... swimming... working with medicine balls... OR... lift light... really fast... introduce circuit training...
  • mugfilms
    Options
    Both. Focusing more on calories, but I'll take the other benefits with it.
  • gary622
    gary622 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nthing elliptical -- I used to run in my younger days, my back got to where it really hurt when I ran, and then an accident (motorcycle) put me on an artificial hip and that means NO high-impact. Elliptical is the thing that gives me the closest feeling mentally (and in terms of HR/sweating/etc.) to a run.
  • AcadianRedneck
    AcadianRedneck Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm new as well ..... Cannot run due to a bad knee, but I do lots of walking as well as cycling.
    Welcome aboard Mug !
  • acf6b
    acf6b Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    mugfilms wrote: »

First thank you for your service. I have a bad knee which I am overcoming and from what I am guessing new found shin splints(sharp pain in one spot on my left shin that goes to my foot) when I run/walk. I was 198 with a goal of 175, I am now 179. My main source of cardio is a recumbent(spelling) bike that I purchased but I also started focusing on other things, such as balance, standing at work, etc. I am a geek so i play video games, so the bike is nice and I have a balance board that I use. I couldn't run at all when i started out because of my knee but that pain is gone now. My shin will act up but nowhere near as bad as my knee was. The balance board helped a lot, I also am training in the "barefoot" type of shoes, I have basically really just started to retrain myself how to walk and slowly to run. feel free if you would like to add me as a friend on here. I also use a fitbit everyday if you get anything like that. I can always share stuff I am doing and how it works, etc.