I gained weight? WTF?

Options
I'm stressed about my weigh-in tomorrow morning. It seems this week I have gained weight, not lost, for the first time. It's nothing substantial, perhaps a 1lb, but it bothers me none the less. I have been super good this week, almost spot on with calories and worked out at least 20 min (and some days over an hour) 6 times this week! I am trying to tell myself it's muscle I've gained or I'm retaining water, but I am still feeling like a failure.

Replies

• sarahtroupe
    sarahtroupe Posts: 164
    Options
    AWW UR NOT A FAILURE SOMETIMES IT JUS TAKES TIME FOR THE WEIGHT TO FALL OFF!!! JUST KEEP AT IT... GOOD LUCK
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Don't feel like a failure! Even Biggest Loser contestants have gains some weeks and losing weight is their full-time job! They have world-class trainers, doctors and nutritionists at their beck and call and they work out like lunatics. But you still see gains and they always even out in the end.

Remember, the week-to-week is just a tool for information gathering and pattern tracking. The long-term trends are what to watch. :)
  • marte80
    marte80 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You may not lose this week and you may lose 5 lbs not week, weigh in can be tricky. Don't give up, whatever you are doing has worked...you've lost 36 lbs. Stay motivated.
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You are doing VERY well. Do not let this bother you...I have a 2-3 pound fluctuation - constantly. Your sodium is VERY high...this is probably the reason. The new guidelines are 1500mg. You might want to try to wean down some. Just drink a lot of water tonight...and what ever the outcome, do not let it get you down!!!!
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hey! I looked through your diary for the past few days, and it looks like you're going over on Sodium. That being said, it very well could be water retention. Keep an eye on how much sodium is in the food you're getting. If it's pre-made or quick and easy, it probably is loaded with sodium. Hang in there!
  • n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Options
    It's probably the sodium love. It's been over the past few days. Keep drinking water to flush it out your system! Good luck
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've really tried to watch sodium, but with my busy life, it's all but impossible to find foods with small enough amounts. I have maybe a 15 min lunch break at work, so something microwaved is kinda my best option, at least better than fast food. I like soup, but even the "low sodium" ones are super high.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    make sure you're measuring!! i've been the same weight this whole entire week even though i've been really good! so i decided to take my measurements again to see what the deal was, and i lost an inch in my butt!! :)
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Do you have a slow cooker? You can make soups and whatnot in that and then you're controlling what goes in, and you can make enough to last and freeze them. Also, salads with chicken that you cook yourself are great. Now that I've cut back on my sodium, I don't really like it on much of anything, and can *really* taste it.
  • teebeegeebee
    teebeegeebee Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I would tend to agree with Losingit2011's comment you seem to have a lot of sodium rich food - is that down to liking the taste or choosing products that the manufacturers are claiming to be "lite, low fat, fat free, good for you, healty option etc etc " as here is an observation they are none of that - the makers add salt to give them flavour, and other chemicals
    When you are shopping for food - pick up the package and look at the label - the ideal guide is to select food produce below 240mg/100g sodium - dont forget we are counting our food so 1 tsp of normal sour cream is only slightly higher in fat than light sour cream and usually has far less sodium, same for other foods, yoghourts, sauces etc etc - i use normal cream, spreads cheese yoghurts - we just eat less of it - 3/4 tsp instead of full one etc
    Losing weight is a very difficult thing to do well as we all discover and the food manufacturers see this as an opportunity to cash in and sell us something we dont need.
    When you next shop - go to the baking isle and take out the same number of bags of flouror sugar as the weight you have lost - pick them all up at once if you can and its safe! be amazed, pat yourself on the back, put them back and carry on. Purchase what you like with some sense and just stick to your plan
    you will achieve your goals just be patient

good luck you are doing what you need to get there
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Everyone has such good ideas! I really appreciate the advice... I do take measurements, but haven't for a little while because the last time I measured I weighed nearly 10lbs less that the time before, and hadn't lost an inch anywhere. I just figured it was because I didn't do it right one of the times, since I would have had to have lost something somewhere!